-   -   Hardy A4 (http://www.linux-archive.org/edubuntu-user/45524-hardy-a4.html)

02-02-2008 03:56 PM

Hardy A4

I downloaded A4 alternate CD and installed in text mode. I have a
Gateway m285-e tablet pc. After installation, the system boots to
"Running local boot scripts(/etc/rc.local) and then hangs. If I perform
a "ctrl-alt-del" , "Stopping Gnome Display Manager" comes up and then
the system shuts down. I am not sure what is hanging it up. Any help
would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ron

"Charles Austin" 02-03-2008 01:41 AM

Hardy A4

On Feb 2, 2008 11:56 AM, <rmcdaniel@indata.us> wrote:
> I downloaded A4 alternate CD and installed in text mode. I have a
> Gateway m285-e tablet pc. After installation, the system boots to
> "Running local boot scripts(/etc/rc.local) and then hangs. If I perform
> a "ctrl-alt-del" , "Stopping Gnome Display Manager" comes up and then
> the system shuts down. I am not sure what is hanging it up. Any help
> would be appreciated.

Instead of trying ctrl-alt-del, try to find out if mingetty is
starting by using ctrl-alt-F1. If mingetty started, you should be
greeted with a console interface that will either be prompting you for
a login, or will be displaying boot-up messages.

There should be 6 different consoles that start (F1 through F6). If
the system is not completing the boot, and you can get to a console,
you can review the dmesg file to see what is happening as the system
boots. The command is "sudo less /var/log/dmesg". A lot of it is
cryptic, but the last 15 or 20 lines should give some indication of
the problem.

Hope that helps,
Charles

"Charles Austin" 02-04-2008 12:27 PM

Hardy A4

Forgot to copy the list. Sorry about that.

> On Feb 3, 2008 11:44 PM, <rmcdaniel@indata.us> wrote:
> > I didn't notice anything standing out in the dmesg file. I tried to run
> > startx and received this error:
> >
> > No valid modes
> > Screens found, but none have a usable configuration
> > waiting for X server to begin accepting connections
> > giving up.
> > unable to connect to X server
> >

> > So, it seems like it is a problem loading the video driver possibly.
> > What file do I need to check for the video settings, xorg.conf?

You probably need to get some more info on the type of video card you have:
sudo lspci -v |more
lists all of the hardware devices that the system sees, one of them
should be your video card.

Also, you will want to check out the Xorg.0.log for error messages.
Try googling around for the video card and Ubuntu, or any strange
error messages in the Xorg logs.

Charles