Old 08-09-2010, 04:51 PM
"Rippl, Steve"

Default Problems booting ltsp clients under 10.04

Hi,

We're having great difficulty getting all clients in an LTSP lab to
boot up*consistently, it appears to be related to the new nbd-proxy?
Here's the report our tech that builds the LTSP servers for us gave
me...

=====
When 2 or more switches are between client and server a failure to boot
occurs before launching LDM about %50 of the time. *The frequency of the
failure to boot is reduced by being connected to the server with only
one intermediate switch but does not go away completely. *The following
bugs seem to reference the same problem and indicate that it is
nbd-proxy that is falling down during the boot process.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ltsp/+bug/604314
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ltsp/+bug/589034

The latter of these references a patch that when applied disables the
activation of the nbd-proxy during the client setup process. *My success
rate for booting clients after applying this patch rises to about %70.
Load seems to effect this condition adversely as well as speed and
duplex transitions such as many 10/100 clients connecting to a server
attached to a gigabit port. The clients in question are Atom based and
include gigabit ethernet ports but are connected to 10/100 ports in the
classroom. *Switches being used include HP Pro-curve edge products as
well as a variety of unmanaged 10/100 5-8 port switches.
=====

We had none of these problems in 9.04.

Are any of the developers listening on this aware of this and possibly
working on it? *I have posted our experiences on Launchpad, but
there's no indication of anything happening. *School starts here in
about 4 weeks and this is bad enough that we're considering rolling
back to 9.04. *There are nice new features in 10.04 I'd like to give
folks access to, but I don't want folks to have to reboot clients
multiple times to get them to come up...

Thanks,
Steve

--
Steve Rippl
Technology Director

Old 09-03-2010, 05:06 PM
Nick Fenger

Steve,
Had very similar issues with 10.04 and they were fixed by*applying*the patch. Here were my steps:

*chroot /opt/ltsp/fati386 patch -p1 < disable-nbd-proxy.patch

*chroot /opt/ltsp/fati386 update-initramfs -u

*ltsp-update-kernels

*ltsp-update-image -b /opt/ltsp -a fati386
-Nick
[...]

-Information Technology

Trillium Charter School
5420 N. Interstate Ave