Old 05-30-2011, 10:21 PM
David Groos

Default Planning for summer work/next school year

Hi Edubuntistas,

School year here in Minnesota is winding down, I'll take a bit of break, then will be back to preparing the technology for the next school year.* I've had great success with 10.04 with localapps.* Next year I want to move to Fat Clients.* I'm guessing I'm not alone in this.* My BIG QUESTION is, which Edubuntu should I use: 10.04, 10.10 or 11.4?* I've seen some passing comments on irc about this and some mention in this list-serve, but nothing comprehensive.* Some specific considerations include:

LTSP 5/Fat Client ease of use/setup

Compatibility with SmartBoard

Effectiveness of Video Codecs

LDAP integration

User management (like, users and groups)

Permissions management (like, Sabayon)

Internet Proxy/Site white/black-listing

Client management (like sch-scripts or iTALC)

Jonathan--wouldn't a comparison table like they do on wikipedia, be useful for something like this?* It would look nice on edubuntu.org * Actually, what I'll do is take notes from this discussion and put it on a public googledoc since, with its wysiwyg editing it's easy to make and share.

David

Old 05-31-2011, 01:20 AM
"Todd O'Bryan"

I'm using fat clients with 10.04 and it's fairly painless, even with a
lab that's split between fat and thin. I'm going to try upgrading to
11.04 after school gets out (on Thursday, yikes!), but I've been very
pleased with how easy it is to add new packages, upgrade, etc. (I do
wish there were fewer steps, but I suppose I could write a script to
help with that.)

I can't remember what I did to get LDAP to work on the fat clients--I
think it was enough to get LDAP working on the server, because the fat
clients log in through the server, then become independent machines,
but I can't remember at this point.

I'm going to be in and out of my lab working on a project all summer,
so I'd be happy to help out. I actually use a vanilla Ubuntu distro
with LTSP, rather than Edubuntu, but it feels as if Edubuntu has
become more a theme and set of packages than a separate distro.

Let me know what I can do to help!
Todd

Old 05-31-2011, 01:20 AM
"Todd O'Bryan"

Old 05-31-2011, 03:52 AM
David Groos

Hi Todd,

Great!*** Some people have previously posted some things on this forum and I'll hunt down that info and post it on the comparison page.* Also, with other people hopefully weighing in, let's see where we're at next weekend.* Here's a link to the page for everyone to peruse and I've given you editing rights.*

Any one else want to be able to edit the page? Excellent!* Let me know.

Thanks!

David

Old 05-31-2011, 03:52 AM
David Groos

Old 05-31-2011, 03:52 AM
David Groos

Old 05-31-2011, 09:23 AM
Gavin McCullagh

Hi,

On Mon, 30 May 2011, David Groos wrote:

> School year here in Minnesota is winding down, I'll take a bit of break,
> then will be back to preparing the technology for the next school year.
> I've had great success with 10.04 with localapps. Next year I want to move
> to Fat Clients. I'm guessing I'm not alone in this. My BIG QUESTION is,
> which Edubuntu should I use: 10.04, 10.10 or 11.4?

I can't speak about the LTSP aspect, but I've noticed some bugginess in
Natty. Gnome losing all settings (due to gconfd problem I suspect), I'm
not at all a fan of the ubiquiti desktop either -- though you can choose
classic view.

I'd be a little cautious, that's all. If the LTS release has everything
you want, it's like to be a slightly cleaner experience for now. 12.04 is
probably the next LTS release.

One thing that might be nice that I never thought of before would be to run
your LTS environment in LVM (the logical volume manager). Assuming you had
a modest amount of disk space free, you should be able to snapshot the
volumes, then run the upgrade, test it for a while and roll back if you're
not happy. You should be able to do this several times over the summer and
roll back each time. You might want to snapshot the home dirs too, as
programs may upgrade settings of users and then if you roll back, it may
not know what to do with them. If you're doing that, you need to warn
users that they may get their home dir rolled back.

Gavin

Old 05-31-2011, 09:23 AM
Gavin McCullagh