Old 11-21-2010, 08:58 PM
Giacomo Trovato

Default Boot options

Hi All,

I have seen that in Debian Edu it is possible to choose, at PXE boot, if a client boots as thin client or as diskless workstation.
Is it possible to implement this on Edubuntu 10.10?

Thank you!

Old 11-22-2010, 01:52 PM
"Jonathan Carter (highvoltage)"

Hi Giacomo

On 10-11-21 04:58 PM, Giacomo Trovato wrote:
> I have seen that in Debian Edu it is possible to choose, at PXE boot, if
> a client boots as thin client or as diskless workstation.
> Is it possible to implement this on Edubuntu 10.10?

While that sounds nice, I'm not sure whether there's any benefit in
including that in Edubuntu. On LTSP on Edubuntu, you can specify in the
lts.conf file whether you want a terminal to start up as a thin client
or a fat client. IMHO that's better than letting it over to a choice of
the user? In my experience most users wouldn't care or know what a thin
client or diskless workstation (and the difference between them) so it's
probably better that the administrator sets that.

Unless there's something I'm missing

-Jonathan

Old 11-22-2010, 02:13 PM
Giacomo Trovato

Hi Jonathan,

thank you for the fast response.
Probably you are right: I had forgotten about the settings on lts.conf.
To have a workstation is related to another problem. I'm thinking to use an LTSP workstation for the teacher but: is it possible to run Italc as master on a workstation and not on the server?

Another question: what is the best manual partitioning scheme? I need to know since I want to install on RAID1 (software).