Old 03-28-2011, 08:47 PM
Lee Harr

Default sound suddenly stopped working

Suddenly today the sound on all of my thin clients stopped
working.

When I try to play a sound, I get a message in .xession-errors

ALSA lib pcm_pulse.c:732pulse_prepare) PulseAudio: Unable to create stream: No such entity

Where should I look first to try and fix this?

Old 03-29-2011, 05:25 PM
Lee Harr

> Suddenly today the sound on all of my thin clients stopped
> working.
>

> When I try to play a sound, I get a message in .xession-errors
>
> ALSA lib pcm_pulse.c:732pulse_prepare) PulseAudio: Unable to create stream: No such entity

Looking in /etc/pulse I see there was a recent change to
/etc/pulse/default.pa
which may be the root of my problem.

Does anyone have a working default.pa they could post?

Am I supposed to have either /dev/dsp or /dev/snd/* on the server?
There are none of those.

I was also thinking of trying to go back to an earlier kernel
to see if that was the problem, but I cannot get grub to give
me the boot menu. What is the best way to get grub to pause
and let me choose from earlier kernels?

Old 03-29-2011, 05:51 PM
Lee Harr

> > Suddenly today the sound on all of my thin clients stopped
> > working.

> I was also thinking of trying to go back to an earlier kernel
> to see if that was the problem,

Looking in my /lib/modules I see that there is no longer any
snd-pcm-oss.ko
In the folder for the latest kernel.

That may be the problem.

I guess I can't just copy those modules over from
2.6.32-26-generic to 2.6.35-28-generic

> but I cannot get grub to give
> me the boot menu. What is the best way to get grub to pause
> and let me choose from earlier kernels?

My server does a lot of strange menus before it ever gets
to grub, so pressing ESC is problematic.

Is there another way to make sure that grub menu comes up?

Or... maybe I can just edit something that will make
one of the other kernels the default.

Old 03-29-2011, 08:17 PM
David Groos

Here's mine: (from 10.04, 64b arch, if that matters)

http://pastie.org/1732512

Good Luck!
David

Old 03-29-2011, 08:25 PM
Lee Harr

> Here's mine: (from 10.04, 64b arch, if that matters)
>
> http://pastie.org/1732512

Ok. It is the same as mine, so that's not it. Thanks!

Old 03-29-2011, 09:10 PM
Lee Harr

>> When I try to play a sound, I get a message in .xession-errors
>> ALSA lib pcm_pulse.c:732pulse_prepare) PulseAudio: Unable to create stream: No such entity

That is only when playing from a regular thin app.
When playing from local apps there is just no sound.
That leads me to believe that the problem is in the clients.

Those should be playing the sound directly, right?

I keep a couple of the old /opt/ltsp directories around
and I've tried ones that I know had working sound, so...

>> I was also thinking of trying to go back to an earlier kernel
>> Is there another way to make sure that grub menu comes up?

> Try editing /etc/default/grub

Ok. I commented out the line
GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0

Then ran
update-grub

But going back to the earlier kernel did not repair my sound

>> Am I supposed to have either /dev/dsp or /dev/snd/* on the server?
>> There are none of those.

I notice that even with the older kernel I do not have these
devices. Are these needed with the Pulse Audio setup?

Maybe there is some other module that is not being loaded.

Any other hints? I'd rather not have to reinstall ...

Old 04-05-2011, 01:55 PM
Lee Harr

> Suddenly today the sound on all of my thin clients stopped
> working.

I got my sound working again by starting a totally fresh chroot with
ltsp-build-client

I don't know what was going on with the other (saved) ones that
had been working, but the new one has working sound again.

Now I am back to the problem where flash does not work
in localapps firefox. At some point (before the trouble with the
sound) that had started working again, but now it is back to just
showing a black box where the flash display should be.