Old 11-26-2007, 08:59 AM
"Christian Jorgensen"

Default LTSP some LCD monitors hangs during init

Hi,

Â*

Does anyone else have this problemÂ*?

I have 10 identical clients Â*(MB: type intel
845) and various monitors (CRT and LCD)

On some monitors after the splash screen, i
get a blinking cursor in the top left corner.

Like if edubuntu is expecting some kind of return
that it isn’t getting or maybe the delay is too long.

If I switch the monitor, the same client will
work fine. Even if i boot the client plugging in the monitor only after

the login screen, i get a standard vga mode.
Then I can login and log out and thus the resolution is ok.

Â*

In the/var/lib/tftpboot/ltsp/i386/ lts.conf
file i tried settings like

X_MODE_0 = 1024x768

X_COLOR_DEPT = 16

Â*

But so far without any result.

Is there some way to Â*get linux not to wait for
confirmation that the image can be viewed or somethingÂ*?

Â*

Any suggestion will be appreciated.

Â*

Keep up the good work,

Regards

Christian Jorgensen

Old 11-26-2007, 12:58 PM
Gavin McCullagh

Hi,

On Mon, 26 Nov 2007, Christian Jorgensen wrote:

> On some monitors after the splash screen, i get a blinking cursor in the top
> left corner.
>
> If I switch the monitor, the same client will work fine. Even if i boot the
> client plugging in the monitor only after the login screen, i get a
> standard vga mode. Then I can login and log out and thus the resolution
> is ok.
>
> In the/var/lib/tftpboot/ltsp/i386/ lts.conf file i tried settings like
>
> X_MODE_0 = 1024x768
> X_COLOR_DEPT = 16

The latter is spelt incorrectly, it should be X_COLOR_DEPTH. I presume you
got that right in the test?

> But so far without any result.
>
> Is there some way to get linux not to wait for confirmation that the image
> can be viewed or something ?

I don't think it's waiting for confirmation. It sounds like X
configuration has bombed out somehow. These parameters seem worth trying
setting:

X_HORZSYNC min-max MHz autdetected use for
forcing X_MODE
X_VERTREFRESH min-max Hz autdetected use for
forcing X_MODE
X_COLOR_DEPTH 2, 4, 8, 16, 24, 32 32 set to 16bit
to save client mem

If you can set the thin client root password and login to the client, you
should be able to see what values work (when you get it working by
unplugging the monitor) by looking in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EdubuntuFAQ#head-285f03d2d3ed2f29847c7793dbdb8f1488814c1b
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DebugThinClientLogin

You can get a more verbose boot up by editing the file
/var/lib/tftpboot/ltsp/i386/pxelinux.cfg/default and removing the words
"splash" and "quiet".

Gavin

Old 11-27-2007, 09:39 PM
"Christian Jorgensen"

Thanks for the reply, Gavin.

Funny thing is that first of all i tried leaving out quiet splash from the
pxelinux.cfg/default after what the other monitors won't start either. After
'*Running local boot scripts (/etc/rc.local) [OK]', the cursor
blinks and nothing more happens.
If I press 'enter' i get a prompt:

Ubuntu 7.10 ltsp tty1
ltsp login:

,where i can only login as root.

OK maybe this will help: I log in as root and type 'startx'. This gives at
the end 'Fatal server error: no screens found

There is also some other (minor ?) parse errors in the Section "Monitor":
'Modelname "CMC 17" AD"'
Looks like there is a quotation too many ? Could this be it ??

Otherwise:
I followed the procedure to get the settings that should work from the
/etc/X11/xorg.conf and my lts.conf is now as follows:

###

[default]
X_HORZSYNC=30.0-60.0
X_VERTREFRESH=60.0-70.0
X_COLOR_DEPTH=16

But still with no result.
Your help is very much appreciated.

Regards,
Christian.

-----------------

Old 11-27-2007, 10:18 PM
Gavin McCullagh

Hi,

On Tue, 27 Nov 2007, Christian Jorgensen wrote:

> Funny thing is that first of all i tried leaving out quiet splash from the
> pxelinux.cfg/default after what the other monitors won't start either. After
> '*Running local boot scripts (/etc/rc.local) [OK]', the cursor
> blinks and nothing more happens.

Hmmm. Maybe X doesn't start if you use these for some reason.

> OK maybe this will help: I log in as root and type 'startx'. This gives at
> the end 'Fatal server error: no screens found
>
> There is also some other (minor ?) parse errors in the Section "Monitor":
> 'Modelname "CMC 17" AD"'
> Looks like there is a quotation too many ? Could this be it ??

You could try fixing it by removing the middle " and run startx again to
see what happens. If xorg.conf is not being correctly created, that would
be a problem. To work around a bad xorg.conf you could save a working
file in /opt/ltsp/i386/etc/X11/xorg-cj.conf, then add

XF86CONFIG_FILE=/etc/X11/xorg-cj.conf

and reboot. Rather than autodetect a new one, you could use the static
one. One way to get a working one would be to try gicinh fixing it.
Another would be to use a live cd in the client (say ubuntu or knoppix),
boot it up and snag the working xorg.conf.

> I followed the procedure to get the settings that should work from the
> /etc/X11/xorg.conf and my lts.conf is now as follows:

Except that it didn't work when you looked at that right?

Gavin

Old 11-30-2007, 12:32 PM
"Christian Jorgensen"

Hi again,

This post is just to round up this thread.
I tried the things you suggested in the last post, but with no luck My
system just got more and more messed up.
So finally, doing a new, clean install i am now left with only one monitor
that causes problems (even the edubuntu livecd will not boot on this one !).
I guess i'll use it for something else.... But thanks for your time anyway.

Christian J.