Old 08-19-2010, 01:57 PM
Charl Wentzel

Default Acer Netbooks + Edubuntu

Hi Guys

My company is trying to negotiate a deal with the importers of Acer
laptops (in South Africa) to supply Acer Aspire One netbooks with the
following specs:

Atom 1.6GHz
8GB Flash HD
10" LCD
1GB RAM
SD card expansion slot (like additional harddrive)
3 USB ports
Built-in WiFi
Full hardware guarantee from supplier (no grey imports)

These are perfect for running Edubuntu 10.04 with the netbook interface.
I'm using the same netbook with only 512MB RAM and it boots in less than
a minute and works well.

We want to supply them to schools/communities/parents/etc for around
R2,500 with Edubuntu pre-loaded. (This is the target, it might be more,
but we'll try to keep it well below R3,000)

I would like to get a feel whether anybody would be interested? It is
early stages and I need some indication of interest as part of the
negotiation.

(This is South Africa only for now, may expand to Southern Africa later)

Please let me know if you think you have a project that would be
interested and how many units might be involved.

Best regards
Charl Wentzel

Old 08-19-2010, 06:35 PM
"Jonathan Carter (highvoltage)"

Hi Charl

On 19/08/2010 09:57, Charl Wentzel wrote:
> I would like to get a feel whether anybody would be interested? It is
> early stages and I need some indication of interest as part of the
> negotiation.
>
> (This is South Africa only for now, may expand to Southern Africa later)
>
> Please let me know if you think you have a project that would be
> interested and how many units might be involved.

I was wondering just yesterday whether we should put up a kind of
marketplace on the new Edubuntu website we're planning. We'll probably
have to run it by Canonical first, but I think it would be great if we
listed all the places where people could buy pre-loaded Edubuntu
hardware and also commercial Edubuntu support.

I'll let you know if we set this up and check if you'd like your details
added.

-Jonathan

Old 08-23-2010, 10:15 AM
"Lenin"

Looks promising.

We (Seven Oaks) just started an opensource project in Khayelithsa (around 2
schools ; pre-primary and primary) to assist with the building of early
learning skills in the foundation phase ( using edubuntu & other opensource
software). Some aspects of the project: write materials if not available;
broadly aligning activities with the South African schools curriculum;
translations in Afrikaans, Xhosa, etc. where required; customization and so
forth.

We have to set up the lab in one of the primary school classrooms. For cost
considerations we most probably will have to go for a thin client setup, but
I do agree (the admin people at school also) that portable solutions are
better and we need to look at it.

Also we are starting to have presentations around opensource educational
solutions with creches and pre-schools. Obvoiusly, I cannot speak here of
units involved since we are just embarking on this journey, but I am very
interested in a project to get reasonably priced notebooks.

Regards
Lionel

Old 08-23-2010, 11:03 AM
Charl Wentzel

On Mon, 2010-08-23 at 12:15 +0200, Lenin wrote:
> Looks promising.
>
> We have to set up the lab in one of the primary school classrooms. For cost
> considerations we most probably will have to go for a thin client setup, but
> I do agree (the admin people at school also) that portable solutions are
> better and we need to look at it.

Hi Lionel

We've been working with small a device called an eBox (not related to
the eBox Platform software). The specs on these units are:

1 GHz processor (non-Intel)
512MB RAM
built-in sound card
1 x VGA port
1 x PS/2 port (keyboard or mouse)
3 x USB ports
1 x 10/100 Ethernet port
1 x Compact flash slot
1 x SD card slot
1 x mic socket
1 x earphone socket

I have been using these devices with Xubuntu and Ubuntu Server Edition
installed on an SD card. They work nicely.

However, I does take some work to get Ubuntu installed, you can't
install directly. Since it requires a special kernel it may take some
work to get it working with LTSP as well.

The devices you need start at around R1,600. You can add an LCD +
keyboard + mouse to it for about R900-R1000. So the total cost of the
thin client is in the same ballpark as the Netbooks we are trying to
get.

If you interested in going this route let me know. I've been planning
to use these guys for the same purpose (i.e. Edubuntu LTSP). Maybe we
could work together.

There are still some negotiations to do before we could get the netbooks
and I have no timelines. But with the eBox option we could start
straigh away.

Contact me off-list if you want to talk details.

Regards
Charl

Old 10-21-2010, 04:38 PM
David Van Assche

The acer laptops have been shown to work exceptionally well under LTSP
(especially Ubuntu, Debian and OpenSuse. There are various howtos on
the Internet that describe how to get this working withotu too many
glitches and I believe the latest releases of these OSes have fixed
almost ll bugs. The next step would be to have a semi-fat client that
connects to the shcool centralisation, while taking advantage of the
LTS P centralisation and monitoring capabilities. Sort of the bost of
both worlds. The idea is to let user tha comes in from home to synch
with the school server, while loading LTSP, and then running the
majority of its services (those that benefit from running on the
server) directly from there. This could be sensitive data that
shouldn't be copied, or jsut simply syncing Moodle and other services
in use that can synchronise when it finds another copy of the program
in question running on the computer. In a school-university or even
much more serious settings liike contractual work for CIA, MIT, FBI,
etc, the guarding of data is paramount. When the computer leaves the
scene (primary or uni) the systems synch up, leaving the local users
with his latest files (via a possible restart of laptop, and the
server with the last known working image. Then, upon entering, the
ltsp env. it synchs up files and services, as well as newly installed
programs (though the sysadmin may only allow this from the server..)
Using GPS, as soon as the connection is severed (wireless) we give the
local system back in use tot he client, and vice versa.

This last integration into LTSP mayb not have been done yet, but I
think it is absolutely the way forward.... Thin/fat client environment
the offices, especially those static systems. fat clients/laptops for
use by children say 13-, as older kids are actually still use to
normal computers., they can actaullyn understand the difference
between running a thin terminal or that.

kind regards,
David Van Assche