Old 03-28-2011, 02:46 PM
Veli-Matti Lintu

Default Interactive whiteboards with Ubuntu

Hello everyone,

There are probably quite a few people here who are interested in interactive whiteboards and their linux compatibility. Finding up-to-date information on the different models and how to get them working with Ubuntu has been quite a challenge, so we decided to spend some time and do research on the different models available on the market.

We'll get some interactive whiteboards for testing from the local vendors in Finland within the next weeks and we'll document the findings in our blog. Suggestions on what to test and dirty hacks are welcome as we probably cannot figure out every possible problem on our own. We'll test both local installations and LTSP fat client setups.

There's more information in our blog:

http://www.opinsys.fi/en/interactive-whiteboards-and-linux

Happy hacking!

Veli-Matti

Old 03-28-2011, 02:50 PM
"Jonathan Carter (highvoltage)"

Hi Veli-Matti

There are probably quite a few people here who are interested in interactive whiteboards and their linux compatibility. Finding up-to-date information on the different models and how to get them working with Ubuntu has been quite a challenge, so we decided to spend some time and do research on the different models available on the market.

We'll get some interactive whiteboards for testing from the local vendors in Finland within the next weeks and we'll document the findings in our blog. Suggestions on what to test and dirty hacks are welcome as we probably cannot figure out every possible problem on our own. We'll test both local installations and LTSP fat client setups.

There's more information in our blog:

http://www.opinsys.fi/en/interactive-whiteboards-and-linux

Happy hacking!

Great! When you have some docs that you feel are ready let us know and
we can to it from the Edubuntu website as well. I think that will be
useful to many people.

-Jonathan

Old 04-20-2011, 12:41 PM
Veli-Matti Lintu

> On 03/28/11 10:46, Veli-Matti Lintu wrote:
> > There are probably quite a few people here who are interested in
> > interactive whiteboards and their linux compatibility. Finding
> > up-to-date information on the different models and how to get them
> > working with Ubuntu has been quite a challenge, so we decided to
> > spend some time and do research on the different models available
> > on the market.

> Great! When you have some docs that you feel are ready let us know
> and
> we can to it from the Edubuntu website as well. I think that will be
> useful to many people.

Hi everyone,

We have been testing the whiteboards now for a couple of weeks and it looks like most of the models can be made to work. Right now we have only problems with Cleverboard models. We have now Mimio, Promethean and Smartboard models running on normal Ubuntu 10.04 installation and on LTSP fat clients. Some of the installation packages require fixes to work correctly and we have given feedback to the vendors. We are waiting for some fixes before we finish the testing as some of the problems affect LTSP usage.

There are also updates in our blog:

http://www.opinsys.fi/en/interactive-whiteboards-in-linux-test-lab-do-they-really-work

Happy hacking!

Veli-Matti

Old 05-06-2011, 01:47 PM
Veli-Matti Lintu

> We have been testing the whiteboards now for a couple of weeks and it
> looks like most of the models can be made to work. Right now we have
> only problems with Cleverboard models. We have now Mimio, Promethean
> and Smartboard models running on normal Ubuntu 10.04 installation
> and on LTSP fat clients. Some of the installation packages require
> fixes to work correctly and we have given feedback to the vendors.
> We are waiting for some fixes before we finish the testing as some
> of the problems affect LTSP usage.

We are finally getting testing finished and here are the results for Smartboard, Promethean and Mimio. Cleverboard articles need still some work before we can publish them:

http://www.opinsys.fi/en/interactive-whiteboards-on-linux-test-results
http://www.opinsys.fi/en/smartboard-on-linux-test-results
http://www.opinsys.fi/en/promethean-on-linux-test-results
http://www.opinsys.fi/en/mimio-on-linux-test-results

The articles have way too many details to summarise everything here. Technically Smartboard, Promethean and Mimio all worked, but depending on the use case some are better than others. We really cannot say that one would be always better than the others. Linux support is getting better, but all the packages still have problems. Smartboard packages are the best for LTSP usage, but others can be made to work with LTSP also. Details on how to fix the packages for LTSP usage are still under work as we wait for possible fixes from the manufacturers.

We still have the test hardware in our lab if something specific should be tested. Don't be shy if you want to know more. All testing was done on Ubuntu 10.04.

Happy hacking!

Veli-Matti

Old 05-06-2011, 02:38 PM
Veli-Matti Lintu

Are you using them with thin clients or fat clients? Thin clients is something that we didn't even try as they all want to use local usb interfaces.

Veli-Matti

Old 05-06-2011, 04:30 PM
David Groos

I used it with a fat client.* Here's what I wrote on my blog about the experience:

I tried to install SmartBoard software--SMART Notebook Software with
Drivers 10.package--into my ltsp chroot. This problem was compounded by
the software that installs this type of package, the .package format,
is called "AutoPackage" or some such. Unfortunately it doesn't work on
64 bit systems without certain libraries (which I didn't install) and my
server is 64 bit. However, its successor, "Listaller" does work on 64
bit systems.

First I installed Listaller in the regular
root, then I installed it into the chroot and entered the chroot with
sudo chroot /opt/lits/i386 then started the listallmgr-gtk program but
then wasn't able to make Listaller run the .package file.
*

So finally I
went to Veli-Menti solution which was to install it on a regular i386
system then use his cool script to convert it into a .deb file which is
easy to install into a chroot.

This page explains how to do that: http://www.opinsys.fi/en/smartboard-software-on-ltsp-fat-clients.
I did it in a Virtual box and the install went great but there was an
issue upon running the script. Hoping that Matti will get back to me
about that...
I think I left a comment on that page with details?* It appears that I didn't record further details on my blog...

Thanks,
David

Old 05-09-2011, 08:59 PM
Veli-Matti Lintu

pe, 2011-05-06 kello 11:30 -0500, David Groos kirjoitti:
> I used it with a fat client. Here's what I wrote on my blog about the
> experience:
> I tried to install SmartBoard software--SMART Notebook
> Software with Drivers 10.package--into my ltsp chroot. This
> problem was compounded by the software that installs this type
> of package, the .package format, is called "AutoPackage" or
> some such. Unfortunately it doesn't work on 64 bit systems
> without certain libraries (which I didn't install) and my
> server is 64 bit. However, its successor, "Listaller" does
> work on 64 bit systems.

Hi,

Have you tried it yet with the new .deb packages provided by SMART
Technologies?

http://www.smarttech.com/us/Support/Browse+Support/Download
+Software/Software/SMART+Notebook+collaborative+learning+software/SMART
+Notebook+software/SMART+Notebook+for+Linux

Veli-Matti

Old 05-09-2011, 09:35 PM
David Groos

Glad to hear they've got a .deb package.* I'll be able to install it in the 32 bit chroot even though the server is running on arch 64?* I'm looking forward to testing it and fat clients as well. but end of the school year teacher burn out is encroaching... I might have to wait 4 more weeks till student year is over to start this testing/documenting.* Thanks for your leadership on this Veli-Matti.

David