Old 01-05-2011, 06:15 PM
dbclinton

Default sudden crashes

Hi,
I recently installed Edubuntu 10.10 on an old Compaq Evo Desktop to
serve a computer lab of five clients (old Compaq Presarios). The network
is running, but once or twice a day the server will crash (blank screen,
no keyboard or mouse). It doesn't seem to matter whether the server
itself is idle or busy or whether there are clients logged in. I
couldn't find any warnings or indicators in the system logs so I assumed
that it was probably a hardware problem. Memtest (via the GRUB menu)
came up fine so that rules out the most obvious issue.
I'm not actually in the lab all that much so I rely on reports from
students. Just today I was told that even when the server crashes the
clients keep running. And that they "thought" that the server might have
come back to life on its own after an hour or so.
Any ideas what this could be and what can be done to find out more?
Thanks,
David Clinton

Old 01-07-2011, 04:44 PM
Lee Harr

> Just today I was told that even when the server crashes the
> clients keep running.

Maybe the video card? Is it a separate card, or built in?

Old 01-12-2011, 02:40 AM
dbclinton

I transplanted the HDD from my Edubuntu 10.10 server into a different
box and the sudden reboots seemed to have stopped. My guess (based on a
couple of suggestions from this list) is that the culprit was a flaky
power supply.

Now, however, I have what seems to be a rerun of an old problem from
8.10: when a user logs out of the server, we lose the monitor entirely
with no apparent way to get it back short of rebooting. The clients are
all still happily chugging away no matter how many users login and out,
but we lose access to the server machine.

I tried SSH-ing to 192.168.0.254 from a client's terminal, but I wasn't
allowed to run GDM.

Any ideas?

By the way, the server is a Compaq Evo P4 2.4GHz with 1 GB RAM

Thanks,

David Clinton