Old 10-13-2010, 08:40 AM
Joao Ferreira gmail

Default cant start netbook desktop on VirtualBox VM

Hello all,

I am a Linux / Debian / *buntu user for some time now. Great software

I was trying out edubuntu 10.01 for my 9 year old boy. I installed it on
a VirtualBox VM and I requested the instalation of the Netbook Desktop.

It happens that in the VirtualBox environment (I did not yet try the
'real' computer) I get an error message when I try to load the "Ubuntu
Netbook Edition" Desktop. Then I just get re-directed to the login page
again.

The message says:

"No required driver detected for unity
You will need to choose the Ubuntu Desktop session once you select your
username
..."

Is there any way around this on the VM ? My intention is just to give it
a try at the Netbook interface and ask my son if he'dd like to have that
or the usual one. He is an Ubuntu 8.10 fan since 7 years old

Thanks
Joao

Old 10-13-2010, 11:04 AM
Joao Ferreira gmail

Hello all,

I was trying out edubuntu 10.01 for my 9 year old boy. I installed it on
a VirtualBox VM and, during install, I requested the instalation of the
Netbook Desktop.

It happens that in the VirtualBox environment (I did not yet try the
'real' computer) I get an error message when I try to use the "Ubuntu
Netbook Edition" Desktop. Then I just get re-directed to the login page
again.

The message says:

"No required driver detected for unity
You will need to choose the Ubuntu Desktop session once you select your
username
..."

Is there any way around this on the VM ? My intention is just to give it
a try at the Netbook interface and ask my son if he'dd like to have that
or the usual one. He is an Ubuntu 8.10 fan since 7 years old Very
demanding costumer... changes are dangerous

Thanks
Joao

Old 10-13-2010, 12:33 PM

On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 07:04, Joao Ferreira gmail
<joao.miguel.c.ferreira@gmail.com> wrote:
> "No required driver detected for unity
> You will need to choose the Ubuntu Desktop session once you select your
> username

IIRC, Unity requires 3D acceleration which may or may not be possible
in your VM (not without using special drivers (like virtualbox-extras
or the vmware equivalent).

you could try installing desktop, installing the appropriate
additions/extras drivers (depending on what VM system you're using)
then manually install unity afterwards... but I'm not positive that
would work, to be honest... haven't tried it myself.

Old 10-13-2010, 12:36 PM
"Jonathan Carter (highvoltage)"

Hi Joao

On 13/10/2010 04:40, Joao Ferreira gmail wrote:
> I am a Linux / Debian / *buntu user for some time now. Great software
>
> I was trying out edubuntu 10.01 for my 9 year old boy. I installed it on
> a VirtualBox VM and I requested the instalation of the Netbook Desktop.
>
> It happens that in the VirtualBox environment (I did not yet try the
> 'real' computer) I get an error message when I try to load the "Ubuntu
> Netbook Edition" Desktop. Then I just get re-directed to the login page
> again.
>
> The message says:
>
> "No required driver detected for unity
> You will need to choose the Ubuntu Desktop session once you select your
> username
> ..."
>
> Is there any way around this on the VM ? My intention is just to give it
> a try at the Netbook interface and ask my son if he'dd like to have that
> or the usual one. He is an Ubuntu 8.10 fan since 7 years old

Unfortunately the new Ubuntu Netbook interface (called Unity), requires
3D accelerated graphics to work properly. You could try to enable 3D
graphics for the virtual machine in VirtualBox, if your host has a good
display card and drivers it should work ok.

Otherwise, you could select a Gnome desktop by choosing it on the login
screen just after you have chosen the username.

What we'll do for the next release is work with the Qimo project to
include a child-friendly gnome desktop that wouldn't require any fancy
hardware. In the meantime, apologies for any inconvenience!

-Jonathan