Old 11-03-2010, 03:35 PM
john

Default Advice needed Best Thin Client for local apps

Hi all,

We're getting ready to move to Ubuntu Lucid LTS primarily for local
apps. However we'll need to replace our current generation of thin
clients (ntavo 6020's). We're in the market for the best performing
TC's we can find ideally for under 300.00.

I've tested the eeebox pc with 1.6 ghz atom processor and 1 ghz ram.
It seems to work well, but we've had complaints from other testers
that it freezes on them. It also doesn't obey our local shutdown
scripts. Also I believe it uses the system ram to drive the video
display
and I'd prefer to have dedicated memory for that.

In short I'd be interested in finding a compact 2 core TC with 2 gigs
ram with a well supported video card that didn't cannibalize system
ram to run.
I see Asus makes a dual core version of the eeebox (ASUS Eee Box
EB1501-W0167 Intel Atom ) but the price is nearly 500.00. At that
point we sort of lost the whole pricing rational for using thin
clients.

Any advice folks could share would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Old 11-06-2010, 07:39 AM
"Todd O'Bryan"

I built a small PC, but it's powerful enough to use with DRBL, not
just thin clients. Here were the parts:

http://www.amazon.com/XION-Desktop-Card-reader-Power-Supply/dp/B003THQS20/ref=sr_1_10?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1288911806&s r=1-10

http://www.amazon.com/AMD-Athlon-II-255-3-1GHz/dp/B0035JKNDM/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1288911909&sr =1-2

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148352

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813186201

It seems to be pretty darned speedy, doesn't use a lot of power, and
the case fan is fairly quiet. Once you add shipping, it's right around
$200, and you have to put it together, but buying parts means you can
get a lot of computer power fairly cheaply. I mean, throw a hard drive
and optical drive in this thing and it's more powerful than the model
my district buys and considerably cheaper.

I wish someone made a cheap little case for people who didn't intend
to put in hard drives and optical drives, but once you get to
MicroATX, they leave enough room for a whole computer.

Todd