Old 02-07-2008, 04:37 PM
"Greg Reagle"

Default please help: Logins from thin clients not registering

Hello. I administer an Edubuntu lab, and I want to be able to keep
track of how much time the system is actually being used by students.
The 'sac' command seems to be appropriate except that it doesn't work in
Edubuntu with the thin clients.

I have Edubuntu 6.06.2, fully updated. There is one Edubuntu server,
generally not used directly, and several thin clients.

When someone logs in from the thin clients, (s)he does not show up in
commands who and last (and sac), but logging in directly to the Edubuntu
server does register with who and last (and sac).

Any ideas? Thank you.

--
greg reagle | computer technician, system administrator | community it
innovators - CITI | 202-234-1600 ext. 353

Old 02-07-2008, 05:37 PM
"Jim Kronebusch"

On Thu, 7 Feb 2008 12:37:43 -0500, Greg Reagle wrote
> Hello. I administer an Edubuntu lab, and I want to be able to keep
> track of how much time the system is actually being used by students.
> The 'sac' command seems to be appropriate except that it doesn't work in
> Edubuntu with the thin clients.
>
> I have Edubuntu 6.06.2, fully updated. There is one Edubuntu server,
> generally not used directly, and several thin clients.
>
> When someone logs in from the thin clients, (s)he does not show up in
> commands who and last (and sac), but logging in directly to the Edubuntu
> server does register with who and last (and sac).
>
> Any ideas? Thank you.

I do not have any ideas on how to make that work. However, I am wondering if there
could be a script set to run on login and logout that would report to a central
location. The script could record the action as being either login or logout, the
username, and the date/time. This central record or file could then be parsed by any
number of applications or scripts to report your information. I don't exactly know how
to do this, but I would think it to be very trivial for a script junky.

Hope that helps,
Jim

Old 02-07-2008, 05:40 PM
Asmo Koskinen

Greg Reagle kirjoitti:
> Any ideas? Thank you.

I use Cacti, access with N800 (test environment (from home to arkki.info):

http://www.arkki.info/howto/Wiki/LTSP-Ruutukaappaukset/ltsp-koti-export-arkki-N800.png

Few minutes ago from my office server to arkki.info:

http://www.arkki.info/howto/Cacti_Office.png

I do not care who is in, maybe how many. But all my servers are so heavy
(Duo Core Xeon, lots of memory), so it really do not matters how many
are in.

Cacti is very easy to install - https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Cacti

Best Regards Asmo Koskinen.