Old 02-02-2008, 10:03 AM

Default Testing Hardy Alpha 4

OK, Hardy Alpha 4 is out:

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel-announce/2008-February/000373.html

So I download tomorrow this image and start testing:

http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/releases/hardy/alpha-4/hardy-alternate-amd64.iso

"hit F6 after selecting language, VGA and all other options you need at
the installer bootmenu of the CD. a comandline will appear at the bottom
right, append the following behind the two dashes:

ltsp-client-builder/run=true

this will run the ltsp setup at the end of the install, if your machine
has two network cards the thin client network will then be ready out of
the box on the spare network card after your first reboot."

I'm going stay up all night anyway becuase of Super Bowl ;-).

Best Regards Asmo Koskinen.

Old 02-03-2008, 09:05 PM
Asmo Koskinen

asmo.koskinen@arkki.info kirjoitti:
> "hit F6 after selecting language, VGA and all other options you need at
> the installer bootmenu of the CD. a comandline will appear at the bottom
> right, append the following behind the two dashes:
>
> ltsp-client-builder/run=true

[alpha-4/hardy-alternate-amd64.iso]

I hit F6 before selecting anything else and then run installer
(selecting language and so on).

Everything else is OK, but USB-stick is mounted as twice on client's
desktop (two nautilus and two icons, see screenshot) and client's
desktop do not remember screen resolution.

Here is my yet another finnish howto, at the bottom of wiki page are few
screenshots (USB-stick, Youtube/Gnash, Vinagre and so on):

http://wiki.ubuntu-fi.org/Ubuntu_8.04_Alternate_%28x86_64%29

Best Regards Asmo Koskinen.

Old 02-04-2008, 07:35 PM
Asmo Koskinen

Asmo Koskinen kirjoitti:
> http://wiki.ubuntu-fi.org/Ubuntu_8.04_Alternate_%28x86_64%29

All the screenshots are from thin client.

If I got full 32-bit Ubuntu 7.10 with LTSP5, I can use Flash (with
sound) and Java (on the important educational site).

Flash - http://www.arkki.info/howto/Wiki/LTSP5_64/Alpha4_64/Firefox32_04.png
Java - http://www.arkki.info/howto/Wiki/LTSP5_64/Alpha4_64/Firefox32_05.png

If I use 32-bit Firefox inside 64-bit Hardy Alpha 4, I can use Flash
(with sound on the server, not on the client).

Flash - http://www.arkki.info/howto/Wiki/LTSP5_64/Alpha4_64/Firefox32_01.png
Flash - http://www.arkki.info/howto/Wiki/LTSP5_64/Alpha4_64/Firefox32_02.png

Java is not working on the important educational site - Java is
installed on the 32-bit Firefox on the 64-bit hardy Alpha 4.

Java - http://www.arkki.info/howto/Wiki/LTSP5_64/Alpha4_64/Firefox32_03.png

This educational site (our town, population over 30 000, has bought that
service to the all pupils in the town) use Html, Java, Flash and Shockwave.

On the 32-bit Edubuntu I can handle three of them directly and shockwave
by Wine/FF.

But on the 64 -bit Edubuntu I can handle only two of them, no luck for
Java or Shcokwave (maybe with 32-bit Wine/FF, but that option has too
many steps...).

You can test your own browser here for that educational site:

http://content.opit.wsoy.fi/bh_sivut/browserhawk.asp?bhcp=1

When I got Duo Core Xeon servers I really like to use them on the 64-bit
environment. On my own office I can do that (we do not need Flash or
Java), but on the schools they need Flash and Java - so I have to run
32-bit Edubuntu on the 64-bit machine.

To me that service is almost as bad as Live@Edu...

Best Regards Asmo Koskinen.