FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Edubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 08-18-2010, 07:36 AM
Charl Wentzel
 
Default Netbook interface

Hi Guys

Just joined the list, so my apologies if someone else asked this
question before...

I just installed Edubuntu on my Netbook for two reasons:
- for my own kids
- to demonstrate to Horison Laerskool (an ongoing personal project)

The installer shows a very nice netbook interface and the site says that
you can install it afterwards but I can't find any instructions on which
package to install to get that nice interface.

Are there any documentation explaining what to do?

(The googling I've done show nothing in this regards for Edubuntu.
Maybe you should consider adding something to your site.)

Regards
Charl


--
edubuntu-users mailing list
edubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/edubuntu-users
 
Old 08-18-2010, 09:38 AM
Theo Schmidt
 
Default Netbook interface

Charl Wentzel wrote:
...
> The installer shows a very nice netbook interface and the site says that
> you can install it afterwards but I can't find any instructions on which
> package to install to get that nice interface.

If you can't find the name, you could do it the other way around: install the
Ubuntu Netbook Remix and from within this the "edubuntu-desktop" metapackage or
the edubuntu packages you need.

Theo Schmidt

--
edubuntu-users mailing list
edubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/edubuntu-users
 
Old 08-18-2010, 02:24 PM
"Jonathan Carter (highvoltage)"
 
Default Netbook interface

On 18/08/2010 05:38, Theo Schmidt wrote:
> Charl Wentzel wrote:
> ...
> > The installer shows a very nice netbook interface and the site says that
> > you can install it afterwards but I can't find any instructions on which
> > package to install to get that nice interface.
>
> If you can't find the name, you could do it the other way around: install the
> Ubuntu Netbook Remix and from within this the "edubuntu-desktop" metapackage or
> the edubuntu packages you need.

Yep! Or you could install the ubuntu-netbook package from within Edubuntu.

If you're installing on a fresh system, you could also double-click on
the "Install Netbook Interface" on the desktop in the live cd after the
installer has finished (you'll need to click on 'continue testing'
instead of 'reboot now').

We've started to make it a lot nicer for the next release, but time is
running short so we might have to end up deferring it to the next
release. When it's done, you'll be able to install options like the
netbook interface from within the installer which will be a lot more
intuitive!

-Jonathan

--
edubuntu-users mailing list
edubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/edubuntu-users
 
Old 08-18-2010, 02:46 PM
"R. Scott Belford"
 
Default Netbook interface

On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 10:24 AM, Jonathan Carter (highvoltage) <jonathan@ubuntu.com> wrote:


On 18/08/2010 05:38, Theo Schmidt wrote:

> Charl Wentzel wrote:

> ...

> *> The installer shows a very nice netbook interface and the site says that

> *> you can install it afterwards but I can't find any instructions on which

> *> package to install to get that nice interface.

>

> If you can't find the name, you could do it the other way around: install the

> Ubuntu Netbook Remix and from within this the "edubuntu-desktop" metapackage or

> the edubuntu packages you need.



Yep! Or you could install the ubuntu-netbook package from within Edubuntu.


I believe you can run 'tasksel' from the terminal and choose to install the UNR version. There are a lot of specialized installation options available from tasksel, and the UNR is one of them.


--scott*
--
edubuntu-users mailing list
edubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/edubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 03:51 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org