Old 10-27-2010, 12:47 PM
David Groos

Default Add menu item not working (using LTSP)

Hi,

A program that's very important to the other teachers and my own classroom use is CmapTools.* It has it's own graphical install but doesn't add itself to a menu.* I've made a launcher (that shows up on my own desktop) and CmapTools works great as a localapp (doesn't work well as a thin client app).* I've worked to get this launcher in all users menu using "How To Add an Item To The GNOME Menu For All Users" which is clear and I can follow, but even though I can accurately follow it, I can't get the menu item to show up in the menu.

Would someone in the know look at that tutorial and see if they see a flaw in it--maybe it needs a tweak for 10.04?* Maybe a tweak for LTSP?

Since I couldn't get it to work, for myself I finally made a launcher, put it in a shared folder, had students, 'drag and drop it' onto their desktop, open properties/permissions, check 'executable' box and then they could use it.* But that takes valuable science learning time and there are practical problems (students absent, etc) so I really need a simpler solution before the other teachers use it.

Thanks,
David

Old 11-01-2010, 12:05 PM
David Groos

Hi Todd,
Due to your response I went to the tutorial again and went through every step in preparation to seeing what all I needed to post.* Upon re-re-re reading the directions I saw what the author was implying (different from what he was saying) and did that and... it worked

Thanks,
David

Can you post the .desktop file you created, and we'll see if there's a problem.