Old 01-13-2011, 03:00 AM
David Groos

Default Using smartboard software as a localapp

I've been trying to install the linux smartboard software.* I'm running P4 clients off an LTSP server, with a couple of apps as localapps.* I can't install the smartboard server very well on the server since it doesn't work on 64 bit machine.* So I tried to install it as a localapp (with 32 bit arch) but got no where.* I tried to install it with "sudo chroot /opt/ltsp/i386 apt-get install absolute-path-of-installer-file-on-my-desktop".* It said something like "package not found".* The installer file ends with .package, not sure if that helps.* I saw in a previous list post by David Trask that he was running this software as a localapp so I trust it can be done!* But how?!

Thanks,
David G

Old 01-13-2011, 03:00 AM
David Groos

Old 01-13-2011, 11:21 AM
Simón Ruiz

Hello!

<IfItWereADebianPackage>
First of all, "sudo apt-get install package" goes out to the
repositories and finds the package, downloads and installs it.

The way to install a local Debian package (e.g.: you already have the
.deb package downloaded to your Desktop) is using "sudo dpkg -i
/path/to/package-file.deb"
</IfItWereADebianPackage>

HOWEVER, the SMART software is *not* distributed as a Debian package,
the .package files they provide were intended to be opened using
Autopackage, http://autopackage.org/, though if you go to that URL,
you'll see the project has gone through some significant changes since
the last time I installed SMART software...

Looks like you'll need to install Listaller; follow the link on the
above URL to the Listaller page, then click on the "Download" link.
They've got a Lucid package you can download and install.

That looks like the first step in getting the SMART software installed, now.

Simón

Old 01-14-2011, 02:19 AM
David Groos

Thanks for the reply, Simón.* Comments in line.

*

The way to install a local Debian package (e.g.: you already have the

.deb package downloaded to your Desktop) is using "sudo dpkg -i

/path/to/package-file.deb"
*Thanks for explaining, I can remember that.
*

</IfItWereADebianPackage>

HOWEVER, the SMART software is *not* distributed as a Debian package,

the .package files they provide were intended to be opened using

Autopackage, http://autopackage.org/, though if you go to that URL,

you'll see the project has gone through some significant changes since

the last time I installed SMART software...

Looks like you'll need to install Listaller; follow the link on the

above URL to the Listaller page, then click on the "Download" link.

They've got a Lucid package you can download and install.

I didn't get to the right page at first and tried to install/compile but got lost in a maze of dependencies--But I finally got to this page: http://listaller.nlinux.org/oldpage/getlistaller.html and installed the repository then used Synaptic to install it, simple.

That looks like the first step in getting the SMART software installed, now.

OK, now to step 2...

I can't install it by just double clicking the package because it will try to install it into the 64 bit server and I need to install it into the 32 bit chroot.

I couldn't figure out a command to install using Listaller into the chroot.* Any ideas anyone?

Thanks,
David

Old 01-14-2011, 02:37 PM
Veli-Matti Lintu

ke, 2011-01-12 kello 22:00 -0600, David Groos kirjoitti:
> I've been trying to install the linux smartboard software. I'm
> running P4 clients off an LTSP server, with a couple of apps as
> localapps. I can't install the smartboard server very well on the
> server since it doesn't work on 64 bit machine. So I tried to install
> it as a localapp (with 32 bit arch) but got no where. I tried to
> install it with "sudo chroot /opt/ltsp/i386 apt-get install
> absolute-path-of-installer-file-on-my-desktop". It said something
> like "package not found". The installer file ends with .package, not
> sure if that helps. I saw in a previous list post by David Trask that
> he was running this software as a localapp so I trust it can be done!
> But how?!

Hi,

I managed to get the smart software installed in fatclient chroot by
first installing it on a normal 32-bit workstation and then creating
a .deb package from the files it installed. The .deb package can then be
installed in the chroot with dpkg. Running it as a localapp should not
differ from fatclient installation, although I haven't tried that. I
documented the steps here:

http://www.opinsys.fi/en/smartboard-software-on-ltsp-fat-clients

I hope it still works the same way.

Veli-Matti

Old 01-14-2011, 02:37 PM
Veli-Matti Lintu

Old 01-15-2011, 09:06 PM
David Groos

Thanks Simon and Veli-Matti.* I've moved from easier method to more involved and am currently at my last home.* Seems the biggest problem was the 64/32 bit issues of the server/chroot... Anyway...

I'm working on your's, Veli-Matti and things were going great!* The script stopped working with this message: any ideas:

cp: cannot stat `/usr/share/mimelnk/application/*smarttech*': No such file or directory

David

Old 01-15-2011, 09:06 PM
David Groos