Old 05-12-2011, 02:41 PM
Lynne Happe

Default Tape Drive for Backups

I am in the process of buying a new server and networking equipment for a new charter school here in New Mexico. The company I work for, my real job, uses Dell servers with RedHat Linux. I plan on using the same Dell server since it is certified with Ubuntu and because if I have issues I have resources readily available. My question is about tape drives for backups. We use the HP*StorageWorks Ultrium 448 tape drive for backups, but when looking at this tape drive it states it works with RedHat Linux, but has no mention of Ubuntu.
I checked out the Ubuntu web page and while they have a list of supported netbooks, laptops, desktops and servers, I do not see anything about tape drives. I do not want to spend $1500 on a tape drive that does not work.
I do not need to buy this particular tape drive, it's just what we use and what I'm familiar with. This is an SAS tape drive.
Does anyone have any suggestions? *I have no idea how much data I will need to backup. Probably not a lot to begin with, but I want something that will work for 5 years growth. Our school will have about 200 students when we reach full size in three years, covering K - 8. The server will store a student management system, library system, web pages (eventually), and user files.

Thanks for any information! If there is a web page with this information, just let me know.
--
Lynne from NM

Old 05-12-2011, 05:24 PM
Mickey Moore

I use Seagate I Terrabyte USB Drives. I have three and I rotate them offsite. I keep multiple backups on each with a datestamped directory. Are you sure you want to use Tape?

-----Inline Attachment Follows-----