Old 05-31-2011, 05:04 PM
"Rippl, Steve"

Default Sabayon and Unity Interface

Hi,
There's a thread running at the moment about current versions of Ubuntu/Edubuntu and their respective support for things, but I'm specifically interested in (concerned about) the new Unity UI and the profile lockdown tool Sabayon in future LTS versions.

We've been running pure thin clients (no local apps) in our school district for a few years now and things are working really very well. *A key part to it is the fact that Sabayon has worked properly recently. *We're currently on 10.04 and haven't tested anything later than that yet, but a brief Google does show up bugs filed against Sabayon to say it isn't working with Unity. *Now I know that currently you can revert back to the regular Gnome 2, but what's the direction for 12.04 and 14.04, I don't imagine Gnome 2 will continue to be around for ever?! *Is there a commitment in the Edubuntu team to keep Sabayon working as well as it does now (in 10.04)? *We really rely on it!

Thanks,Steve
--
Steve Rippl
Technology Director

Old 05-31-2011, 08:51 PM
"Jonathan Carter (highvoltage)"

Hi Steve

On 31/05/11 01:04 PM, Rippl, Steve wrote:
> There's a thread running at the moment about current versions of
> Ubuntu/Edubuntu and their respective support for things, but I'm
> specifically interested in (concerned about) the new Unity UI and the
> profile lockdown tool Sabayon in future LTS versions.

Where is this thread if I may ask?

> We've been running pure thin clients (no local apps) in our school district
> for a few years now and things are working really very well. A key part to
> it is the fact that Sabayon has worked properly recently. We're currently
> on 10.04 and haven't tested anything later than that yet, but a brief Google
> does show up bugs filed against Sabayon to say it isn't working with Unity.
> Now I know that currently you can revert back to the regular Gnome 2, but
> what's the direction for 12.04 and 14.04, I don't imagine Gnome 2 will
> continue to be around for ever?! Is there a commitment in the Edubuntu team
> to keep Sabayon working as well as it does now (in 10.04)? We really rely
> on it!

The Gnome 2 series has been abandoned upstream, so it is indeed going
away in future releases, which pretty much leaves Gnome 3 and Unity for
the gnome-based desktops (how 'gnomey' unity is is debatable, but that's
another discussion entirely).

If Unity and Gnome 3 has lock down features configurable through
gconf/dcond/gsettings/etc, then it shouldn't be too hard getting it into
Sabayon. Unity upstream is quite responsive to bug reports, so a good
exercise would be to check what can actually be locked down in Unity
currently and file bugs for the things that can't. In it's current state
(which is probably more of a bug than a feature) Unity isn't very
customizable anyway. It would also be nice to know the most important
features you use in Sabayon. Not sure how great xnest/xephyr/etc will
work with Unity 3D, but also worth testing.

From the Edubuntu development team we can't really make a hard
commitment, but we take feedback from the community very seriously
(pretty much everything we've been working on the last 2 years have been
based exclusively on user requests) and it's early in the development
cycle so we can at least put priority to it and make some noise about it
and even hopefully get some people excited about it and get them to
contribute to it.

Otherwise, thanks for your e-mail, the feedback is greatly appreciated!

-Jonathan

Old 05-31-2011, 08:51 PM
"Jonathan Carter (highvoltage)"

Hi Steve

On 31/05/11 01:04 PM, Rippl, Steve wrote:
> There's a thread running at the moment about current versions of
> Ubuntu/Edubuntu and their respective support for things, but I'm
> specifically interested in (concerned about) the new Unity UI and the
> profile lockdown tool Sabayon in future LTS versions.

Where is this thread if I may ask?

> We've been running pure thin clients (no local apps) in our school district
> for a few years now and things are working really very well. A key part to
> it is the fact that Sabayon has worked properly recently. We're currently
> on 10.04 and haven't tested anything later than that yet, but a brief Google
> does show up bugs filed against Sabayon to say it isn't working with Unity.
> Now I know that currently you can revert back to the regular Gnome 2, but
> what's the direction for 12.04 and 14.04, I don't imagine Gnome 2 will
> continue to be around for ever?! Is there a commitment in the Edubuntu team
> to keep Sabayon working as well as it does now (in 10.04)? We really rely
> on it!

The Gnome 2 series has been abandoned upstream, so it is indeed going
away in future releases, which pretty much leaves Gnome 3 and Unity for
the gnome-based desktops (how 'gnomey' unity is is debatable, but that's
another discussion entirely).

If Unity and Gnome 3 has lock down features configurable through
gconf/dcond/gsettings/etc, then it shouldn't be too hard getting it into
Sabayon. Unity upstream is quite responsive to bug reports, so a good
exercise would be to check what can actually be locked down in Unity
currently and file bugs for the things that can't. In it's current state
(which is probably more of a bug than a feature) Unity isn't very
customizable anyway. It would also be nice to know the most important
features you use in Sabayon. Not sure how great xnest/xephyr/etc will
work with Unity 3D, but also worth testing.

From the Edubuntu development team we can't really make a hard

Old 05-31-2011, 09:09 PM
David Groos

Hey Steve--glad to hear of your success with the pure thin clients and that it's working for your teachers.¬* A month ago Jonathan posted this blog post: http://jonathancarter.org/2011/05/10/whats-happening-in-edubuntu-for-oneiric/ and towards the bottom of that post is the following quote:

Big Hairy¬*Audacious¬*Goals
If our goal is to bring the best of educational free software
available together in one easy to install system then I think this
release will get us there, but where to next? We want to grow the
Edubuntu community but we can’t do that unless we add some new and
exciting things to our to do list. One thing that has come up over and
over again and that I bought up in the UDS session but we got no answer
for is in which direction we should start going next.

I would call this a 'request-for-visions' and thank Jonathan for asking for it (thanks Jonathan )¬* As a 'big hairy audacious goals', something exciting and motivating, even inspirational for us Edubuntistas would be to focus on the System.¬*

The biggest difference between a beautifully working car and one stuck on the side of the road isn't mainly the parts--most of the parts are similar or even identical between the working and non-working.¬* The big difference is ONE of those parts in the 'dead' car is not working.¬* I'm proposing that we focus on creating a great system--where every (essential) part is working.¬* That means figuring out the key parts, making sure that each one of those parts works.¬* That is the most bottom line--each part has to work.¬* In a system it doesn't matter if you have the best and greatest part--say an engine--if any one of the other parts--say the brakes--are flaky.¬* This would produce a death machine--not a nice car.

So, Steve, I'm agreeing with you that we need Sabayon working (it is a critical part).¬* And I'm raising you 1: let's figure out the essential parts of Edubuntu and make them ALL work--let's focus on the system.¬* What do you (all) think?

David

Old 06-01-2011, 03:12 PM
"Rippl, Steve"

Hi Jonathon,

Thanks for the swift and positive response... see below/inline for my reply...

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/edubuntu-users/2011-May/006725.html

> > We've been running pure thin clients (no local apps) in our school district
> > for a few years now and things are working really very well. *A key part to
> > it is the fact that Sabayon has worked properly recently. *We're currently
> > on 10.04 and haven't tested anything later than that yet, but a brief Google
> > does show up bugs filed against Sabayon to say it isn't working with Unity.
> > *Now I know that currently you can revert back to the regular Gnome 2, but
> > what's the direction for 12.04 and 14.04, I don't imagine Gnome 2 will
> > continue to be around for ever?! *Is there a commitment in the Edubuntu team
> > to keep Sabayon working as well as it does now (in 10.04)? *We really rely
> > on it!
>
> The Gnome 2 series has been abandoned upstream, so it is indeed going
> away in future releases, which pretty much leaves Gnome 3 and Unity for
> the gnome-based desktops (how 'gnomey' unity is is debatable, but that's
> another discussion entirely).
>
> If Unity and Gnome 3 has lock down features configurable through
> gconf/dcond/gsettings/etc, then it shouldn't be too hard getting it into
> Sabayon. Unity upstream is quite responsive to bug reports, so a good
> exercise would be to check what can actually be locked down in Unity
> currently and file bugs for the things that can't. In it's current state
> (which is probably more of a bug than a feature) Unity isn't very
> customizable anyway. It would also be nice to know the most important
> features you use in Sabayon. Not sure how great xnest/xephyr/etc will
> work with Unity 3D, but also worth testing.

The main focus for us is to simplify the interface for the students,
removing as many of the non-essential menu items, configuration
options, system settings etc etc. We don't necessarily want to
uninstall them all, so having control of the menu and being able to
lock it is great. <defensiveness> We don't do this to be mean, it's
just that given a button to press kids will press it, so we're simply
trying to keep them on task and stop them attempting to break their
desktop or wasting their teachers time. I'm sure some out there won't
agree with this approach, but with almost 1,000 computers in the
District this works for us </defensiveness>

So menu editing, hiding as much of the system/desktop configuration
settings as possible etc is our main use of Sabayon. We check the
various other boxes to disallow access to the command line etc, but
these don't work fully without some additional hacks. The Epiphany
stuff in Sabayon is pretty meaningless to us as we use Firefox.
Anyway, it's summer for us soon too so we'll do some serious testing
of it with 11.04 then and start filing the relevant bugs/feature
requests then...

> From the Edubuntu development team we can't really make a hard
> commitment, but we take feedback from the community very seriously
> (pretty much everything we've been working on the last 2 years have been
> based exclusively on user requests) and it's early in the development
> cycle so we can at least put priority to it and make some noise about it
> and even hopefully get some people excited about it and get them to
> contribute to it.

Well that does come across in that as I said things really are working
very well for us right now, thanks for what you do!

> Otherwise, thanks for your e-mail, the feedback is greatly appreciated!
>
> -Jonathan

Steve Rippl
Technology Director
Woodland Public Schools
360 841 2730

Old 06-01-2011, 04:55 PM
"Rippl, Steve"

Hi David,
A distribution like Ubuntu/Edubuntu is made up of very may parts, and fortunately for us if we've come across a "part" that didn't work correctly for us (in our environment) we've often found another that did OK, so the very modular nature of it has proven adaptable enough for the most part. ¬*We need that¬*flexibility¬*to make it fit in, but we also crave simplicity and stability! ¬*When a big part like the entire UI changes then that causes potential problems because of how many things are connected to it.

Google's Chrome OS is attractive in the sense of simplicity and (potential) stability, but perhaps it is not quite configurable enough! ¬*You certainly can't install all the additional software you can with Edubuntu (like our State's testing software, which you can in Ubuntu!). ¬*On the flip side (as an example) the time and effort it takes to lock down Firefox correctly for our needs, which we then have to redo whenever moving between major versions, is a pain! ¬*

I'd like to see more ability to make Edubuntu more of a Chrome OS like appliance front-end as far as users are concerned (just present the user with what they need, nothing more), but retaining the back-end flexibility to allow it to run in all the different environments we (other people) have. ¬*Ubuntu is clearly driven by the "personal computing device" issues, make it work on a tablet, make it look like OS X etc etc, which I understand for wanting to break into the main stream computing realm. ¬*This shouldn't be Edubuntu's drive, this isn't what we need in classrooms!

There's my 2 cent on the future direction of Edubunu!
Steve