-   -   Profile management (Edubuntu 10.10) (http://www.linux-archive.org/edubuntu-user/485008-profile-management-edubuntu-10-10-a.html)

Gilles Dubois 02-04-2011 07:54 AM

Profile management (Edubuntu 10.10)

Hi everybody !

I would like to submit you a first problem.

First I'm French but I know that sometimes linux doesn't like accentuated letters, and I avoid using them systematically, not to have problems with US scripts confused by these very decorative characters.

But since I'm working for French speaking people I continue to use as much as possible my own language for interfaces.

My problem is to define 'profiles' (mainly for the menu) and to associate these profiles to groups so that anybody who connects from a certain group will have the menu associated with this group.

I first tried to use Sabayon, but first interface wasn't clear and second it didn't work at all. Now Sabayon is completely out of duty and refuses to work at all.

So I decided to use the combination* MenuEditor + ProfileManager.

I followed the tutorial and had to discover by myself a lot of inconveniences and special things not documented.

Although you log in as superuser, you cannot save anywhere on the disk.

In fact saving of a custom menu is possible only in your home directory.

Now ProfileManager's lookup will never find anything except what is in /etc/edubuntu-menueditor/.

And in fact it should be in some subdirectory of this directory (not documented).

MenuEditor save a menu as a compressed file.

Fact that you HAVE TO add correct extension .tar.gz or not isn't completely clear.

In any case it seems to work in both cases.

Fact that you have to unpack this archive first isn't documented too.

In any case with or without specific extensions, unpacked or not unpacked, it seems that ProfileManager is satisfied with ANYTHING which is in any subdirectory of /etc/edubuntu-menueditor and creates a listing file accordingly.

Now the fact that ProfileManager seems to be satisfied doesn't prove that it will do the job.

And in fact it doesn't.

Once the association created, always the FULL menu appears to any user connected belonging to the group or not.

And this behavior isn't changed if you reload the server and reload the client.

I'm testing this for several hours now without any success.

I posted something similar to a French Forum but without any answer.

So I would be thankful if somebody here can help me a little.

Thanks.

Gilles

Giacomo Trovato 02-04-2011 08:20 AM

Profile management (Edubuntu 10.10)

Hi Gilles,

I have your same needs and ....the same problems (with Edubuntu 10.10).
I need to use Sabayon but it works in very unpredictable manner:
sometimes works and sometimes there is no manner to add a profile to a
group/user.
At the end it's not reliable and I'm very frustrated since I have a
school computer room with LTSP (10 thin-clients) with 200 user.

I hope that someone help us!

Giacomo, from Italy.

"Marc Gariépy" 02-04-2011 01:01 PM

Profile management (Edubuntu 10.10)

Hello Gilles,

Here's a video tutorial about the applications.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocvNudhttPU

The documentation on how to use it is here:
https://wiki.edubuntu.org/Edubuntu/Documentation/Edubuntu-menueditor
If some parts of the documentation is not clear enough, please contact
me and it will be my pleasure to improve it.

I would gladly help you on IRC #edubuntu channel on freenode if you need
live help.

Also you you have any suggestion to make concerning edubuntu-menueditor
Can you please open a bug in launchpad or simply ask the question via
launchpad. The purpose of this application is to render as easy as
possible menus management for administrator.

Thanks

Marc Gariépy

Gilles Dubois 02-05-2011 04:18 AM

Profile management (Edubuntu 10.10)

Although I'm not alone with this embarrassing problem, I have no answer.

So I continued to make experiments.

I incidentally discovered new things.

It's not a good idea to do what I did (I mean to copy the generated menu file to /etc/edubuntu-menueditor/. as superuser).

The 'import' function that can be activated by the right button does it IF you browse your own directory with the 'all documents' option. Otherwise the option 'archive' is activated by default, maybe except if you have added manually the archive extension to your file name.

So the import function generates some files in /etc/edubuntu-menueditor/ and apparently does a little more, because expanding yourself the archive has no effect (apparently).

After this you can use the profile manager.

BUT some problems remain, for example :

It's impossible to hide the 'Games' menu although the xml file generated by menueditor tags it as 'exluded '.

This note is valid for a few other items.

It would be good to know why ...

"Marc Gariépy" 02-05-2011 02:37 PM

Profile management (Edubuntu 10.10)

Hello,

For the game menu, the bug is described here:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/gnome-menus/+bug/413728

It's related to the way the menu is being build on debian/ubuntu.

Marc