Old 02-24-2011, 04:50 PM
Christian Møller

Default Trouble with localapps firefox+flash on 10.10

Hi,
I have a problem getting firefox+flash and chromium+flash to work as localapps on a fresh Ubuntu 10.10 LTSP install.*
The server is installed from the 10.10 amd64 alternative CD. The client chroot is i386 made with "sudo ltsp-build-client --arch=i386". After generating the client root I installed firefox and flash-plugin-installer in the chroot and changed my lts.conf to enable localapps.

When I start Firefox on the client and load a flash-site (a YouTube video), the flash-plugin starts up fine and show up in the process-list on the thin client, but only a black box is displayed in the browser. Right-clicking the black box gets a context-menu showing "Movie not loaded..." and "About Adobe Flash Player 10.2.152.27".

I then installed a stock 10.04 LTS amd64 server, made a new client chroot just as before, copied the same lts.conf and here it works - flash plays with no problem.
I then dist-upgraded the 10.04 LTS server to 10.10. Booting the client on the 10.04-chroot against a 10.10 server still works - flash plays with no problem.*I then created a new client chroot from my upgraded server. Now flash doesn't work (well, it of course still works if the client boots the 10.04-chroot, but not when the client boots the 10.10 chroot.

I've compared file locations of libflashplayer.so in the old and the new client chroot - they're the same. I've run diff on the libflashplayer.so - they're identical. I've compared "ps axf"-output on the client while running firefox and the flash plugin - they're called and executed with the exact same parameters.*

I've tested with 3 different physical client computers all with different graphics adapters - to rule out a problem related to the graphics drivers. No result.
As a final attempt to make it work, I installed Ubuntu 10.10 i386 on the server and made a client chroot - to have the server and the client run on the same architecture. No result.

What have I missed?

Best regards,
Christian Moeller.

Old 02-24-2011, 05:09 PM
"Marc Gariépy"

Hello Christian,

If you start an xterm and then start firefox from the shell do you
have some output of what's happening?

Marc