Old 10-26-2010, 05:53 PM
Jim Christiansen

Default Help! 10.04 LTSP becomes very slow to load and operate.

I've been fighting a huge slow-down of our current 10.04 *ltsp 34 client system. *I'm not running local apps, the server has 8 gigs of ram and a 6 core processor. *The cpu load is rarely over 30 or 40 % and swap is never used. *One nic on the server attached to a 100 megabit unmanaged switch.

The slowness comes unexpectedly and a restart may not improve the situation.
The wierd part is if I fire up our old K12LTSP server things work normally as ever...

Does anyone know how to diagnose this problem? *I don't know if our network is saturated/maxed out, if the wiring has gone downhill and become problematic again, or if I have an internal server setup mistake. *I'm on an internal 192.168.1 subnet and think I've edited the system files properly.

Thanks, *Jim

Old 10-26-2010, 06:12 PM
David Hopkins

Jim,

Sounds very familiar to what I was experiencing ... check via top if
dbus is using 100% of cpu in which case this could be the issue I saw
with nofile defaulting 1024. (ps -u messagebus for the PID, then cat
/proc/PID/limits to see what the current limits are) .. the load
averages were low but the system was almost non-responsive.

Also, if you are nfs mounting home directories, check the settings for
wsize and rsize. I've found that 8192 works well with Ubuntu but my
prior setting of 32768 caused all kinds of random issues due to slow
file access.

I also found that with older hardware (specifically older Compaq
systems and systems with less than 128Mb memory) I could get one
misbehaving client which would slow everything down tremendously.

There was also an issue with flash and needed to set a couple of flags
for plugin-container:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Plugin-container_and_out-of-process_plugins
... I just made the changes directly in firefox.js as that was most
expedient.

And ... I found that I also needed to delete a lot of the old config
files for users when I migrated from K12LTSP based on RHEL4 to Ubuntu.

Just my guesses ...

Sincerely,
Dave Hopkins

Old 10-27-2010, 06:39 PM
john

Hi David,

Can you describe how older clients (or possibly just compaq clients)
make things worse? Do you know why this might be. I have a number of
older clients on the network and would be very interested to know if
they are actually degrading the LTSP experience for more modern
clients in some way.

One thing I've noticed on any client you care to name is that it will
often become "diconnected" from nbd somehow, and although it will
continue to run, it will chatter frantically over the network to the
server.

Thanks!

John

Old 10-31-2010, 09:03 PM
"Todd O'Bryan"

On 10.04 I've noticed that gnome-panel often eats up tons of CPU,
especially for people who aren't actually logged in. Slaying those
users solves the problem, but students have to let me know it's
happening.

I haven't seen it happening in the last week or two, so I don't know
if an update fixed the problem.

Todd

Old 11-01-2010, 03:50 PM
Jim Christiansen

Thank you everyone for the*idea*to looks at. *I haven't found anything yet. *The server is currently out of service and just idling... *It sure would be nice to get that powerful beast online for my class. *I had 24 grade 8s on it last week when it was running normally and they had even enabled bouncy windows in*appearance- effects. *Things were running so well... *Then just like a knife stroke- sudden slowness.

I keep thinking I must have missed something in the configs. * Something to do with the server not being on the defualt 192.168.0 subnet or using only 1 nic... *Doesn't explain how it runs perfectly on other*occasions*though...

Thanks, *Jim

Old 11-01-2010, 05:27 PM
Gerald Drouillard

On 10/26/2010 2:12 PM, David Hopkins wrote:
> Jim,
>
> There was also an issue with flash and needed to set a couple of flags
> for plugin-container:
> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Plugin-container_and_out-of-process_plugins
> ... I just made the changes directly in firefox.js as that was most
> expedient.

Note that the settings in Lucid are in
/user/lib/firefox-3.6.12/defaults/pref/firefox.js

Adding the changes to the firefox.js in the /etc/firefox-3.0/pref will
not make a difference.

--
Regards

Old 11-01-2010, 07:35 PM
theluketaylor

Does this mean when firefox 3.6.13 is released admins will have to add
their custom changes all over again? Isn't the whole idea of having
/etc/firefox-3.0/pref to avoid overwriting/ignoring changes when it
comes to minor releases?

Old 11-02-2010, 03:08 PM
john

Hi Luke,

Here's what the comments at the top of the
/etc/firefox/pref/firefox.js say (on Lucid):

// This is the Debian specific preferences file for Mozilla Firefox
// You can make any change in here, it is the purpose of this file.
// You can, with this file and all files present in the
// /etc/firefox/pref directory, override any preference that is
// present in /usr/lib/firefox/defaults/pref directory.
// While your changes will be kept on upgrade if you modify files in
// /etc/firefox/pref, please note that they won't be kept if you
// do them in /usr/lib/firefox/defaults/pref.

In Hardy they seem to live under:

/etc/firefox-3.0/pref/firefox.js

The function of the file is the same I believe.

John

Old 11-22-2010, 11:49 PM
Jim Christiansen

Hello,
Our network has been*segregated*to isolate and streamline any excessive or errant network troubles. *I haven't put the server under load yet as the wiring seemed a good place to fix up first. *It is strange how the 10.04 LTSP will really perform so well for 30 minutes or 3 hours then*quickly*degrade in performance... *I'm still using an old 4 gig 3 core ltsp server with Centos as the backup server for my classroom. *It runs out of ram at about 23 users or so but is very reliable.

Sounds like we may have performance issues stemming from the same problem. *I'm going to re-install the LTSP system using two nics this time and leave everything default. *Luckily I have a switch connected straight to the outside located in my classroom.

Jim*