FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Edubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 03-04-2011, 05:16 PM
"Todd O'Bryan"
 
Default CUPS won't start on fat client

I can't get CUPS to start on a fat client. This is more complicated,
because I can't sudo to check anything, because once the user logs in
on the fat client, it doesn't use the server's user database anymore.

So, two questions:

1. Does anyone know if CUPS not starting on an AMD64 LTSP fat client
running 10.04 is a known problem with a known solution. (This is
regular Ubuntu LTSP, not Edubuntu, but the LTSP part makes this list a
lot more useful, I think.)

2. How do I get sudo access on the client?

Thanks muchly,
Todd

--
edubuntu-users mailing list
edubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/edubuntu-users
 
Old 03-04-2011, 10:48 PM
David Groos
 
Default CUPS won't start on fat client

Hey Todd, not sure if this will help, but if you go to the /var/lib/tftpboot/ltsp/your.fat.image/lts.conf file and type:SCREEN_02=shellSCREEN_07=ldm(without the bullets, and maybe with a restart of your client). *Then, when you reboot and are sitting at a client you hit F2 and you will be brought into maybe it's called, "console" but I think of it as "terminal" but on the local client, not on the server. *Of course you can do any change on the client, remove this and that or whatever, and upon reboot you get a fresh system without your modifications. *Anyway, hope this works on fat clients, not just thin clients--I'm still trying to figure out fat clients. *Anyone?
David
On Mar 4, 2011, at 12:16 PM, Todd O'Bryan wrote:I can't get CUPS to start on a fat client. This is more complicated,
because I can't sudo to check anything, because once the user logs in
on the fat client, it doesn't use the server's user database anymore.

So, two questions:

1. Does anyone know if CUPS not starting on an AMD64 LTSP fat client
running 10.04 is a known problem with a known solution. (This is
regular Ubuntu LTSP, not Edubuntu, but the LTSP part makes this list a
lot more useful, I think.)

2. How do I get sudo access on the client?

Thanks muchly,
Todd

--
edubuntu-users mailing list
edubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/edubuntu-users

--
edubuntu-users mailing list
edubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/edubuntu-users
 
Old 03-10-2011, 10:46 PM
"Todd O'Bryan"
 
Default CUPS won't start on fat client

I was able to get root access by doing

$ sudo chroot /opt/ltsp/amd64 passwd -u root
$ sudo chroot /opt/ltsp/amd64 passwd

and setting the password. As I guessed, cups isn't starting. In fact,
when I look in the rc.d directories, all mentions of cups are K50cups
files, meaning that cups is getting killed, rather than started.

Once I start cups manually, using the root account on the client, then
login in as a normal user, everything works fine. There's something
funky about trying to install cups in a chroot. Because the
installation script tries to run the cups server as part of
installing, and fails because it's in a chroot, the cups daemon
doesn't get set up to start on boot.

Any ideas?
Todd

On Fri, Mar 4, 2011 at 6:48 PM, David Groos <djgroos@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey Todd, not sure if this will help, but if you go to the
> /var/lib/tftpboot/ltsp/your.fat.image/lts.conf file and type:
>
> SCREEN_02=shell
>
> SCREEN_07=ldm
>
> (without the bullets, and maybe with a restart of your client). *Then, when
> you reboot and are sitting at a client you hit F2 and you will be brought
> into maybe it's called, "console" but I think of it as "terminal" but on the
> local client, not on the server. *Of course you can do any change on the
> client, remove this and that or whatever, and upon reboot you get a fresh
> system without your modifications. *Anyway, hope this works on fat clients,
> not just thin clients--I'm still trying to figure out fat clients. *Anyone?
> David
> On Mar 4, 2011, at 12:16 PM, Todd O'Bryan wrote:
>
> I can't get CUPS to start on a fat client. This is more complicated,
> because I can't sudo to check anything, because once the user logs in
> on the fat client, it doesn't use the server's user database anymore.
>
> So, two questions:
>
> 1. Does anyone know if CUPS not starting on an AMD64 LTSP fat client
> running 10.04 is a known problem with a known solution. (This is
> regular Ubuntu LTSP, not Edubuntu, but the LTSP part makes this list a
> lot more useful, I think.)
>
> 2. How do I get sudo access on the client?
>
> Thanks muchly,
> Todd
>
> --
> edubuntu-users mailing list
> edubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
> Modify settings or unsubscribe at:
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/edubuntu-users
>
>

--
edubuntu-users mailing list
edubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/edubuntu-users
 
Old 03-17-2011, 01:59 AM
"Todd O'Bryan"
 
Default CUPS won't start on fat client

Well, I figured it out. Even though it's a fat client, it seems the
way to make it work was to follow this how-to:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuLTSP/LocalAppsLucidPrinting

The fat client is connecting as a client to the server and printing
from there, rather than printing on its own, but at least it can
print.

Todd

On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 6:46 PM, Todd O'Bryan <toddobryan@gmail.com> wrote:
> I was able to get root access by doing
>
> $ sudo chroot /opt/ltsp/amd64 passwd -u root
> $ sudo chroot /opt/ltsp/amd64 passwd
>
> and setting the password. As I guessed, cups isn't starting. In fact,
> when I look in the rc.d directories, all mentions of cups are K50cups
> files, meaning that cups is getting killed, rather than started.
>
> Once I start cups manually, using the root account on the client, then
> login in as a normal user, everything works fine. There's something
> funky about trying to install cups in a chroot. Because the
> installation script tries to run the cups server as part of
> installing, and fails because it's in a chroot, the cups daemon
> doesn't get set up to start on boot.
>
> Any ideas?
> Todd
>
> On Fri, Mar 4, 2011 at 6:48 PM, David Groos <djgroos@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hey Todd, not sure if this will help, but if you go to the
>> /var/lib/tftpboot/ltsp/your.fat.image/lts.conf file and type:
>>
>> SCREEN_02=shell
>>
>> SCREEN_07=ldm
>>
>> (without the bullets, and maybe with a restart of your client). *Then, when
>> you reboot and are sitting at a client you hit F2 and you will be brought
>> into maybe it's called, "console" but I think of it as "terminal" but on the
>> local client, not on the server. *Of course you can do any change on the
>> client, remove this and that or whatever, and upon reboot you get a fresh
>> system without your modifications. *Anyway, hope this works on fat clients,
>> not just thin clients--I'm still trying to figure out fat clients. *Anyone?
>> David
>> On Mar 4, 2011, at 12:16 PM, Todd O'Bryan wrote:
>>
>> I can't get CUPS to start on a fat client. This is more complicated,
>> because I can't sudo to check anything, because once the user logs in
>> on the fat client, it doesn't use the server's user database anymore.
>>
>> So, two questions:
>>
>> 1. Does anyone know if CUPS not starting on an AMD64 LTSP fat client
>> running 10.04 is a known problem with a known solution. (This is
>> regular Ubuntu LTSP, not Edubuntu, but the LTSP part makes this list a
>> lot more useful, I think.)
>>
>> 2. How do I get sudo access on the client?
>>
>> Thanks muchly,
>> Todd
>>
>> --
>> edubuntu-users mailing list
>> edubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
>> Modify settings or unsubscribe at:
>> https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/edubuntu-users
>>
>>
>

--
edubuntu-users mailing list
edubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/edubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 10:23 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org