FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Edubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 08-27-2010, 03:03 PM
Nicolas Roussi
 
Default 10.04 upgrade from 8.04 firefox issues and other user settings

Hi all,
I have recently upgraded to 10.04 but now all my users have issues and I wanted to reset all their preferences. Do you recommend this command:
sudo rm -rf /home/*/.gnome /home/*/.gnome2 /home/*/.gconf /home/*/.gconfd /home/*/.metacity


Also, I know that this will not reset any firefox issues that I have. Firefox crashes every time a website uses flash. I installed chromium but all the users are used to just clicking the Firefox icon on the panel. Is there a way that from the shell I can remove the Firefox icon from the panel and add Chromium?


Thanks.
--
Nicolas Roussi

--
edubuntu-users mailing list
edubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/edubuntu-users
 
Old 08-27-2010, 07:11 PM
Charl Wentzel
 
Default 10.04 upgrade from 8.04 firefox issues and other user settings

On Fri, 2010-08-27 at 11:03 -0400, Nicolas Roussi wrote:
> I have recently upgraded to 10.04 but now all my users have issues and
> I wanted to reset all their preferences. Do you recommend this
> command:
> sudo rm
> -rf /home/*/.gnome /home/*/.gnome2 /home/*/.gconf /home/*/.gconfd /home/*/.metacity

This has worked for me in the past. These directories should be
recreated automatically. If you want to be safe I would suggest backup
the directories first.

I'm not sure if the command will work with /home/*/.xxx, I've never
tried using a wildcard like that. The following script will definitely
work:

for dir in $(ls /home); do
if [ -d /home/$dir ]; then
echo "*** $dir ***";
for subdir in .gnome .gnome2 .gconf .gconfd .metacity; do
mv /home/$dir/$subdir /home/$dir/$subdir.bak;
rm -rf /home/$dir/$subdir;
done;
fi;
done;

Just copy it to terminal.

> Also, I know that this will not reset any firefox issues that I have.
> Firefox crashes every time a website uses flash. I installed chromium
> but all the users are used to just clicking the Firefox icon on the
> panel. Is there a way that from the shell I can remove the Firefox
> icon from the panel and add Chromium?

Sorry, haven't had to do this on many machines at once. I only know how
to do it from the desktop.

Regards
Charl


--
edubuntu-users mailing list
edubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/edubuntu-users
 
Old 08-27-2010, 07:47 PM
"Rippl, Steve"
 
Default 10.04 upgrade from 8.04 firefox issues and other user settings

On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 8:03 AM, Nicolas Roussi <nroussi@gmail.com> wrote:

Is there a way that from the shell I can remove the Firefox icon from the panel and add Chromium?



Have you looked at the sabayon package? *Works very well now thanks to the work of Scott Balneaves...

*--
Steve Rippl
Technology Director

Woodland Public Schools
360 841 2735

--
edubuntu-users mailing list
edubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/edubuntu-users
 
Old 08-27-2010, 08:42 PM
Nicolas Roussi
 
Default 10.04 upgrade from 8.04 firefox issues and other user settings

Charl and Steve thanks for the suggestions.

I have tried sabayon on 7.04 and it broke my installation so from that day I kind of decided to stay away from it. Will it work with my LDAP users?



On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 3:47 PM, Rippl, Steve <rippls@woodlandschools.org> wrote:

On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 8:03 AM, Nicolas Roussi <nroussi@gmail.com> wrote:


Is there a way that from the shell I can remove the Firefox icon from the panel and add Chromium?



Have you looked at the sabayon package? *Works very well now thanks to the work of Scott Balneaves...

*--
Steve Rippl

Technology Director

Woodland Public Schools
360 841 2735



--
Nicolas Roussi

--
edubuntu-users mailing list
edubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/edubuntu-users
 
Old 08-27-2010, 08:49 PM
"Rippl, Steve"
 
Default 10.04 upgrade from 8.04 firefox issues and other user settings

Early version were very flaky. *We have our users in Active Directory (which is a version of LDAP), we apply the same profile to everyone so we're not doing anything fancy with lots of groups, but it's been solid for us now.

I would recommend setting up a test server and trying anything new out there before you touch your production server(s) though, for any kind of major change...




On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 1:42 PM, Nicolas Roussi <nroussi@gmail.com> wrote:

Charl and Steve thanks for the suggestions.

I have tried sabayon on 7.04 and it broke my installation so from that day I kind of decided to stay away from it. Will it work with my LDAP users?




On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 3:47 PM, Rippl, Steve <rippls@woodlandschools.org> wrote:


On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 8:03 AM, Nicolas Roussi <nroussi@gmail.com> wrote:


Is there a way that from the shell I can remove the Firefox icon from the panel and add Chromium?



Have you looked at the sabayon package? *Works very well now thanks to the work of Scott Balneaves...

*--
Steve Rippl


Technology Director

Woodland Public Schools
360 841 2735



--
Nicolas Roussi



--
Steve Rippl
Technology Director
Woodland Public Schools
360 841 2735


--
edubuntu-users mailing list
edubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/edubuntu-users
 
Old 08-29-2010, 01:16 AM
David Groos
 
Default 10.04 upgrade from 8.04 firefox issues and other user settings

This is good to hear, Steve, as I'm going to be using (hopefully) LDAP authentication to the districts AD server this year and hope that Sabayon will work. *Do you have any advice or know of accurate wiki pages for lucid or products on how to set it up or things to stay away from? *I won't be doing this set-up, our district internet person will be doing it and while he has some experience with RedHat (and manages the AD server), I don't know how much.
Thanks,David
On Aug 27, 2010, at 3:49 PM, Rippl, Steve wrote:Early version were very flaky. *We have our users in Active Directory (which is a version of LDAP), we apply the same profile to everyone so we're not doing anything fancy with lots of groups, but it's been solid for us now.
I would recommend setting up a test server and trying anything new out there before you touch your production server(s) though, for any kind of major change...



On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 1:42 PM, Nicolas Roussi <nroussi@gmail.com> wrote:
Charl and Steve thanks for the suggestions.

I have tried sabayon on 7.04 and it broke my installation so from that day I kind of decided to stay away from it. Will it work with my LDAP users?


On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 3:47 PM, Rippl, Steve <rippls@woodlandschools.org> wrote:
On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 8:03 AM, Nicolas Roussi <nroussi@gmail.com> wrote:
Is there a way that from the shell I can remove the Firefox icon from the panel and add Chromium?


Have you looked at the sabayon package? *Works very well now thanks to the work of Scott Balneaves...

*--
Steve Rippl
Technology Director
Woodland Public Schools
360 841 2735


--
Nicolas Roussi


--
Steve Rippl
Technology Director
Woodland Public Schools
360 841 2735
--*edubuntu-users mailing listedubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.comModify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/edubuntu-users
--
edubuntu-users mailing list
edubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/edubuntu-users
 
Old 08-30-2010, 06:06 PM
"Rippl, Steve"
 
Default 10.04 upgrade from 8.04 firefox issues and other user settings

On Sat, Aug 28, 2010 at 6:16 PM, David Groos <djgroos@gmail.com> wrote:


This is good to hear, Steve, as I'm going to be using (hopefully) LDAP authentication to the districts AD server this year and hope that Sabayon will work. *Do you have any advice or know of accurate wiki pages for lucid or products on how to set it up or things to stay away from? *I won't be doing this set-up, our district internet person will be doing it and while he has some experience with RedHat (and manages the AD server), I don't know how much.


I'm afraid we don't have any writeup on it, it works as advertised and we then push out the profiles it creates through puppet. **

--
Steve Rippl
Technology Director
Woodland Public Schools
360 841 2735

--
edubuntu-users mailing list
edubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/edubuntu-users
 
Old 08-31-2010, 02:09 AM
David Groos
 
Default 10.04 upgrade from 8.04 firefox issues and other user settings

Steve,

'as advertised', nice!* You are using samba do I understand to authenticate to an AD server?* You're saying that the basic how to pages for the product do the trick?

David


On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 1:06 PM, Rippl, Steve <rippls@woodlandschools.org> wrote:

On Sat, Aug 28, 2010 at 6:16 PM, David Groos <djgroos@gmail.com> wrote:



This is good to hear, Steve, as I'm going to be using (hopefully) LDAP authentication to the districts AD server this year and hope that Sabayon will work. *Do you have any advice or know of accurate wiki pages for lucid or products on how to set it up or things to stay away from? *I won't be doing this set-up, our district internet person will be doing it and while he has some experience with RedHat (and manages the AD server), I don't know how much.



I'm afraid we don't have any writeup on it, it works as advertised and we then push out the profiles it creates through puppet. **


--
Steve Rippl
Technology Director
Woodland Public Schools
360 841 2735



--
edubuntu-users mailing list
edubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/edubuntu-users
 
Old 09-03-2010, 05:15 PM
Nick Fenger
 
Default 10.04 upgrade from 8.04 firefox issues and other user settings

Nicolas,
I am also having firefox and chrome crashes on 10.04 (fatclent image). In chrome, the flash plugin crashes often as well. I removed all of my user's hidden files and this did not correct the problem. I am noticing that swap goes to 100% and does not drop when I close programs. Only a reboot of the client seems to reset the swap fully.


-Nick

On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 8:03 AM, Nicolas Roussi <nroussi@gmail.com> wrote:


Hi all,
I have recently upgraded to 10.04 but now all my users have issues and I wanted to reset all their preferences. Do you recommend this command:
sudo rm -rf /home/*/.gnome /home/*/.gnome2 /home/*/.gconf /home/*/.gconfd /home/*/.metacity




Also, I know that this will not reset any firefox issues that I have. Firefox crashes every time a website uses flash. I installed chromium but all the users are used to just clicking the Firefox icon on the panel. Is there a way that from the shell I can remove the Firefox icon from the panel and add Chromium?




Thanks.
--
Nicolas Roussi


--

edubuntu-users mailing list

edubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com

Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/edubuntu-users




--
Nick Fenger
-Information Technology

Trillium Charter School
5420 N. Interstate Ave
Portland, OR 97217
(503) 285-3833
http://www.trilliumcharterschool.org







--
edubuntu-users mailing list
edubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/edubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 03:00 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org