Old 01-10-2011, 07:14 PM
"Dr. Daniel Loomis"

Default client kernel needs cx8 and cmov

I have a k12linux-based computer lab in our church library that I wish to
upgrade to Edubuntu 10.10.* However, when I tried the LiveDVD on our server
several of our clients could not boot because the kernel requires the 'cmov'
instruction.* One also listed the 'cx8' instruction as unsupported.*
It seems the client kernels were compiled for i686 clients, which eliminates
half of the i586 and AMD clients in my lab.* Considering that Edubuntu was
developed to allow us poor folk to use old pcs for thin clients, the decision to
compile such advanced features into the client kernel seems odd to say the
least.
*
The k12linux that currently works with all my current clients is based on
Fedora 10 (a rather*old version) running kernel 2.6.27.12-170.2.* Can
I install Edubuntu 10.10 and then replace the kernel and related libraries in
/opt/ltsp/i386/boot directory with an older version or one compiled
without the cmov and cx8 instructions.*
Would*those options*create incompatibilities with other software
supplied with the system?**I would*even consider downloading
Edubuntu 8.4 if necessary.
*
Dan

Old 01-10-2011, 07:28 PM