Old 01-19-2008, 09:52 PM
"Robert Arkiletian"

Default Ubuntu 7.10 Desktop Course

If any teachers are interested in offering a mini course on Ubuntu
here is a wonderful resource, especially since there are student and
instructor versions. There are pdf links too.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Training

BTW, I have found the easiest way (least resistance) for my students
to try Linux at home is to download and install Virtualbox
(http://virtualbox.org/) into XP. Then download a Linux iso like
Ubuntu and virtually stick the iso file into the virtual cdrom drive
and away they go. Only catch is they really need more than 512MB on
their home system.

Many students come back the next period with a big smile surprised how
easy it was to do. They also think it's pretty cool how they can run
two OS's at the same time. Most have never tried out virtualization
before. It's a really enlightening experience for them. The training
books Ubuntu offers fits perfectly into this experience.

--
Robert Arkiletian

Old 01-20-2008, 01:53 AM
"Todd O'Bryan"

Thanks for mentioning this. One of my students just mentioned Virtualbox as an easy way to get Linux running. I have my students all install Linux in my Special Topics in Computer Science class because setting up Windows to be a productive programming environment is fraught with gotchas.

The one gotcha with Linux is drivers and, apparently, Virtualbox does a really good job of solving that little problem.

Todd (who's actually a Mac guy when he's not using Linux)

(
http://virtualbox.org/) into XP. Then download a Linux iso like
Ubuntu and virtually stick the iso file into the virtual cdrom drive
and away they go. Only catch is they really need more than 512MB on
their home system.

Many students come back the next period with a big smile surprised how
easy it was to do. They also think it's pretty cool how they can run
two OS's at the same time. Most have never tried out virtualization

before. It's a really enlightening experience for them. The training
books Ubuntu offers fits perfectly into this experience.

--
Robert Arkiletian

C++ GUI tutorial
http://www3.telus.net/public/robark/