FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Edubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 02-17-2011, 04:57 PM
Jim Christiansen
 
Default Fat clients boot but no internet on clinets...

I have a student who has done an ltsp install on top of Ubuntu 10.04 server. *He has built the fat client image and the clients boot, test users can log on and even play openarena. *
The only trouble we have so far is that the browser can not connect to internet... *The server can talk to the outside world- not the clients.

Any ideas??
Thanks everyone.
--
edubuntu-users mailing list
edubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/edubuntu-users
 
Old 02-17-2011, 05:07 PM
"Jonathan Carter (highvoltage)"
 
Default Fat clients boot but no internet on clinets...

On 17/02/11 12:57 PM, Jim Christiansen wrote:
> I have a student who has done an ltsp install on top of Ubuntu 10.04
> server. He has built the fat client image and the clients boot, test
> users can log on and even play openarena.
>
> The only trouble we have so far is that the browser can not connect to
> internet... The server can talk to the outside world- not the clients.

Since the fat clients are essentially full machines, you'll either have
to set their nameservers/router in the dhcpd.conf file (if the machine
can route to it) or if it can't, use your terminal server as a router.

This guide explains the latter:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuLTSP/ThinClientHowtoNAT

HTH

-Jonathan

--
edubuntu-users mailing list
edubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/edubuntu-users
 
Old 02-21-2011, 06:38 PM
Jim Christiansen
 
Default Fat clients boot but no internet on clinets...

Thank you Johnathon. *My students used your how to that I had come upon to do the ltsp install on 10.04. *It was your how to that told my students to apt-get openarena. *The how to looked good when I skimmed it so I just had them go through it on a new server they built. *Boy, did they have grins on their faces when I asked why openarena is installing!


We did the iptables route rather than trying to manage it through dhcp.conf.
Internet seems to be working on the clients- we only have three clients now but will try to get 30 running this week.


I thought the nat ip_forward=1 was for systems with two nics.?? *The ltsp server has only one nic and is inside the firewall at school, but clients seem to*function*well.
Jim





On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 11:07 AM, Jonathan Carter (highvoltage) <jonathan@ubuntu.com> wrote:


On 17/02/11 12:57 PM, Jim Christiansen wrote:

> I have a student who has done an ltsp install on top of Ubuntu 10.04

> server. *He has built the fat client image and the clients boot, test

> users can log on and even play openarena.

>

> The only trouble we have so far is that the browser can not connect to

> internet... *The server can talk to the outside world- not the clients.



Since the fat clients are essentially full machines, you'll either have

to set their nameservers/router in the dhcpd.conf file (if the machine

can route to it) or if it can't, use your terminal server as a router.



This guide explains the latter:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuLTSP/ThinClientHowtoNAT



HTH



-Jonathan



--
edubuntu-users mailing list
edubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/edubuntu-users
 
Old 02-21-2011, 08:08 PM
"Jonathan Carter (highvoltage)"
 
Default Fat clients boot but no internet on clinets...

Hi Jim

On 21/02/11 02:38 PM, Jim Christiansen wrote:
> Thank you Johnathon. My students used your how to that I had come upon
> to do the ltsp install on 10.04. It was your how to that told my
> students to apt-get openarena. The how to looked good when I skimmed it
> so I just had them go through it on a new server they built. Boy, did
> they have grins on their faces when I asked why openarena is installing!

Glad it worked! I recommend this one too:
http://jonathancarter.org/how-to-spell-jonathan/

> I thought the nat ip_forward=1 was for systems with two nics.?? The
> ltsp server has only one nic and is inside the firewall at school, but
> clients seem to function well.

Indeed, it depends whether you want to use the server as a router and
how it gets its outside connection. I guess your students used the
school's router for the fat client machines. Good to hear that they're
learning and having fun!

-Jonathan

--
edubuntu-users mailing list
edubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/edubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 09:48 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org