Old 11-23-2007, 06:27 PM
Sameer Verma

Default Edubuntu 7.10 DVD ISO corrupt?

endym@gmx.net wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've tried to download the Edubuntu 7.10 DVD ISO from <http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/edubuntu/dvd/current/> and <http://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/ubuntu-cdimage/edubuntu/dvd/current/> but in both cases I only get about 200-400MB without any error message!
> I need the DVD due to the text mode installation feature, which I haven't found on the Live-CD. The graphical installer on the Live-CD is extremely slow on my laptop. :-(
>
> Thanks for any help!

How about using the torrent mode for downloading? I am running it
currently and it seems to work ok. I'll leave it running for a few days
in case that helps you.

http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/edubuntu/dvd/current/gutsy-dvd-i386.iso.torrent

Torrent should also take care of any bits that may corrupt.

Sameer

--
Dr. Sameer Verma, Ph.D.
San Francisco State University

Old 11-26-2007, 01:21 PM

Unfortunately I can't use a torrent client at work and the internet speed at home is not the best!
Actually I have used the Server CD to made the installation in text mode, which works fine. Next steps will be to remove the LTSP stuff and add the educational programs from the Server Add-on CD.

So long
endym

-------- Original-Nachricht --------

Old 11-28-2007, 03:25 PM

I haven't found a text mode installer on the desktop CD. Maybe this is new since 7.10?
If I'm wrong, please tell me!

-------- Original-Nachricht --------

--
Psssst! Schon vom neuen GMX MultiMessenger gehŲrt?

Old 11-28-2007, 04:30 PM
"Jim Hutchinson"

On 11/28/07, endym@gmx.net <endym@gmx.net> wrote:
> I haven't found a text mode installer on the desktop CD. Maybe this is new since 7.10?
> If I'm wrong, please tell me!

In the past there was text mode but I'm not 100% sure about 7.10.
However, I do have a shipit CD for Edubuntu that I just tried and the
default install is text mode. I don't even see an option to run it as
a live CD. Actually good to know as I gave this to a teacher for his
kids. I know the one I downloaded was a live CD so if that is what you
have there may not be a text mode. So, to answer your question I guess
it depends on which CD you have. The live CDs usually have a "safe
graphics mode" which either use a generic driver or text mode (can't
remember which) but that might be an option.

Jim

Old 11-29-2007, 10:25 AM

As far as I know there are 3 versions of edubuntu install CDs:

Desktop CD (Live CD)
--------------------
Has a graphics installer only (safe graphics mode doesn't work on my laptop)

Classroom Server CD
-------------------
Has a text mode installer, which I have used. After installing the Server Add-on CD I have now quite the same result like install the Desktop CD.

DVD Release
-----------
Contains the Desktop and Server ISOs, but I couldn't download it.

I guess the shipit version you mentioned should be equal to the Desktop version!?
However, now I have edubuntu installed on my laptop successfully and hope that my little son will love it! :-)

A hint for all german speaking people: On <http://www.jux-net.info/> you can download a Live CD ISO (based on Knoppix) with a very simple GUI for children of preschool age.

Great thanks to all!
endym

-------- Original-Nachricht --------

Old 11-29-2007, 11:00 AM

Hello Boyding!

Unfortunately I don't have any experiences with Macs.
If you can't boot from CD in general, then maybe the CD-ROM drive is not selected as first boot device in the BIOS? Another problem could be, that your BIOS is not compatible to the boot block on the edubuntu ISO. In this case a Mac forum would be good place to post your issue.

-------- Original-Nachricht --------