Old 02-01-2008, 09:35 PM
"Joseph Hartman"

Default Thin clients partially loading

Just to update the powers that be about my issue:

Following Gavin's suggestions I tried setting the color depth and got no change. Then I erased the "splash" and "quiet" and after the verbose startup messages got a final message that said something about how display could not be shown at 44100 Hz and it was going down to 44099 Hz. That didn't change anything though, I still got no log in screen. I did confirm that the thin clients in question work flawlessly with Feisty though. And in another turn of good luck (for me) I discovered that Feisty (but still not Gutsy) works with my donated Fujitsu-Siemens machines that I posted about here last year:

After writing the above post I was able to calm down and get Gutsy to work on the Fujitsu-Siemens boxes after putting an AGP card into them, but I only had about 6 AGP cards and 25 boxes so now I can use the other 19 as servers too. Too bad I won't get the faster thin client boot with these machines though. Well I guess I'm in pretty good shape for now and I've read that some improvements in xserver and monitor recognition or something are coming with Hardy so hopefully when the time comes I can upgrade all the machines to Hardy and be done with it. Thanks again for helping -joe

On Wed, 23 Jan 2008, Joseph Hartman wrote:

> I've got several older IBM desktops and other machines that only
> partially load the edubuntu image when connected as thin clients.
> Basically they do everything right up until the edubuntu splash screen

> where the orange bar goes from left to right. Then I get a little
> blinking cursor at the top left of the screen for a second or two and
> then instead of loading the login screen the cursor just reappears. If I

> remember right these machines loaded the Feisty image just fine, but now
> I'm going with Gutsy and have this problem, anybody got any ideas? Thanks
> again

Have you tried setting

[default]

* * * *X_COLOR_DEPTH=16

in /var/lib/tftpboot/ltsp/i386/lts.conf?

If that doesn't work, you can edit
/var/lib/tftpboot/ltsp/i386/pxelinux.cfg/default and remove the words

"splash" and "quiet" to get more verbose booting messages which might give
us a better clue.

Gavin

Old 02-02-2008, 10:11 AM
Gavin McCullagh

Hi,

On Fri, 01 Feb 2008, Joseph Hartman wrote:

> Following Gavin's suggestions I tried setting the color depth and got no
> change. Then I erased the "splash" and "quiet" and after the verbose startup
> messages got a final message that said something about how display could not
> be shown at 44100 Hz and it was going down to 44099 Hz.

44100Hz sounds like a sound error so that's probably not the one we need.
I know it's tedious, but could you look through the errors and type them
into an email.

Does the screen go completely blank, change to something else, or does the
error sit there?

I'd suggest you set the root password on the thin clients as described
here:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EdubuntuFAQ#head-285f03d2d3ed2f29847c7793dbdb8f1488814c1b

then you can press <ctrl><alt><F1> and get a shell on the thin client.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DebugThinClientLogin

It sounds like either
- X is starting correctly but the monitor is not being detected (your
forum post mentions that the problem depends on the monitor)
- X is dying

The file /var/log/Xorg.0.log will probably provide some feedback
information on what X is doing. A failure error at the end would indicate
X dying. A monitor detection issue could probably be fixed by adding a few
parameters to lts.conf.

Could you tell us what the video card is by giving us the output of the
command
"lspci -v"

> After writing the above post I was able to calm down and get Gutsy to work
> on the Fujitsu-Siemens boxes after putting an AGP card into them, but I only
> had about 6 AGP cards and 25 boxes so now I can use the other 19 as servers
> too.

Okay, so it's a problem relating to the video card, but you need to tell us
what the video card is so we can work out what might be wrong.

> Too bad I won't get the faster thin client boot with these machines
> though. Well I guess I'm in pretty good shape for now and I've read that
> some improvements in xserver and monitor recognition or something are
> coming with Hardy so hopefully when the time comes I can upgrade all the
> machines to Hardy and be done with it. Thanks again for helping -joe

Don't give up on gutsy -- it just seems like a detection issue which we can
fix by adding a little info to lts.conf. Also, if you happen to have an
awkward piece of hardware that's revealing a bug, it might not be fixed in
hardy unless we work it now.

Give us the lspci output and look for [EE] lines in /var/log/Xorg.0.log on
the thin client (if you know you could scp it off the thin client and
attach it to an email).

Gavin