Old 01-20-2008, 01:58 PM
"Barb Tabor"

Default locking down the desktop

I am having trouble finding out to prevent
students from saving to the desktop (using Gutsy).
Any suggestions?

Old 01-20-2008, 02:26 PM
Gavin McCullagh

Hi,

On Sun, 20 Jan 2008, Barb Tabor wrote:

> I am having trouble finding out to prevent students from saving to the
> desktop (using Gutsy). Any suggestions?

It's a slightly strange request -- to not allow them write information to
a folder in their own home directory. Have you given users their own
accounts, or is it one shared account?

I guess you can probably do it by removing write permissions on the
directory:
chmod a-w ~<username>/Desktop/

This is something they could undo, but I'm guessing you're just trying to
keep things tidy. If it's a security issue (?)

The main program which will write to the desktop is probably firefox, so
you can reconfigure firefox to not save to the desktop -- that might be all
you need.

Gavin

Old 01-21-2008, 01:25 PM
btabor

Students can save to their individual network folders if they need to save
something.
They are cluttering their desktops with "stuff" that they do not need at
school (non educational).
I'm wandering if a deep-freeze type script would be the best way to go.
Any thoughts?

Old 01-21-2008, 01:31 PM
Gavin McCullagh

Hi,

On Mon, 21 Jan 2008, btabor wrote:

> Students can save to their individual network folders if they need to save
> something.

Do they have accounts though, ie is this the user's own Desktop folder or
are they logged in as some sort of guest account?

> They are cluttering their desktops with "stuff" that they do not need at
> school (non educational).

Do you make sure they wipe themselves properly too?

You could just make the Desktop/ folder read-only and point firefox at some
other directory (eg /tmp) for downloads. This is stuff they can undo, but
it sounds like they probably just need steering away from the desktop.
It's difficult to make items in someone's home directory uneditable as they
own the parent directory so they can always take ownership effectively if
they know what they're doing.

> I'm wandering if a deep-freeze type script would be the best way to go.
> Any thoughts?

I've no idea what that means. You could just have a nightly script that
moves all files off the desktop into /tmp.

Gavin

Old 01-21-2008, 01:59 PM
Ismael Farfán Estrada

« La adolescencia es el periodo de tu vida en el que piensas que la masturbación es algo transitorio. »
~ Hombre resigando.

*

> Students can save to their individual network folders if they need to save
> something.
> They are cluttering their desktops with "stuff" that they do not need at
> school (non educational).
> I'm wandering if a deep-freeze type script would be the best way to go.
> Any thoughts?

Hi, I'm thinking on doing the same,
I plan to change the owner of the desktop folder to root
and put it to read only

chown root /home/*/Desktop
chmod 111 /home/*/Desktop
(111 readonly?)

> This is something they could undo, but I'm guessing you're just trying to
> keep things tidy. If it's a security issue (?)

If root is the owner, they can't "undo" anything

cheers

¡Gana X Box, juegos y demás premios con sólo un video! ¡Sube el tuyo aquí!

Old 01-21-2008, 02:07 PM
Gavin McCullagh

Hi,

On Mon, 21 Jan 2008, Ismael Farfán Estrada wrote:

> Hi, I'm thinking on doing the same,
> I plan to change the owner of the desktop folder to root
> and put it to read only
>
> chown root /home/*/Desktop
> chmod 111 /home/*/Desktop
> (111 readonly?)

111 is execute only. 444 is read-only. You'll want 555 (r-x) though so
the user can traverse the directory and read it.

> > This is something they could undo, but I'm guessing you're just trying to
> > keep things tidy. If it's a security issue (?)
>
> If root is the owner, they can't "undo" anything

If ~user/Desktop is owned by root and ~user is owned by user, user can
delete the Desktop folder and recreate it with their own ownership.
This is because user has ownership of the parent directory.

gavin@chris:~ $ sudo mkdir tmp1
gavin@chris:~ $ ls -la tmp1/
total 8
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2008-01-21 15:12 .
drwxr-xr-x 55 gavin gavin 4096 2008-01-21 15:12 ..
gavin@chris:~ $ rmdir tmp1
gavin@chris:~ $ ls -la tmp1/
ls: tmp1/: No such file or directory

You could make the home directory owned by root, but that would probably
break a host of other things.

Gavin

Old 01-21-2008, 03:01 PM
btabor

All students log in the same (see the same desktop).
Then they can navigate to their network folders.
Obviously, from your "do you make sure they wipe themselves properly"
comment, you
do not understand the importance of not letting hundreds of teenagers save
whatever they
want to their school desktops. I am very new to Linux and trying to learn as
I go. I thought
signing up for this listserve would be helpful, but if you are just going to
poke fun......I am thinking
that this might not have been a good idea. I am just trying to figure things
out and do the best
I can. The high school computers with Edubuntu on them are looking a mess
and everyone is
complaining because the kids can save to the desktops, I was just trying to
figure out a way to
solve a problem that others have asked me to solve. If you feel the need to
make insensitive comments, then I guess I am looking in the wrong place for
answers.

Old 01-21-2008, 03:23 PM
Bill Moseley

On Sun, Jan 20, 2008 at 09:58:57AM -0500, Barb Tabor wrote:
> I am having trouble finding out to prevent students from saving to
> the desktop (using Gutsy). Any suggestions?

If you don't want a desktop maybe run a window manager that doesn't
support a "desktop". I use IceWM often for a simple window manager
without a desktop.

--
Bill Moseley
moseley@hank.org

Old 01-21-2008, 03:29 PM
Oliver Grawert

hi,
On So, 2008-01-20 at 09:58 -0500, Barb Tabor wrote:
> I am having trouble finding out to prevent students from saving to the
> desktop (using Gutsy).
> Any suggestions?
the simple answer is: you cant ....

but what you can do is:

sudo gconf-editor
go to: /apps/nautilus/preferences/show_desktop
uncheck it, right click on it, make it mandatory and default through the
context menu so it applies globally ....

that will disable the drawing of the desktop completely ...

then make sure firefox downloads to somewhere else like /tmp and you are
done

ciao
oli

Old 01-21-2008, 03:46 PM
"Jim Hutchinson"

On Jan 21, 2008 9:01 AM, btabor <btabor@btownccs.k12.in.us> wrote:

> All students log in the same (see the same desktop).
> Then they can navigate to their network folders.

I'm somewhat new to Linux too, but I have a thin client set up at my
school running edubuntu. I'm wondering if having everyone use the same
login is a good idea. It seems like things would get rather squirrelly
after a while. If they have network folders, do they also have network
logins? Our students have accounts via Active Directory and we were
able to get those logins to work in the lab. Perhaps a similar
solution would work for you too. You could also set up accounts for
each student. A simple script could be used to make accounts like
user001, user002 and so on. Not the best solution but maybe better
than everyone using the same login. I actually have a script someone
wrote for me for this exact purpose. I'm pretty sure he wouldn't mind
me sharing it.

-jim