Old 01-17-2008, 11:20 AM
Uwe Geercken

Default two servers: dhcp priority

asmo,

as you are talking about dhcp. when you have two dhcp servers in one
network, which one is picked up first.

right now, I have to unplug the windows server, otherwise the machines
always boot first from that server, which has a specialized software
to restore clients etc. once unplugged the clients boot well from the
edubuntu server I have.

rgds,

uwe

Old 01-17-2008, 11:37 AM
Oliver Grawert

hi,
On Do, 2008-01-17 at 13:20 +0100, Uwe Geercken wrote:
> as you are talking about dhcp. when you have two dhcp servers in one
> network, which one is picked up first.
the one that replies first .... its totally unpredictable which one that
is as this is influenced by the network load, response speed of the NIC,
system load of the server etc.

just dont run more than one in one network its guaranteed to break ...

ciao
oli

Old 01-17-2008, 01:41 PM
Uwe Geercken

I thought this was the case. the problem is, that I am not allowed to
mess around with the windows stuff and the network. so I disconnect
the windows server from the switch and hook up the edubuntu server.
that works.

and maybe it is ok this way, so nobody can say "the network does not
work its the fault of linux", as people tend to do sometimes.

tks.

uwe

Old 01-17-2008, 06:28 PM
Asmo Koskinen

Uwe Geercken kirjoitti:
> as you are talking about dhcp. when you have two dhcp servers in one
> network, which one is picked up first.

I got one system with two ltsp-servers (ubuntu 6.06+ltsp 4.2), both have
dhcp3-server (failover/master/slave). On that network there are 113 HP
t5125/5135 thin clients.

1. Network:
http://www.arkki.info/howto/Wiki/LTSP-Valokuvat/LTSP-Mantykangas.png

2. Master server:
http://www.arkki.info/howto/Wiki/LTSP-Mantykangas/dhcpd.conf-master.txt

3. Slave server:
http://www.arkki.info/howto/Wiki/LTSP-Mantykangas/dhcpd.conf-slave.txt

4. All conf-files for that system:
http://www.arkki.info/howto/Wiki/LTSP-Mantykangas/

5. Wiki page in finnish:
http://wiki.ubuntu-fi.org/Ubuntu_6.06_LTSP42

6. A classroom:

http://www.mantykankaankoulu.kokkola.fi/vme/tunninal/tunninal.html

------
Then I got that other system for my own office, there is only one
dhcp-server, Windows dhcp server.

So use only one Windows dhcp server on mixed network, setup in Windows
server:

http://www.arkki.info/howto/Wiki/LTSP5_64/Edubuntu_Classroom_Server_7.10_x86_64_Windows_dhcp d.png

On linux-only network it is possible to use two dhcp servers with
failover system.

------
But I have not tried two Edubuntu Classroom Servers on same network as
failover system. I think it should work same way as my Ubuntu 6.06 +
ltsp 4.2 system. There is something for that:

https://wiki.edubuntu.org/EdubuntuDHCPload-balancingFailover

Best Regards Asmo Koskinen.