Old 11-24-2010, 02:45 AM
"Todd O'Bryan"

Default Nice case for building a fat client

I just got one of these cases. A MicroATX motherboard fits into it
very snugly, but it's a very nice overall size:

http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name=CA-0526S15&title=Evercase-E0526-S15-150W-Mini-ITX-Case-Black

The power supply is above part of the motherboard, so you might want
to try your parts before buying a bunch, but if you want something
that's not much bigger than a typical thin client, I think this fits
the bill. Add an inexpensive mobo, a CPU, and RAM, and it's all less
than $200 for a pretty powerful machine.

I've been creating my fat-client image to try to get it running and
will report back once everything is installed and working.

Todd

Old 12-28-2010, 02:58 AM
"Todd O'Bryan"

I've actually had the thing running and my students can't wait until
we get more. The difference in speed between this and a thin client is
beyond noticeable.

Here are the parts I used:

Foxconn A74ML-K 3.0 Socket AM3/ AMD 740G/ A&V&GbE/ MATX
Motherboard MB-A74MLK3 $43.99
Evercase E0526-S15 150W Mini-ITX Case (Black) CA-0526S15 $45.90 $45.90
AMD Athlon II X2 Processor 250 (3.0 GHz) AM3, Retail ADX250OCBX $62.99 $62.99
Super Talent DDR3-1333 2GB Original Memory D32G1333SP $18.98 $18.98
Sub Total
$171.86

I ordered from SuperBiiz, but you could probably get similar pricing
from NewEgg or TigerDirect. Last I checked, those two didn't carry the
case, however, and the case is a really nice, small case for a client.
With a micro-ATX mobo, there's only room for a slim optical drive and
a 2.5 inch hard drive, so if you're not using either of those, you're
not wasting a lot of room. Also, there's a vent just over the location
of the CPU, so the CPU fan blows right out of the case. Since there's
no case fan, that's a pretty good thing.

There are still a couple of things I'm not sure about with using a fat
client with Ubuntu LTSP. I changed /etc/environment, but it doesn't
seem to show up when people log in, and I did have to create a way for
network traffic to get forwarded, but other than that, the set-up is
very nice. It's not super low power, but the CPU is about 65 watts and
the motherboard doesn't use much more. Obviously, you could get a nice
thin client that uses much less power, but I don't think it would be
as fast, and it might not be much smaller.

Todd

Old 01-11-2011, 09:54 PM
David Van Assche

Yeah, the biggest cos these days seem to be monitors :-) which I suppose can be gotten second hand relatively easily.

How's your setup holding up? How many fatclients are you running concurently?

kind regards,

David Van Assche

Old 01-11-2011, 10:27 PM
"Todd O'Bryan"

So far one. I placed an order for 12 more back at the beginning of
December, but my district didn't manage to get it to the vendor until
after Christmas, at which point they were sold out of the motherboard
and we had to start the process again. (sigh)

I'm using the same server to support the fat client as my thirty thin
clients, and everything seems to work fine.

Todd