Old 01-19-2008, 02:11 PM
"Reiner Schmid"

Default AW: ubuntu LTSP move done ... testers wanted

Hi, Oli
> On Sa, 2008-01-19 at 13:03 +0100, Reiner Schmid wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > ....part 2 of testing http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/daily/20080118/....
> >
> > When I started my 2 test clients (Siemens Scovery XS) at the same time
> only one passed through to ldm screen. The other stopped after ~20 seconds
> with a blinking -. This behaviour could reproduced.
> > The same effect in my classroom with 8 Gutsy-clients.
> that sounds rather like a switch configuration problem, is it always the
> same client that shows this behavior ? does it switch over to the other
> if you flip the cables on the switch ports ? and is the switch
> manageable ?

At home now I changed to another switch device, also I changed the network cables of the clients. But sometimes on booting I could watch the same behaviour that only one of my both clients booted through.
At school we used two toogle switches for each 4 clients/monitors. In the last month there were some clients (1-3) stopping boot process. I will watch it closely in future ......

> > Monitor resolution: The 19"-Monitor (iiyama) works only with 800x600,
> the other monitor (Highscreen 15") works fine (1024x768).
> > No problem with Gutsy!
> hmm, thats intresting, there were no changes in the configuration
> scripts for X between gutsy and hardy (yet), that must be an X problem.
> does it also do this if you create an lts.conf and add CONFIGURE_X=False
> to it (that will start with us keyboard, careful ) ?
> if it still behaves like that without any X configuration then thats a
> bug in the X server

Sorry my fault the 19" has two monitor outputs. I used the BNC cable :-(
But now with VGA cable it is ok.

> > USB-Stick prob: I noticed problems with different users/clients. Could
> it be that every individual USB-Stick is dedicated to a fixed user?
> > I had connected my sticks to user test11 in the beginning, now no other
> user can activate or see them???
> >
> a USB key is only associated to the currently logged in user on one
> terminal, no other user has access to it for security reasons. it will
> only show up on his/her local desktop.

No, I try to describe it again in a short form.
A=USB-Stick1, B=USB-Stick2

test11 (comment: was the only one created by users adminstration tool)
logged in client1 and client2 at the same time.
A connected to client1, B connected to client2.
There both are activated you can see them at the desktops

test22 (comment: He and his home directory were created manually by adduser-command because bug in users adminstration tool)
logged in client2, test11 in client1. A in client1, B in client2
Only A is seen on Desktop1, no B on Desktop??

reiner (comment:admin created by installing hardy, logged out of the terminalserver)
logged in client2, test11 in client1. A in client1, B in client2
Only A is seen on Desktop1, no B on Desktop?

Any idea(s)?

reiner

What can I test, too?

Old 01-19-2008, 04:07 PM
"Reiner Schmid"

Hi, Oli

> > USB-Stick prob: I noticed problems with different users/clients. Could
> it be that every individual USB-Stick is dedicated to a fixed user?
> > I had connected my sticks to user test11 in the beginning, now no other
> user can activate or see them???
> >
> a USB key is only associated to the currently logged in user on one
> terminal, no other user has access to it for security reasons. it will
> only show up on his/her local desktop.

After a small walk and some oxygen I thought about that users had to be in different groups to work with devices.
The bug of the Users Administration tool forced me to add a new (second) user by the command useradd. But of course the memberships of group must be registered too.

So after I had opened /etc/group I discovered that the new (second) user was nowhere in groups.
After I edited groups I was able to work with local usb device at the two clients with different users.

Reiner

Old 01-20-2008, 09:03 AM
Oliver Grawert

hi,
On Sa, 2008-01-19 at 18:07 +0100, Reiner Schmid wrote:
> After a small walk and some oxygen I thought about that users had to be in different groups to work with devices.
> The bug of the Users Administration tool forced me to add a new (second) user by the command useradd. But of course the memberships of group must be registered too.

never use useradd, its a backend tool that should only be used by
frontends ... if you want to add users via commandline you should use
adduser which has preconfigured defaults for its internal usaeradd call
(and adds the user to the ddefault ubuntu groups)

> So after I had opened /etc/group I discovered that the new (second) user was nowhere in groups.
> After I edited groups I was able to work with local usb device at the two clients with different users.
right, the users that should have access to ltspfs devices need to be in
the fuse group. (here you should as well use adduser, it makes no typos
while adding stuff to /etc/group or passwd )

ciao
oli