Old 09-18-2010, 12:03 AM
Jack ODonnell

Default Open Source Adult Literacy Software

Hi all

One of our partners has requested that we send computers that can be
used in an adult literacy programs. Since the computers will be
equipped with Edubuntu we are hoping to add programs to help them
address this need

Does anyone know of Linux based software that would compliment an adult
literacy program? Or secondarily does anyone know of free online
resources that could be used to support such a program

Thanks
Jack ODonnell
Chicago Coordinator
Regional Manager for Latin America
773 316 2944

www.WorldComputerExchange.org Technology + Education = Potential

What WCE’s 700 volunteers and 25 global Strategic Allies can deliver:

* Technologies: refurbished computers and other equipment
* Network: thousands of grassroots groups in 71 developing
countries
* Capacity Building: planning, fund raising, public relations,
partnership development
* Content: education and health materials loaded on computers
prior to shipping
* Tech Support: online and onsite (eCorps) troubleshooting,
training and upgrading
* Teacher Training: online and onsite training in the educational
use of the internet
* Recycling: responsible disposal of toxins in computers
www.Reciclemos.net
* University Exchanges: faculty, students, curriculum and
materials
* Deployment: shipping logistics for technology used in economic
development
* Entrepreneurs: incubating development projects in solar, water
and e-waste

Old 09-18-2010, 04:44 PM
"Jonathan Carter (highvoltage)"

Hi Jack

On 17/09/2010 20:03, Jack ODonnell wrote:
> One of our partners has requested that we send computers that can be
> used in an adult literacy programs. Since the computers will be
> equipped with Edubuntu we are hoping to add programs to help them
> address this need
>
> Does anyone know of Linux based software that would compliment an adult
> literacy program? Or secondarily does anyone know of free online
> resources that could be used to support such a program

I was once involved in a project where we set up two Ubuntu labs in
prisons. We didn't have much of a plan initially and didn't know quite
what to expect. Since they weren't allowed Internet access (or at least,
very limited and monitored Internet access at very specific times), we
installed as much software on the systems as possible.

We knew that some of the residents (for lack of better word, I'm not
sure if 'inmates' is a P.C. term these days) didn't have any computer
skills or exposure before, so we installed all the edu* packages as well
since they're usually quite useful for teaching basic keyboard and mouse
skills. It turns out that even kids games for spelling and reading
worked quite well there.

I'm surprised that there isn't more Linux-based software that's
specifically aimed towards adult literacy, it's kind of a low-hanging
fruit, although not particularly 'glamorous'.

If you do find anything that's useful that we could include in Edubuntu,
please let us know!

-Jonathan