Old 01-16-2008, 05:58 AM
"S Gormican"

Default Login Problem

I’m helping out with an orphanage in Mexico that recently
added 4 computers to the 10 I have there. *Edubunto is loaded on all of them, but it
requires a username and a password and the donor is not known.* I can’t even access the CD.* Is there a way to reload the system or
access the CD to load Windows? *I
downloaded the CD from Edubunto, but I’m afraid it won’t recognize
it.* How do you get into BIOS on
Edubunto to get it to boot from D: when you don’t have the username and
password?* Any help would be
appreciated.

*

Steve

Checked by AVG Free Edition.

Old 01-16-2008, 01:39 PM
Gavin McCullagh

Hi,

On Tue, 15 Jan 2008, S Gormican wrote:

> I’m helping out with an orphanage in Mexico that recently added 4
> computers to the 10 I have there. Edubunto is loaded on all of them,
> but it requires a username and a password and the donor is not known.

When you start it booting, there should be a BIOS screen, followed by a
brief countdown during which you can press ESC to get a boot menu. If you
want to reset the password for Edubuntu, you can follow these instructions:

1. Press ESC as described above.

2. Choose the first "recovery mode" boot option, which is probably second
in the list and press <return>.

3. The computer should boot to a command shell (which looks like a DOS
prompt).

4. Type
ls /home
and press <return>. You should see a list of the usernames on the
machine. Ignore the one called "lost+found". Pick the other one, or
one other ones.

5. Type
passwd XXXXX
putting where XXXXX is the username you found in [4]. You will be
prompted for a new password.

6. Type
reboot
and the machine will reboot as normal. You can then login to Edubuntu
using the username you got in [4] and the password you set in [5].

> I can’t even access the CD. Is there a way to reload the system or
> access the CD to load Windows? I downloaded the CD from Edubunto, but
> I’m afraid it won’t recognize it.

Edubuntu will not stop you installing windows if that's what you want. You
might need to go into the BIOS and get it boot a CDROM. How exactly this
is done is specific to your model of computer.

> How do you get into BIOS on Edubunto to get it to boot from D: when you
> don’t have the username and password? Any help would be appreciated.

The BIOS is part of the computer hardware (well, it's on a chip on the
motherboard) and has nothing to do with Edubuntu. How you get the BIOS to
boot from CDROM drive, is usually a case of pressing a certain key early in
the boot sequence (eg <esc>, <F2>, <F10>, <DEL>), getting into the BIOS
menu and modifying the boot order so that CDROM is first.

You can then make us all very sad by putting a windows CD in and rebooting.

Gavin

Old 01-16-2008, 01:48 PM
"wayne abroue"

2008/1/16 S Gormican <sgormic1@san.rr.com>:

> I'm helping out with an orphanage in Mexico that recently added 4 computers
> to the 10 I have there. Edubunto is loaded on all of them, but it requires
> a username and a password and the donor is not known. I can't even access
> the CD. Is there a way to reload the system or access the CD to load
> Windows? I downloaded the CD from Edubunto, but I'm afraid it won't
> recognize it. How do you get into BIOS on Edubunto to get it to boot from
> D: when you don't have the username and password? Any help would be
> appreciated.
>

> Steve

Rather try edubuntu out first u might like it!
When the machine boots press esc to enter grub menu select a option
and press e(edit)

Change boot parameters to boot into single user mode, ie add single to
the line. press b( boot)
Once it's finished booting run command passwd
this will change the root password, so reboot and when it asks for a
user enter *root* and the passwd You entered previously.

Old 01-17-2008, 06:59 AM
Uwe Geercken

Steve,

please don't put windows on those machines. I believe I speak for all
when I say, give us some more details, ask more questions and we will
get your setup going.

can you please provide us with more details on the computers: brand
and type. we might find out how to get into the Bios through other
channels.

Usually the first screen when you start the computer indicates how to
get to either the Bios or how to display a boot menu whichs displays
all devices you can boot from: c:, cd, etc.

give us some more details and I am confident we will find a way.

rgds,

uwe

Old 01-17-2008, 07:47 AM
Asmo Koskinen

Uwe Geercken kirjoitti:
> Steve,
>
> please don't put windows on those machines. I believe I speak for all
> when I say, give us some more details, ask more questions and we will
> get your setup going.

I got "new" thin clients for my updated Edubuntu Classroom Server 7.10
x86_64 environment:

http://marc.info/?l=ltsp-discuss&m=119453643600375&w=2

Before I was able to hit F2 (BIOS Setup) I did have to remove battery
for a while on the motherboard, because there was password for BIOS and
I did not know that password. That blew away password. Then in the BIOS
I did have to change boot device priority - network boot as a first
device (pxe).

After all that these PC's works very well with Edubuntu - I even use
Windows dhcp-server as only dhcp-server on our mixed network and removed
dhcp3-server from Edubuntu:

http://marc.info/?l=ltsp-discuss&m=119999464026181&w=2

Best Regards Asmo Koskinen.

Old 10-04-2012, 07:33 PM
Glenn English

squeese

I'm installing a server for a small business. Last week, a user could get her email. She's on a Mac; the server is Debian. I tried to get connectivity between her Mac and the server so she could keep some stuff on the server. Now her email is gone. She can ping and telnet, but ssh and email don't work anymore. I can connect with no problem, but she can't, nor can new users I create. This happens on her machine and on a laptop I've connected to the LAN.

I'm suspecting this has something to do with telnet and SSH/IMAP using different ways of validating passwords. The firewall is OK or telnet wouldn't work, and the only things I've tried are telnet, ping, IMAP, and SSH. I also suspect that something I did yesterday trying NFS and Netatalk broke things.

Can anyone shine a little light this way?? Like, am I right that there's a password problem, and what can I do about it?

TIA...

--
Glenn English

Old 10-04-2012, 10:27 PM
Glenn English

On Oct 4, 2012, at 2:33 PM, Glenn English wrote:

> squeese
>
> Can anyone shine a little light this way?? Like, am I right that there's a password problem, and what can I do about it?

Hate to reply to my own whinage, but it's fixed. It was a misconfigure in SSH.

--
Glenn English