Old 01-18-2008, 03:06 PM
"Jim Kronebusch"

Default 10-Key pad not functional at login

Hello all, we just did a mass password update to all users that now includes numbers.
But the 10-Key pad does not have numlock enabled at login, so now we are getting a bunch
of users having problems at login. Numlock enables after login. Does anyone know of a
fix to enable numlock at the login screen? Using Feisty 7.04 with all updates,
LDM_DIRECTX, and DevonIT 6020p thin clients.

Thanks,

Jim Kronebusch
Cotter Tech Department
453-5188

Old 01-18-2008, 04:49 PM
"Jim Kronebusch"

On Fri, 18 Jan 2008 11:06:03 -0500, Jim Kronebusch wrote
> Hello all, we just did a mass password update to all users that now includes
> numbers. But the 10-Key pad does not have numlock enabled at login, so now we
> are getting a bunch of users having problems at login. Numlock enables after
> login. Does anyone know of a fix to enable numlock at the login screen?
> Using Feisty 7.04 with all updates, LDM_DIRECTX, and DevonIT 6020p thin clients.

I did find this info https://help.ubuntu.com/community/NumLock but it doesn't appear to
work for thin clients. I installed on the server, not in /opt/ltsp/i386. Maybe this is
the problem.

Jim

Old 01-18-2008, 04:57 PM
Oliver Grawert

hi,
On Fr, 2008-01-18 at 12:49 -0500, Jim Kronebusch wrote:
> I did find this info https://help.ubuntu.com/community/NumLock but it doesn't appear to
> work for thin clients. I installed on the server, not in /opt/ltsp/i386. Maybe this is
> the problem.
right, install it in the client chroot and start it from rc.local

ciao
oli

Old 01-18-2008, 06:36 PM
"Jim Kronebusch"

On Fri, 18 Jan 2008 18:57:37 +0100, Oliver Grawert wrote
> hi,
> On Fr, 2008-01-18 at 12:49 -0500, Jim Kronebusch wrote:
> > I did find this info https://help.ubuntu.com/community/NumLock but it doesn't appear to
> > work for thin clients. I installed on the server, not in /opt/ltsp/i386. Maybe this is
> > the problem.
> right, install it in the client chroot and start it from rc.local
>
> ciao
> oli

Thanks Oli. At the risk of sounding stupid, what do I put in rc.local? Do I just put the

if [ -x /usr/bin/numlockx ]; then
/usr/bin/numlockx on
fi

at the end just above the "exit 0"?

Thanks,

Jim

Old 01-18-2008, 08:08 PM
"Jim Kronebusch"

On Fri, 18 Jan 2008 14:36:21 -0500, Jim Kronebusch wrote
> On Fri, 18 Jan 2008 18:57:37 +0100, Oliver Grawert wrote
> > hi,
> > On Fr, 2008-01-18 at 12:49 -0500, Jim Kronebusch wrote:
> > > I did find this info https://help.ubuntu.com/community/NumLock but it doesn't
appear to
> > > work for thin clients. I installed on the server, not in /opt/ltsp/i386. Maybe
this is
> > > the problem.
> > right, install it in the client chroot and start it from rc.local
> >
> > ciao
> > oli
>
> Thanks Oli. At the risk of sounding stupid, what do I put in rc.local? Do I
> just put the
>
> if [ -x /usr/bin/numlockx ]; then
> /usr/bin/numlockx on
> fi
>
> at the end just above the "exit 0"?

Well, I did

sudo chroot /opt/ltsp/i386
then
apt-get install numlockx
then
vim /etc/rc.local
and pasted
if [ -x /usr/bin/numlockx ]; then
/usr/bin/numlockx on
fi
above "exit 0" and restarted the client. The NumLock light is on when the client boots,
but the 10-key doesn't work unless I hit numlock to turn it off then back on again. And
after I log out the numlock light is back off.

I also run gnome-watchdog, but since this is happening before login I wouldn't think
that would affect anything.

If anyone has any other suggestions let me know.

Thanks,
Jim