Old 08-09-2010, 04:37 PM
Jack ODonnell

Default Edubuntu and Public Health Content

I'm a volunteer and Co-ordinator of the Chicago Chapter of the World
Computer Exchange (http://www.worldcomputerexchange.org ) . We are a
503c whose primary mission is to collected used working computers,
refurbish them and send them to partners in developing countries who
have identified schools, youth centers, orphanages or libraries where
they are made available to children.

Since April of 2009 our refurbishing has included installing Ubuntu. We
are now reviewing the benefits of switching to Edubuntu. It seems like
a natural fit for our mission.

We are also seeking ways to incorporate useful resources on public
health issues for our audience in developing countries. We would package
these resources as part of our installation. Any suggestions?

Jack ODonnell
Chicago Coordinator
Regional Manager for Latin America
773 316 2944

World Computer Exchange
www.WorldComputerExchange.org Expand young minds, not landfills!
* Connecting 2,500 schools, libraries & orphanages in developing
countries to the Internet via reused donated equipment.
* 700 volunteers building capacity in 500 partner groups in 67 countries
in planning, fund raising, content & partnerships.
* Sending teams of volunteer tech professionals on their vacation time
to train & help upgrade and troubleshoot networks.
* Promoting responsible recycling of electronic waste in developing
countries.
www.WorldComputerExchange.org is a global educational & environmental
nonprofit that provides services and computers to help connect more
youth in developing countries to the resources, opportunities and
understanding of the Internet ~ while keeping working computers out of
landfills.
Our 700 volunteers provide our 450 Partner organisations in 65
developing countries with assistance in sustainable project planning,
partnership development, fund raising, shipping logistics, technology
support, digital libraries and responsible e-waste disposal ~ as well as
over 26,000 donated working used computers that have helped connect
2,500 schools, libraries, orphanages and youth centres that report use
by over a million youth per year.

Old 08-18-2010, 01:35 PM
Belinda Lopez

Hi Jack,
thanks for posting. Unfortunately education is not a big enough
focus for Ubuntu at the moment. Only grassroots movements such as yours
will help drive these efforts. Open source and Education just makes
sense and should be part of the larger world domination plans for
Ubuntu. With your help and others it can happen.

I also wanted to bring your attention to a similar group called
kidsoncomputers.org which has a similar mission as your organisation.
We are already using Edubuntu on refurbished machines and it has been
extremely successful. I'm on the Board of Directors for KOC so perhaps
we can talk sometime on joint efforts.

cheers,

Dinda
Belinda Lopez
KOC Board of Directors
Education Enthusiasts

On 08/09/2010 11:37 AM, Jack ODonnell wrote:
> I'm a volunteer and Co-ordinator of the Chicago Chapter of the World
> Computer Exchange (http://www.worldcomputerexchange.org ) . We are a
> 503c whose primary mission is to collected used working computers,
> refurbish them and send them to partners in developing countries who
> have identified schools, youth centers, orphanages or libraries where
> they are made available to children.
>
> Since April of 2009 our refurbishing has included installing Ubuntu. We
> are now reviewing the benefits of switching to Edubuntu. It seems like
> a natural fit for our mission.
>
> We are also seeking ways to incorporate useful resources on public
> health issues for our audience in developing countries. We would package
> these resources as part of our installation. Any suggestions?
>

> Jack ODonnell
> Chicago Coordinator
> Regional Manager for Latin America
> 773 316 2944
>
> World Computer Exchange
> www.WorldComputerExchange.org Expand young minds, not landfills!
> * Connecting 2,500 schools, libraries& orphanages in developing
> countries to the Internet via reused donated equipment.
> * 700 volunteers building capacity in 500 partner groups in 67 countries
> in planning, fund raising, content& partnerships.
> * Sending teams of volunteer tech professionals on their vacation time
> to train& help upgrade and troubleshoot networks.
> * Promoting responsible recycling of electronic waste in developing
> countries.
> www.WorldComputerExchange.org is a global educational& environmental
> nonprofit that provides services and computers to help connect more
> youth in developing countries to the resources, opportunities and
> understanding of the Internet ~ while keeping working computers out of
> landfills.
> Our 700 volunteers provide our 450 Partner organisations in 65
> developing countries with assistance in sustainable project planning,
> partnership development, fund raising, shipping logistics, technology
> support, digital libraries and responsible e-waste disposal ~ as well as
> over 26,000 donated working used computers that have helped connect
> 2,500 schools, libraries, orphanages and youth centres that report use
> by over a million youth per year.

IRC: dinda
Office: Galveston, Texas
--