-   -   What is the best way of installing real player for ubuntu? (http://www.linux-archive.org/edubuntu-user/4592-what-best-way-installing-real-player-ubuntu.html)

alan c 11-25-2007 09:39 AM

Charlie Dorff wrote:
> Hi...
> I was wondering if someone could explain the best way of installing real player for ubuntu. Thanks.
> Charlie

(I do not use realplayer now, I use mplayer and the win32 codecs -
however, the GUI and facilities are not as good as realplayer)

Installation Instructions (from a real.com site, slightly edited) -

Download the Realplayer .bin file from http://www.real.com/linux
Ensure that the .bin file you downloaded is executable.
Obviously being careful about typos and upper or lower case
You can make the .bin file executable by running the
"chmod a+x RealPlayer10GOLD.bin" command from a terminal window.

(this works if the file is in your user area. If it is elsewhere, you
may have use sudo command to precede it)

The following commands are expected to be run from a terminal, and you
will usually need to have changed directory to be sitting in the
directory which contains the file before you execute the command

- Run the .bin file by typing "./RealPlayer10GOLD.bin"

or

- Run the .bin file by typing "sudo ./RealPlayer10GOLD.bin"
this will allow the option of installing into a system wide location
such as
/opt which you can state at the appropriate prompt,
otherwise it will be installed in your user area only. With this there
may be some issues subsequently with automatic starting, I am not sure

Follow the prompts provided to finish installing the player.

I would usually use 'system wide' install, although I guess I would be
more vulnerable to security issues from use of an alien binary than if
I restricted things to a user level install only.

I think a sort of usual place to choose the install directory is /opt

- When you launch the player for the first time, a set-up assistant
will take you through configuring your player.

- Enjoy your RealPlayer10 for Linux!

"Alex Gakuru" 11-25-2007 11:16 AM

What is the best way of installing real player for ubuntu?

Hi, though not what you asked, I find Audacious and XMMS pretty compact players.

sudo apt-get install xmms (From http://www.xmms.org)

OR
http://howto.landure.fr/gnu-linux/ubuntu-gutsy-gibbon/audacious-media-player-1-4-for-ubuntu-7-10-gutsy-gibbon

Alex