Old 01-18-2008, 05:17 PM
"Reiner Schmid"

Default AW: ubuntu LTSP move done ... testers wanted

Hello,

I want to tell you my first impressions of testing http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/daily/20080118/

First prob: My IDE-hard disk was recognized as a SCSI hard disk (???) so the grub konfiguration was wrong at the end. (My testserver: Multiboot system with 1 IDE, 2 SATAs. I installed Hardy LTSP on IDE )

Next prob: There is no lts.conf in /var/lib/tftpboot/ltsp/i386/, so I created one. I need it because my clients work with a Intel graphic card, I had to set X_COLOR_DEPTH to 24 or 16 in lts.conf
Gutsy LTSP_VERSION was 5.0.39, what version is Hardy LTSP_VERSION?

Now I could boot my first client. Fine! Typing in the password ->there were not ******* but wrong signs/fonts!

Sound works on the client side. Fine!

Next prob: The internet connection didn`t work on the server side!
First: I tried to change the values for dhcp in gnome network manager and I unlocked it with my (admin) password. But after changing the values the message appeared:
"The configuration could not be saved / You are not allowed to modify the system configuration." ?????
So I edited the /etc/network/interfaces and restarted networking. Internet worked!

Next prob: I had sucessfully created one user (named test11) with gnome users adminstration tool. Later I wanted to create another user (named test22)for my second client. But now no success with that tool ??? After creating the new user you are not able to find him in the user list.
Is there something wrong with the new "unlock function"???

USB-Stick: I connected different USB-Sticks to the client. Two were recognized at once. Fine!

Reiner

Old 01-19-2008, 09:51 AM
Oliver Grawert

hi,
On Fr, 2008-01-18 at 19:17 +0100, Reiner Schmid wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I want to tell you my first impressions of testing http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/daily/20080118/

thanks a lot for the feedback, its really helpful

> First prob: My IDE-hard disk was recognized as a SCSI hard disk (???) so the grub konfiguration was wrong at the end. (My testserver: Multiboot system with 1 IDE, 2 SATAs. I installed Hardy LTSP on IDE )

there was an upload of grub-installer yesterday with new udev rules i
guess that might fix your problem.

> Next prob: There is no lts.conf in /var/lib/tftpboot/ltsp/i386/, so I created one. I need it because my clients work with a Intel graphic card, I had to set X_COLOR_DEPTH to 24 or 16 in lts.conf
> Gutsy LTSP_VERSION was 5.0.39, what version is Hardy LTSP_VERSION?

the X_COLOR_DEPTH issue is fixed in my local codebranch and will be
included in my next upload ...

the version thing is a leftover to make getltscfg quiet at client boot
you can safely ignore it if you use a customized lts.conf (getltscfg
complains if it finds a file but no values in it ... we discovered that
issue to late in the gutsy cycle to add a more complex fix that could
possibly have broken other things) this will be fixed before release in
getltscfg itself, so there wont be a placeholder option needed anymore.

> Now I could boot my first client. Fine! Typing in the password ->there were not ******* but wrong signs/fonts!

yes, i mentioned the font issues in my mail

> Next prob: The internet connection didn`t work on the server side!
> First: I tried to change the values for dhcp in gnome network manager and I unlocked it with my (admin) password. But after changing the values the message appeared:
> "The configuration could not be saved / You are not allowed to modify the system configuration." ?????
> So I edited the /etc/network/interfaces and restarted networking. Internet worked!
> Next prob: I had sucessfully created one user (named test11) with gnome users adminstration tool. Later I wanted to create another user (named test22)for my second client. But now no success with that tool ??? After creating the new user you are not able to find him in the user list.
> Is there something wrong with the new "unlock function"???

both are related to gnomes switch to consolekit for authentication. ldm
is lacking integration yet since we're not clear yet if the integration
shouldnt rather happen in ssh (its on the agenda for discussion with the
openssh maintainer at the distro sprint next week)

> USB-Stick: I connected different USB-Sticks to the client. Two were recognized at once. Fine!

great

thanks for the helpful report i'll report back to the list which
issues are fixed during development.

ciao
oli

Old 01-19-2008, 11:03 AM
"Reiner Schmid"

Hi

....part 2 of testing http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/daily/20080118/....

When I started my 2 test clients (Siemens Scovery XS) at the same time only one passed through to ldm screen. The other stopped after ~20 seconds with a blinking -. This behaviour could reproduced.
The same effect in my classroom with 8 Gutsy-clients. After I had changed some "ltsp-scripts" (fixing local-device-prob or nautilus 100% cpu prob or.... I don't know which) some clients stopped booting so my students had to restart them. Too many traffic???? Gigabit Network/Switch!

the next prob: (I knew it after changing some scripts in Gutsy, too):
(Sometimes)After logging in the message appeared:
"You have logged in a new language: Do you want to update the standard folders in your home folders to the new language"
(I/We use German language)

Monitor resolution: The 19"-Monitor (iiyama) works only with 800x600, the other monitor (Highscreen 15") works fine (1024x768).
No problem with Gutsy!

USB-Stick prob: I noticed problems with different users/clients. Could it be that every individual USB-Stick is dedicated to a fixed user?
I had connected my sticks to user test11 in the beginning, now no other user can activate or see them???

kioskmode prob: testing kioskmode building
sudo ltsp-build-client --kiosk --base /opt/ltsp-kiosk/
ended with
"Base system installed successfully.
error: LTSP client installation ended abnormally"

Reiner

Old 01-19-2008, 11:49 AM
Oliver Grawert

hi,
On Sa, 2008-01-19 at 13:03 +0100, Reiner Schmid wrote:
> Hi
>
> ....part 2 of testing http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/daily/20080118/....
>
> When I started my 2 test clients (Siemens Scovery XS) at the same time only one passed through to ldm screen. The other stopped after ~20 seconds with a blinking -. This behaviour could reproduced.
> The same effect in my classroom with 8 Gutsy-clients.
that sounds rather like a switch configuration problem, is it always the
same client that shows this behavior ? does it switch over to the other
if you flip the cables on the switch ports ? and is the switch
manageable ?

> the next prob: (I knew it after changing some scripts in Gutsy, too):
> (Sometimes)After logging in the message appeared:
> "You have logged in a new language: Do you want to update the standard folders in your home folders to the new language"
> (I/We use German language)
thats gnome asking you if it should convert things like ~/Music to
~/Musik etc it should only ask you once though (not sure thats a bug or
a feature of gnome though ) ...

> Monitor resolution: The 19"-Monitor (iiyama) works only with 800x600, the other monitor (Highscreen 15") works fine (1024x768).
> No problem with Gutsy!
hmm, thats intresting, there were no changes in the configuration
scripts for X between gutsy and hardy (yet), that must be an X problem.
does it also do this if you create an lts.conf and add CONFIGURE_X=False
to it (that will start with us keyboard, careful ) ?
if it still behaves like that without any X configuration then thats a
bug in the X server

> USB-Stick prob: I noticed problems with different users/clients. Could it be that every individual USB-Stick is dedicated to a fixed user?
> I had connected my sticks to user test11 in the beginning, now no other user can activate or see them???

a USB key is only associated to the currently logged in user on one
terminal, no other user has access to it for security reasons. it will
only show up on his/her local desktop.

> kioskmode prob: testing kioskmode building
kioskmode didnt see much love the last two releases, its very likely
that it looks in the wrong location for the gdm.conf atm (trivial fix,
but i didnt get around to fix it yet)

thanks again for the feedback

ciao
oli