Old 10-26-2010, 08:59 AM
Asmo Koskinen

Default About Unity thing

Hi,

what we can expect from this Unity thing for simple LTSP users like me?

"Shuttleworth identified multitouch support as a very high priority for
Unity."

"Unity will be at the heart of the ambitious Ubuntu 11.04 roadmap. Due
to the enormous magnitude of the changes that it will bring to the
Ubuntu desktop, it will likely be a major focus of discussion this week
at the Ubuntu Developer Summit."

http://www.linuxonline.ca/?q=node/225

Multitouch in thin clients - really ;-)

Best Regards Asmo Koskinen.

Old 10-26-2010, 01:06 PM
"Jonathan Carter (highvoltage)"

Hi Asmo

On 26/10/2010 04:59, Asmo Koskinen wrote:
> what we can expect from this Unity thing for simple LTSP users like me?

The plan is to have decent 2D fallback modes before it gets implemented.
If your thin clients have 3D acceleration, performance will actually be
better than a 2D desktop on LTSP.

> "Shuttleworth identified multitouch support as a very high priority for
> Unity."
>
> "Unity will be at the heart of the ambitious Ubuntu 11.04 roadmap. Due
> to the enormous magnitude of the changes that it will bring to the
> Ubuntu desktop, it will likely be a major focus of discussion this week
> at the Ubuntu Developer Summit."
>
> http://www.linuxonline.ca/?q=node/225
>
> Multitouch in thin clients - really ;-)

Sure, why not. If the hardware supports it, then the software should too

-Jonathan

Old 10-26-2010, 01:15 PM
Stéphane Graber

On Tue, 2010-10-26 at 09:06 -0400, Jonathan Carter (highvoltage) wrote:
> Hi Asmo
>
> On 26/10/2010 04:59, Asmo Koskinen wrote:
> > what we can expect from this Unity thing for simple LTSP users like me?
>
> The plan is to have decent 2D fallback modes before it gets implemented.
> If your thin clients have 3D acceleration, performance will actually be
> better than a 2D desktop on LTSP.

Indeed, and I talked to most of the Unity team here in Orlando and they
promised to fix any issue that we see on thin clients. We should just
make sure to test it early in the cycle to leave them time to fix it.

As the new Unity uses compiz instead of mutter and compiz works fine on
thin clients with supported network cards. So my guess is that for
recent Intel/ATI based thin clients, we'll probably be able to run
Unity, for the rest, we'll get a good old gnome desktop.

In real deployments, my guess is that you'll either have Unity working
everywhere and use it or force everyone to the old interface. Switching
should be as easy as a gconf key or a XDG desktop session.

> > "Shuttleworth identified multitouch support as a very high priority for
> > Unity."
> >
> > "Unity will be at the heart of the ambitious Ubuntu 11.04 roadmap. Due
> > to the enormous magnitude of the changes that it will bring to the
> > Ubuntu desktop, it will likely be a major focus of discussion this week
> > at the Ubuntu Developer Summit."
> >
> > http://www.linuxonline.ca/?q=node/225
> >
> > Multitouch in thin clients - really ;-)
>
> Sure, why not. If the hardware supports it, then the software should too

We won't need to do any work to get multitouch working. As the actual
hardware support is built-in X, all events will be sent to the X clients
including utouch. So if you have hardware with multi-touch capability
(new Asus EEEtop maybe support it ?) they should work fine.

> -Jonathan

So all in all, I'm not overly worried about the switch to Unity by
default as long as we make sure to test it early on and make sure the
relevant blacklists are updated for hardware that won't work (I'm
thinking of VIA based and ION based thin clients mostly).

--
Stéphane Graber
Ubuntu developer

Old 10-26-2010, 01:33 PM
Stéphane Graber

On Tue, 2010-10-26 at 09:15 -0400, Stéphane Graber wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-10-26 at 09:06 -0400, Jonathan Carter (highvoltage) wrote:
> > Hi Asmo
> >
> > On 26/10/2010 04:59, Asmo Koskinen wrote:
> > > what we can expect from this Unity thing for simple LTSP users like me?
> >
> > The plan is to have decent 2D fallback modes before it gets implemented.
> > If your thin clients have 3D acceleration, performance will actually be
> > better than a 2D desktop on LTSP.
>
> Indeed, and I talked to most of the Unity team here in Orlando and they
> promised to fix any issue that we see on thin clients. We should just
> make sure to test it early in the cycle to leave them time to fix it.
>
> As the new Unity uses compiz instead of mutter and compiz works fine on
> thin clients with supported network cards. So my guess is that for
> recent Intel/ATI based thin clients, we'll probably be able to run
> Unity, for the rest, we'll get a good old gnome desktop.

Obviously I was meaning to say "with support video cards", I guess I'm
bad at multi-tasking today as I'm attending a session on improving the
network stack