Old 08-20-2010, 12:20 PM
David Hopkins

Default lucid unown user id LTSP user cant loggin

I am using ubuntu 9.10 (karmic). I held off upgrading because of some
concerns with moving to 10 immediately, including some issues with
ldap e.g. https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/sudo/+bug/423252.
I plan to update production servers to 10 over the Christmas holidays
after getting a test server fully operational at 10. With school
opening next week, I won't have that done till mid-Sept.

I know that when I first tried to get ldap working with 9.10, it
didn't ... I had to use purge to completely remove the packages and
then load them a second time.

I found the following brief discussion of DRI and how to disable it:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ltsp/+bug/558726

Sincerely,
Dave Hopkins

Old 08-20-2010, 12:20 PM
David Hopkins

Old 08-20-2010, 12:20 PM
David Hopkins

Old 08-20-2010, 12:20 PM
David Hopkins

Old 08-21-2010, 04:55 AM
Michael Rickmann

Hi,
I had seemingly the same issue one week ago, when upgrading an LTSP
server from Hardy to Lucid. This server has to query a different machine
via ldaps:// when a user wishes to log in. During update I kept the old
/etc/pam.d files.
I managed to work around the issue by installing the Name Service Cache
Daemon nscd on the LTSP server. It had helped me on some fat clients before.
Michael

Old 08-21-2010, 07:21 PM
"Todd O'Bryan"

I've been trying to set up LDAP in my lab and it's a huge mess. There
are several currently open LDAP bugs on Ubuntu and the fact that the
default install doesn't include a way to create a database except
completely manually is a huge pain.

If I get everything up and working and reasonably well scripted, I'll
post a link. (A former student who worked as a sysadmin at her college
has been a huge amount of help as I've worked through this, but I
think this is completely beyond the capabilities of most teachers
without a great deal of technical training. I teach computer science
and consider myself a competent programmer and I've almost given up in
frustration more than once.)

Todd

Old 08-22-2010, 02:08 PM
Mattias Hemmingsson

Hi
So the problem is in ubuntu 10.04 pam ?

Is the 10.04 working for you with pam config files from 8.04?
Do you whant to share your config files ?
Did you installed nscd on the ltsp servers ?

Todd if you whant i nice whay to use ldap in ubuntu.
Give ebox an trie i use it all the time its great.

// Matte

Old 08-26-2010, 07:14 AM
Mattias Hemmingsson

Find the sulutions.

So now everthing is working with ubuntu 10.04 and my ebox ldap server.
I follows this link
http://beginlinux.com/server_training/server-managment-topics/1017-ldap-client-on-ubuntu-804

Cleand out the pam.d files and ONLY put the lines that are used in the how to.
And now it works :-)

Regards Mattias

Old 09-15-2010, 02:52 AM
David Groos

I've been perusing all the threads I could find about LDAP and AD authentication.* I've seen Scott's tutorial mentioned more than once (and thanks David H for sharing how you filled in the 'client install section'--extra examples help).* I'm a teacher and not a techer, and when I look at Scotts instruction well, you can imagine how I feel.

The following is what I'm trying to do.* I just have a couple of admin and test users on my Lucid LTSP server at this time.* What I want to happen is that a student, who doesn't yet have an account on my server BUT has one with the district, be able to:

walk up to a thin client, sit down and upon entering her district username and password, authenticate against the districts Active Directory server.I want that to create an account and home folder (as a desktop user) for the user on my Lucid server.
Thereafter, whenever the student logs in on the thin client, they are authenticated against the district AD server and have access to their Lucid home folder.* I think this is possible, right?Question: Would I then manage my users with the standard 'Users and Groups' application that's in the 'Administration' menu, or would I use something else to administer the users?

If a few people have had good luck with Scott's page on Lucid, I'll bring that page to the people in the know at our district and ask for some help following the instructions on that page.

I think using some setup like this is probably a basic need for Edubuntu/LTSP setups in large urban districts.* Thanks for your help,

David G