Old 02-06-2008, 03:40 PM

Default webmin batch user add script

I am using the latest version of webmin on Edubuntu 7.1 and having
something strange happen to the user passwords. I have a text file with
the appropriate field layout for 550 students. In the fields I have
username, password, GID, home directory and shell. The script runs fine
and the users are added. When I try and login with the
username/password it rejects the password. When I get on the server and
go to user manager and retype in the password the login works. Has
anyone experienced this? I know that the field layout is correct since
all of the other fields are OK, ie. home directory.

Thanks,

Ron McDaniel
Technology Coordinator
Conecuh County Schools
rmcdaniel@indata.us

Old 02-06-2008, 04:12 PM
"Denis Melnikov"

Maybe this bug:
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1841044&group_id=17457&a tid=117457

Denis

Old 02-06-2008, 08:30 PM
"Jim Kronebusch"

On Wed, 06 Feb 2008 09:40:12 -0700, rmcdaniel wrote
> I am using the latest version of webmin on Edubuntu 7.1 and having
> something strange happen to the user passwords. I have a text file with
> the appropriate field layout for 550 students. In the fields I have
> username, password, GID, home directory and shell. The script runs fine
> and the users are added. When I try and login with the
> username/password it rejects the password. When I get on the server and
> go to user manager and retype in the password the login works. Has
> anyone experienced this? I know that the field layout is correct since
> all of the other fields are OK, ie. home directory.

Only thing I can think of off the top of my head is maybe the radio button for
"Passwords are already encrypted?" is set to yes when you do the import? Other than
that I don't have any ideas. I can assure that the batch import is working perfectly
for my Edubuntu 7.04 setup. If that isn't it maybe include your exact layout for a
sample user including all the colons. Maybe there is something silly there you aren't
catching.

I think I had a similar problem in the past relating to what my encryption was set to in
the module config, but I don't remember exactly what that was.

Worse case as long as all the users are present you could do a batch modify and try to
set the passwords.

Jim