Old 08-02-2010, 11:22 PM
Jack ODonnell

Default Language Packages for Edubuntu

I'm relatively new to both Ubuntu and Edubuntu. The World Computer
Exchange sends refurbished computers to classrooms in developing
countries. We often ship machines with languages other than English
installed.

Jack ODonnell
World Computer Exchange
www.WorldComputerExchange.org
Chicago Coordinator
Regional Manager for Latin America
773 316 2944

Old 08-02-2010, 11:27 PM
Jack ODonnell

Apologies...I deleted a paragraph before I sent last note

I'm relatively new to both Ubuntu and Edubuntu. The World Computer
Exchange sends refurbished computers to classrooms in developing
countries. We often ship machines with languages other than English
installed.

I recently switched my laptop(Ubuntu 10.04 + Edubunt package) to Spanish.
Open Office, Firefox and a couple of the Edubuntu educational packages(GCompris and Chess) switched to Spanish.
The other packages did not.

Are the language packages for the educational packages in Edubuntu available?

Thanks

Old 08-03-2010, 02:28 AM
Stéphane Graber

On Mon, 2010-08-02 at 18:27 -0500, Jack ODonnell wrote:
> Apologies...I deleted a paragraph before I sent last note
>
> I'm relatively new to both Ubuntu and Edubuntu. The World Computer
> Exchange sends refurbished computers to classrooms in developing
> countries. We often ship machines with languages other than English
> installed.
>
> I recently switched my laptop(Ubuntu 10.04 + Edubunt package) to Spanish.
> Open Office, Firefox and a couple of the Edubuntu educational packages(GCompris and Chess) switched to Spanish.
> The other packages did not.
>
> Are the language packages for the educational packages in Edubuntu available?
>
> Thanks

Hello,

Edubuntu includes all of the available language packs in Ubuntu so it's
supposed to be as well translated as possible.

I really find it weird that these packages aren't properly translated in
Spanish and so I'm guessing something must be wrong with the language
packs.

Could you try with the DVD image in the live environment and see if it
happens there too ?
The live DVD is supposed to include all of the available languages and
so should offer you an environment in Spanish for all softwares that do
support it.

--
Stéphane Graber
Ubuntu developer

Old 08-03-2010, 05:19 AM
"Jorge E. Gomez"

On Mon, Aug 2, 2010 at 18:27, Jack ODonnell
<jodonnell@worldcomputerexchange.org> wrote:

> I'm relatively new to both Ubuntu and Edubuntu. *The World Computer
> Exchange sends refurbished computers to classrooms in developing
> countries. *We often ship machines with languages other than English
> installed.
>
> I recently switched my laptop(Ubuntu 10.04 + Edubunt package) to Spanish.
> Open Office, Firefox and a couple of the Edubuntu educational packages(GCompris and Chess) switched to Spanish.
> The other packages did not.
>
> Jack ODonnell
> World Computer Exchange
> www.WorldComputerExchange.org
> Chicago Coordinator
> Regional Manager for Latin America
> 773 316 2944

Jack,

Check the installed packages with "aptitude search ~ilang". For
spanish support you need:

language-pack-gnome-es-base
language-pack-gnome-es
language-pack-es-base
language-pack-es
language-support-es

--
Jorge E. Gómez,
Bogotá, Colombia

Old 08-03-2010, 02:38 PM
Jack ODonnell

Stephane and Jorge

Thanks for the reply.

Jorge I did check the language packages that were installed. All were
installed. I removed them and reinstalled. Still I have only some of
the educational software in Spanish. NOTE: only some of the software
added by the edubuntu package is an issue. Everything else is in
Spanish.
language-pack-gnome-es-base
language-pack-gnome-es
language-pack-es-base
language-pack-es
language-support-es
language-pack-kde-es
langauge-pack-kde-es-base

Stephane
I did try the Live Edubuntu. All of the Edubuntu educational software
is in Spanish during the live session. I know I can solve my problem by
doing a DVD-install of Edubuntu. I'm a bit curious about the cause of
this problem.

Basically I first CD installed Ubuntu 10.04 in English; then I added
Edubuntu; then I added Spanish. Could there be a problem with this
sequence?

Jack

Old 08-03-2010, 05:24 PM
"Jonathan Carter (highvoltage)"

Hi Jack

On 03/08/2010 10:38, Jack ODonnell wrote:
> Jorge I did check the language packages that were installed. All were
> installed. I removed them and reinstalled. Still I have only some of
> the educational software in Spanish. NOTE: only some of the software
> added by the edubuntu package is an issue. Everything else is in
> Spanish.
> language-pack-gnome-es-base
> language-pack-gnome-es
> language-pack-es-base
> language-pack-es
> language-support-es
> language-pack-kde-es
> langauge-pack-kde-es-base
>
> Stephane
> I did try the Live Edubuntu. All of the Edubuntu educational software
> is in Spanish during the live session. I know I can solve my problem by
> doing a DVD-install of Edubuntu. I'm a bit curious about the cause of
> this problem.
>
> Basically I first CD installed Ubuntu 10.04 in English; then I added
> Edubuntu; then I added Spanish. Could there be a problem with this
> sequence?

Sorry if this is a bit too obvious, but have you chosen Spanish at the
language drop-down menu at the login prompt?

-Jonathan

Old 08-03-2010, 06:32 PM
Stéphane Graber

On Tue, 2010-08-03 at 09:38 -0500, Jack ODonnell wrote:
> Stephane and Jorge
>
> Thanks for the reply.
>
> Jorge I did check the language packages that were installed. All were
> installed. I removed them and reinstalled. Still I have only some of
> the educational software in Spanish. NOTE: only some of the software
> added by the edubuntu package is an issue. Everything else is in
> Spanish.
> language-pack-gnome-es-base
> language-pack-gnome-es
> language-pack-es-base
> language-pack-es
> language-support-es
> language-pack-kde-es
> langauge-pack-kde-es-base
>
> Stephane
> I did try the Live Edubuntu. All of the Edubuntu educational software
> is in Spanish during the live session. I know I can solve my problem by
> doing a DVD-install of Edubuntu. I'm a bit curious about the cause of
> this problem.
>
> Basically I first CD installed Ubuntu 10.04 in English; then I added
> Edubuntu; then I added Spanish. Could there be a problem with this
> sequence?
>
> Jack
>

> El lun, 02-08-2010 a las 22:28 -0400, Stéphane Graber escribió:
> > On Mon, 2010-08-02 at 18:27 -0500, Jack ODonnell wrote:
> > > Apologies...I deleted a paragraph before I sent last note
> > >
> > > I'm relatively new to both Ubuntu and Edubuntu. The World Computer
> > > Exchange sends refurbished computers to classrooms in developing
> > > countries. We often ship machines with languages other than English
> > > installed.
> > >
> > > I recently switched my laptop(Ubuntu 10.04 + Edubunt package) to Spanish.
> > > Open Office, Firefox and a couple of the Edubuntu educational packages(GCompris and Chess) switched to Spanish.
> > > The other packages did not.
> > >
> > > Are the language packages for the educational packages in Edubuntu available?
> > >
> > > Thanks
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > Edubuntu includes all of the available language packs in Ubuntu so it's
> > supposed to be as well translated as possible.
> >
> > I really find it weird that these packages aren't properly translated in
> > Spanish and so I'm guessing something must be wrong with the language
> > packs.
> >
> > Could you try with the DVD image in the live environment and see if it
> > happens there too ?
> > The live DVD is supposed to include all of the available languages and
> > so should offer you an environment in Spanish for all softwares that do
> > support it.

I guess that the language support tool doesn't install all of the
translation packages when adding support for spanish.

You might find your issue by comparing the list of installed language
packages between the DVD and your current installed system.

--
Stéphane Graber
Ubuntu developer