Old 02-08-2008, 01:38 AM
"David Trask"

Default New SmartBoard and Edubuntu...I'm truly impressed!

Recently I was able to purchase an interactive whiteboard called a
?SmartBoard? for our school. I have several more in the budget for next
year, but this one gives us an opportunity to learn more about how to use
one. I was excited to find out when I ordered it that it would be
compatible with Linux, but I had my doubts. Often times manufacturers
make claims to be compatible with Linux, but generally with a loss of
features or a very difficult installation. I was a little nervous when I
stuck in the CD to the drive on my Edubuntu desktop?.and I couldn?t get
the installer to execute. So?I went to the web site and downloaded the
installer from there. The installer was a breeze to work with! It?s an
autopackage that simply asked me a couple yes or no questions?and then
VOILA! That was it! Suddenly the SmartBoard software launched and we
were in business! The total install time took less than 2 minutes! Guess
what else? Everything works! Every feature from the notebook software to
the screen captures and more! I?m truly impressed! The folks at
Smarttech have really taken a look at the future of Linux and FOSS in
Education. Today was simply my first day?all I got a chance to do was put
it together, load the software and play around a little. I?m finding
myself a bit excited to get to school tomorrow so I can really try things
out. Just in the few chances I got to try it out today, I can really see
how it will totally change the way I teach! I?m psyched!

David N. Trask
Technology Teacher/Director
Vassalboro Community School
dtrask@vcsvikings.org