Old 11-04-2010, 02:06 PM
Joseph Bishay

Default Local Apps?

Hello,

I hope everyone is doing well.

I just finished a clean install of Edubuntu 10.10 and everything is
working great. I would like to activate the use of Local Apps in
order to take advantage of the processing power of the thin clients.

I have successfully followed the instructions to get Thin Client NAT
working as per https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuLTSP/ThinClientHowtoNAT/

I am just a bit confused now on how to proceed. There doesn't seem to
be a page on the Wiki specifically for version 10.10. Which of the
following I follow:

1) https://wiki.ubuntu.com/EnableLTSP5LocalDevices
2) https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LTSPLocalAppSetup (Says this page is
specific to Ubuntu versions 8.10)
3) https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuLTSP/LTSPLocalAppsJaunty
(Says This page is specific to Ubuntu versions 9.04)
4) https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuLTSPKarmicLocalAppsFirefox
(Says This page is specific to Ubuntu versions 9.10 and 10.04, and
seems to be only for Firefox? Is that all that is needed?)
5) https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuLTSP/GetMoreFromLocalApps
(Says This page is specific to Ubuntu versions 8.10, 9.04 and 10.04)

So I'm a bit confused as to how to proceed. From what others have
written in the past, I understand that Local Apps allows the thin
client to off-load some of the server's processing onto itself, which
is exactly what I want, without the thin clients needing a hard drive,
etc.

I suppose that for the vast majority of people, running Firefox is
probably enough but I am unclear on how to do this.

Thank you
Joseph