Old 03-22-2011, 04:45 PM
Lee Harr

Default configure some clients to boot from fat image

Hi;

I have a lab of computers running plain LTSP with thin clients.

Some of the clients are more powerful "LTSP Term 1620"s which
I thought I would try out as fat clients.

They work pretty well as thins. Would you expect them to work
any better as fat clients?

I built the fat client image with these instructions:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuLTSP/FatClients

But I'm not sure how to have just those more powerful systems
boot from the new image. (I don't want to move the fat image
to /opt/ltsp, I want to leave it at /opt/ltsp-fat)

So, am I modifying /etc/ltsp/dhcpd.conf ?
Or is it something in /var/lib/tftpboot/ltsp/i386/pxelinux.cfg/ ?

Any hints appreciated.

Old 03-22-2011, 07:23 PM
"Todd O'Bryan"

Modify /etc/ltsp/dhcpd.conf so that, based on the MAC addresses of the
clients, they load the image at /opt/ltsp-fat rather than the one at
/opt/ltsp.

If you need more info, I can look at my settings file at school, but
they've blocked my home email, so send me a reminder at Todd dot
OBryan at jefferson dot kyschools dot us and I can tell you exactly
what to put in there.

Todd

Old 03-24-2011, 01:22 PM
"Jonathan Carter (highvoltage)"

Hi Lee

I have a lab of computers running plain LTSP with thin clients.

Some of the clients are more powerful "LTSP Term 1620"s which
I thought I would try out as fat clients.

They work pretty well as thins. Would you expect them to work
any better as fat clients?

I built the fat client image with these instructions:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuLTSP/FatClients

But I'm not sure how to have just those more powerful systems
boot from the new image. (I don't want to move the fat image
to /opt/ltsp, I want to leave it at /opt/ltsp-fat)

So, am I modifying /etc/ltsp/dhcpd.conf ?
Or is it something in /var/lib/tftpboot/ltsp/i386/pxelinux.cfg/ ?

Any hints appreciated.

If the stronger machines have more RAM, you could use FAT_RAM_THRESHOLD
to specify which clients should run as fat and which thin. So in your
lts.conf you could have something like:

"""
[default]

FAT_RAM_THRESHOLD=512

[00:A1:08:11:F2:C8]

LTSP_FATCLIENT=false
"""

In the above example, machiens above 512MB or RAM will start a fat
client session. A machine with more than 512MB of RAM can be set to use
a thin client session by using the LTSP_FATCLIENT directive.

HTH

-Jonathan

Old 03-25-2011, 12:26 PM
Lee Harr

(sorry jonathan. meant to send this to the list)

> > I'm not sure how to have just those more powerful systems

> > boot from the new image. (I don't want to move the fat image

> > to /opt/ltsp, I want to leave it at /opt/ltsp-fat)

> If the stronger machines have more RAM, you could use FAT_RAM_THRESHOLD

> to specify which clients should run as fat and which thin. So in your

> lts.conf you could have something like:

> """

> [default]

> FAT_RAM_THRESHOLD=512

> [00:A1:08:11:F2:C8]

> LTSP_FATCLIENT=false

> """

So, using this method, is a separate fat client image needed,

or do the fat and thin clients both use the same image?

It seems to me that making changes in lts.conf would be

too late to have the computer boo from a different image.

Old 03-25-2011, 12:30 PM