Old 09-07-2010, 04:25 AM
Nick Fenger

Default Google Chrome as Local App?

Fellow LTSP folks,
I'm wondering if anyone has google chrome working as a local app? If so, what configuration worked? NFS instead of NBD? Chrome works much better with google docs so I would like to get it going.*

Thanks,
--
Nick Fenger
-Information Technology

Trillium Charter School
5420 N. Interstate Ave
Portland, OR 97217
(503) 285-3833
http://www.trilliumcharterschool.org

Old 09-07-2010, 12:52 PM
"Jonathan Carter (highvoltage)"

Hi Nick

On 07/09/2010 00:25, Nick Fenger wrote:
> I'm wondering if anyone has google chrome working as a local app? If so,
> what configuration worked? NFS instead of NBD? Chrome works much better
> with google docs so I would like to get it going.

Adding this to lts.conf should do the trick:

SSH_FOLLOW_SYMLINKS=False

-Jonathan

Old 09-07-2010, 03:20 PM
Richard Doyle

On Tue, 2010-09-07 at 08:52 -0400, Jonathan Carter (highvoltage) wrote:
> Hi Nick
>
> On 07/09/2010 00:25, Nick Fenger wrote:
> > I'm wondering if anyone has google chrome working as a local app? If so,
> > what configuration worked? NFS instead of NBD? Chrome works much better
> > with google docs so I would like to get it going.
>
> Adding this to lts.conf should do the trick:
>
> SSH_FOLLOW_SYMLINKS=False

Not sure why, but Chrome doesn't work as a localapp without also setting
NFS_HOME on our Lucid system.

Old 09-08-2010, 02:42 AM
Stéphane Graber

On Tue, 2010-09-07 at 08:20 -0700, Richard Doyle wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-09-07 at 08:52 -0400, Jonathan Carter (highvoltage) wrote:
> > Hi Nick
> >
> > On 07/09/2010 00:25, Nick Fenger wrote:
> > > I'm wondering if anyone has google chrome working as a local app? If so,
> > > what configuration worked? NFS instead of NBD? Chrome works much better
> > > with google docs so I would like to get it going.
> >
> > Adding this to lts.conf should do the trick:
> >
> > SSH_FOLLOW_SYMLINKS=False
>
> Not sure why, but Chrome doesn't work as a localapp without also setting
> NFS_HOME on our Lucid system.
>

> > -Jonathan

Hello,

With the one included in Lucid there's a small issue as it tries to
create a socket on sshfs which isn't supported by that filesystem.

An ugly workaround is something like this (to run in your home directory
on your thin client):
mv ~/.config/chromium ~/.config/chromium.orig
mkdir /tmp/.config-chromium
ln -sf /tmp/.config-chromium ~/.config/chromium
ln -sf ~/.config/chromium.orig/Default /tmp/.config-chromium/Default

That's hackish but usually works fine, it basically creates a new
directory in /tmp, then make chromium's configuration directory point to
that so that it writes to tmpfs instead of sshfs then symlink the actual
configuration directory back to the original configuration.
That way the socket is created in /tmp and the rest of your
configuration remains in your home directory.

Alternatively, Jonathan suggested (in real-life ) that he might have
been using a PPA for his chromium last time he tried, so maybe the PPA
builds of chromium work fine with just ssh_follow_symlinks disabled (you
need that in all cases).

Hope it helps

--
Stéphane Graber
Ubuntu developer

Old 09-10-2010, 01:12 AM
Nick Fenger

Sure enough! Chrome runs as a local app perfectly with this:

nick@ltsp87:~$ chromium-browser --user-data-dir=/tmp

This does not work:

nick@ltsp87:~$ chromium-browser --user-data-dir=/home/nick
[3629:3629:1639260269:ERROR:chrome/browser/process_singleton_linux.cc(780)] Failed to bind() /home/nick/SingletonSocket: Operation not permitted

[3629:3629:1639260356:ERROR:chrome/browser/browser_main.cc(997)] Failed to create a ProcessSingleton for your profile directory. This means that running multiple instances would start multiple browser processes rather than opening a new window in the existing process. Aborting now to avoid profile corruption.

n.

I will try Stéphane's "ugly workaround" tomorrow.

Thanks,

-Nick

Old 09-10-2010, 01:23 AM
Nick Fenger

Looks like*Stéphane's*"ugly workaround" is*Google's*recommended*resolution:
http://codereview.chromium.org/2838034

The original issue report is here:

Thanks*for the code*Stéphane. Any*recommendation*as to how to implement this? Change chromium-browser.desktop or replace /usr/bin/chromium-browser*with a script, other options?*

Thanks,*

-Nick

Old 09-14-2010, 06:47 PM
Nick Fenger

Hello,
An update on this:
I*implemented*Stéphane's workaround and it appears to be working. One caveat is that chrome shows the first run prompt each time, however, chrome has a --no-first-run flag: (i.e.*chromium-browser --no-first-run ) *which takes care of this problem.

Here is my script placed in /opt/ltsp/i386/opt/run-chrome.sh
#!/bin/bashmv ~/.config/chromium ~/.config/chromium.orig

mkdir /tmp/.config-chromium
ln -sf /tmp/.config-chromium ~/.config/chromium
ln -sf ~/.config/chromium.orig/Default /tmp/.config-chromium/Default

chromium-browser --no-first-run*
$ sudo chroot /opt/ltsp/i386

then: $*chmod +x**/opt/run-chrome.shthen: $*ln -s*/opt/run-chrome.sh /bin/run-chrome

after rebuilding the image i can now run in a terminal on the client
$ ltsp-localapps run-chrome*

and I get chrome!!!
Thanks Again,
-Nick

Old 09-14-2010, 09:25 PM
Nick Fenger

Hello,

The script below seems to work for users who already have a chrome profile, however, if there is no profile I get:

nick@ltsp87:/tmp$ run-chrome
mv: cannot stat `/home/nick/.config/chromium': No such file or directory

[3231:3231:958859199:FATAL:chrome/browser/browser_main.cc(592)] Check failed: profile. Cannot get default profile.
/usr/bin/run-chrome: line 7:* 3231 Aborted**************** chromium-browser --no-first-run %U

I get the same error* when running without --no-first-run

Ideas?

Here's the current script (run-chrome.sh):

Old 09-15-2010, 05:56 PM
Nick Fenger

I believe I have resolved the issue when there is no chrome profile for a user.*
Here's the final script:
I needed to create a "template" profile in the client image /opt/tcs/chrome/profile/chromium. I simply copied a fresh profile from one of my users.*

mkdir ~/.config/chromium.origcp -R /opt/tcs/chrome/profile/chromium/* ~/.config/chromium.origchown -R $USER:$USER ~/.config/chromium.origmkdir /tmp/.config-chromium

ln -sf /tmp/.config-chromium ~/.config/chromiumln -sf ~/.config/chromium.orig/Default /tmp/.config-chromium/Defaultchromium-browser
I assume my "template" profile will need to be updated when chrome gets updated but I am not sure.*

Old 09-15-2010, 07:23 PM
Nick Fenger

Here's the final final script:
#!/bin/bashif [ ! -d "$HOME/.config/chromium" ]; then**# do this if profile doesn't exist**mkdir ~/.config/chromium.orig*

**cp -R /opt/tcs/chrome/profile/chromium/* ~/.config/chromium.orig**chown -R $USER:$USER ~/.config/chromium.origelse**mv ~/.config/chromium ~/.config/chromium.origfi

mkdir /tmp/.config-chromiumln -sf /tmp/.config-chromium ~/.config/chromiumln -sf ~/.config/chromium.orig/Default /tmp/.config-chromium/Defaultchromium-browser*
...where*/opt/tcs/chrome/profile/chromium/ is the location of the template profile