Old 02-02-2008, 12:39 AM
"R. Scott Belford"

Default Flash Audio on 7.10 Thin Clients

Greetings

There seems to have been some changes since this download was available
to enable flash audio

wget
http://pulseaudio.vdbonline.net/libflashsupport/libflashsupport_1.0~2219-1_i386.deb

I see this link at Adobe suggesting that libflash is rather dynamic.

http://labs.adobe.com/wiki/index.php/Flash_Player:Additional_Interface_Support_for_Linu x#Building_and_installing

Has anyone been able to make flash work on 7.10 clients, or should I
press harder with gnash?

--scott

Old 02-02-2008, 02:52 AM
"Charles Austin"

On Feb 1, 2008 8:39 PM, R. Scott Belford <scott@hosef.org> wrote:

> Has anyone been able to make flash work on 7.10 clients, or should I
> press harder with gnash?

Scott,
I have not tried flash with sound, but I did find that downloading and
installing the tar.gz for flash from the Adobe site provided better
results on the couple of pages the teachers wanted to use
(www.funbrain.com).

gnash did not seem to give good results.

Charles

Old 02-02-2008, 12:11 PM
uwe geercken

scott,

I have downloaded the flash support from adobe and installed it without
problems. and I have installed it on a computer at work.

rgds,

uwe

Old 02-02-2008, 06:37 PM
"R. Scott Belford"

uwe geercken wrote:
> scott,
>
> I have downloaded the flash support from adobe and installed it without
> problems. and I have installed it on a computer at work.

Did you download the source from here?

http://www.kaourantin.net/flashplayer/flashsupport.c

and did you follow these directions?

We suggest the following, or similar, steps to compile and install the
dynamic library:

cc -shared -O2 -Wall -Werror -licuuc -lssl flashsupport.c -o
libflashsupport.so
ldd libflashplayer.so
sudo cp libflashplayer.so /usr/lib

The Adobe page is not terribly clear on how to proceed.

> rgds,
>
> uwe

--scott

Old 02-02-2008, 10:32 PM
Jordan Erickson

I noticed that the original link to libflashsupport was bad too - I put
up a copy I had up on my own server, you can get it here:

http://logicalnetworking.net/other/libflashsupport_1.0~2219-1_i386.deb

After this is installed (given you're on an i386 server install and
flash plugin is already working, besides sound), it should 'just work'.

HTH,
Jordan

---

--
Jordan Erickson
Owner, Logical Networking Solutions

Latest LNS Blogs - http://blogs.logicalnetworking.net

RFID Passports coming in 2008
Peru orders 260,000 OLPC laptops for kids, Mexico 50,000
CNet to Microsoft: Ditch Vista

Old 02-02-2008, 10:48 PM
Jordan Erickson

Here, I updated my wiki to show some simple instructions on getting
flash installed for Ubuntu LTSP:

http://lns.wikidot.com/firefoxflash

It's quite possible I might have missed something obvious as I just
wrote it from memory - but let me know if it works for you.

- Jordan

Old 02-03-2008, 09:32 AM
Gavin McCullagh

Hi Jordan,

On Sat, 02 Feb 2008, Jordan Erickson wrote:

> I noticed that the original link to libflashsupport was bad too - I put
> up a copy I had up on my own server, you can get it here:
>
> http://logicalnetworking.net/other/libflashsupport_1.0~2219-1_i386.deb
>
> After this is installed (given you're on an i386 server install and
> flash plugin is already working, besides sound), it should 'just work'.

This seems to be the debian package created by CJ van Den Berg. I wonder
why he's not hosting the binary any more. An updated source seems to be
here:

http://pulseaudio.vdbonline.net/

If you're going to host the package, would you mind updating the FAQ to
point to your copy?

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EdubuntuFAQ#head-9eab8b3fa984d1b72c777b67a5bb557646e5946b

Thanks,
Gavin

Old 02-03-2008, 04:31 PM
Jordan Erickson

Ok, I just updated the FAQ - We might want to consider distributing this
package far and wide as my server is hosted on a 512kb/sec upstream DSL
line. I don't mind hosting it at all, though. Of course, if there is
updated source, maybe someone can build an updated .deb package? /me
isn't familiar with the process.

Sincerely,
Jordan

Old 02-03-2008, 11:58 PM
"Larry Stamm"

> Greetings There seems to have been some changes since this
> download was available to enable flash audio

> wget
> http://pulseaudio.vdbonline.net/libflashsupport/libflashsupport_1.0~2219-1_i386.deb

> I see this link at Adobe suggesting that libflash is rather
> dynamic.

> http://labs.adobe.com/wiki/index.php/Flash_Player:Additional_Interface_Support_for_Linu x#Building_and_installing

> Has anyone been able to make flash work on 7.10 clients, or
> should I press harder with gnash?

I got Flash audio to work for 7.10 clients with the above libflashsupport package and
the Adobe Flash binary from the Adobe website. Once I had both these
packages installed no further configuration was necessary for the
clients.

The Adobe Flash binary did not work by itself; I needed to install the
libflashsupport package also.

Larry Stamm, Network Administrator
McBride and District Public Library
Ph: 250-569-2411