-   -   Bolt on LCD Monitor LTSP Terminal (http://www.linux-archive.org/edubuntu-user/50231-bolt-lcd-monitor-ltsp-terminal.html)

"Casey Mynott" 02-07-2008 04:46 PM

Bolt on LCD Monitor LTSP Terminal

Hello all,

I am doing up a proposal for my school district in regards to getting funds to setup some terminals in my classroom. What I am looking for is a terminal that bolts to the back of a 19" LCD monitor that can run LTSP. I want to show case how awesome the technology is but at the same time making the setup look as clean and cutting edge as possible. I have seen these "bolt on" terminals but have found very few with any positive experiences. So, the question, have you had any experiences (good or bad) with these types of LTSP terminals. If you have had any experience I would love to hear about it. Thanks for your time.

Casey Mynott
cmynott@deltasd.bc.ca
Technology Education
Delta Secondary School, BC, Canada
Phone: 604-946-4194
Fax: 604-946-5162

Uwe Geercken 02-08-2008 11:24 AM

Bolt on LCD Monitor LTSP Terminal

casey,

I have built my own very small thin client with a via chipset. it has
no ventilator and no disk and no dvd (although you could put them in).
so it is very compact and absolutely silent. I have tested with
putting in a Samsung laptop 20GB disk which is very silent so that you
really don't hear anything.

it would be easy (and low cost) to fix it to the back of the screen
if there is room enough. I will send you the exact measurements and
some fotos if you are interested.

I might well try and do it myself - I have it now standing next to a 17" LCD.

rgds,

uwe

Asmo Koskinen 02-08-2008 11:35 AM

Uwe Geercken kirjoitti:
> it would be easy (and low cost) to fix it to the back of the screen
> if there is room enough.

HP t-series got that feature. But we use them on the desktop, not behind
screen.

http://www.arkki.info/howto/Wiki/LTSP-Valokuvat/LTSP_Mantykangas_08.png
http://www.arkki.info/howto/Wiki/LTSP-Valokuvat/LTSP_Mantykangas_09.png
http://www.arkki.info/howto/Wiki/LTSP-Valokuvat/LTSP_Mantykangas_10.png

We have 113 HP t5125/5135 all over the school. One thin client per two
pupils, every classroom have about 12,5 thin clients ;-).

Best Regards Asmo Koskinen.

"Jim Kronebusch" 02-08-2008 01:26 PM

Bolt on LCD Monitor LTSP Terminal

On Thu, 07 Feb 2008 09:46:56 -0800, Casey Mynott wrote
> Hello all,
>
> I am doing up a proposal for my school district in regards to getting
> funds to setup some terminals in my classroom. What I am looking for is a
> terminal that bolts to the back of a 19" LCD monitor that can run LTSP. I
> want to show case how awesome the technology is but at the same time
> making the setup look as clean and cutting edge as possible. I have seen
> these "bolt on" terminals but have found very few with any positive
> experiences. So, the question, have you had any experiences (good or bad)
> with these types of LTSP terminals. If you have had any experience I would
> love to hear about it. Thanks for your time.

Well, I was looking at going this way as well. Then I had the revelation of how easy
will it be for students to connect usb devices with the tiny form factor bolted to the
back of the screen...not very. I thought about getting higher end monitors with usb
ports on the side, but that isn't very cost effective. I thought of putting a small usb
extension on every workstation allowing students to easily plug into the extension, but
I could see those disappearing or looking a little sloppy. Then I looked at the specs
of most of the bolt on units, and they weren't as good as the larger units that sit next
to the machine. So I scrapped the bolt on idea as the only benefit it would give me is
a little sleeker look with the cost of difficult usb access and slower specs.

Anyhow, just something to think about. The labs look very nice as well with small
footprint terminals next to the monitors.

Jim