FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Edubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 04-06-2010, 06:01 PM
Sameer Verma
 
Default using proxy DHCP

So, our campus IP folks came by over the Spring break and "upgraded"
our network and broke the LTSP lab setup completely. We cannot run our
own DHCP server and serve private IPs anymore. Each client, which is a
full XP machine is connected to teh campus network and must get its IP
from the campus DHCP server (totally off limits for us).

So, we are going to switch over to proxy DHCP.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuLTSP/ProxyDHCP

The lab has 33 machines connected to a switch. The LTSP server
(eth0=public IP) is also connected to this switch. How do I restrict
pxeboot of the 33 machines from LTSP and not to everyone else in the
bldg? Note that as per the instructions at
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuLTSP/ProxyDHCP we've removed
dhcp and installed dnsmasq. We have a list of MAC addresses for all 33
machines. Where do these get specified?

Any help would be much appreciated. Class meets tomorrow!

cheers,
Sameer
--
Dr. Sameer Verma, Ph.D.
Associate Professor, Information Systems
Director, Campus Business Solutions
San Francisco State University
http://verma.sfsu.edu/
http://cbs.sfsu.edu/
http://is.sfsu.edu/

--
edubuntu-users mailing list
edubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/edubuntu-users
 
Old 04-06-2010, 07:18 PM
Robert Citek
 
Default using proxy DHCP

On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 2:01 PM, Sameer Verma <sverma@sfsu.edu> wrote:
> The lab has 33 machines connected to a switch. The LTSP server
> (eth0=public IP) is also connected to this switch. How do I restrict
> pxeboot of the 33 machines from LTSP and not to everyone else in the
> bldg?

If in a pinch (i.e. not enough time to figure out the proxyDHCP) and
if you have physical access to the switch and the LTSP server, could
you throw in a NAT router or turn the LTSP server into one (you'd need
an extra Ethernet card and a cable)?

Good luck and let us know how things go.

Regards,
- Robert

--
edubuntu-users mailing list
edubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/edubuntu-users
 
Old 04-06-2010, 09:11 PM
Sameer Verma
 
Default using proxy DHCP

On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 12:18 PM, Robert Citek <robert.citek@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 2:01 PM, Sameer Verma <sverma@sfsu.edu> wrote:
>> The lab has 33 machines connected to a switch. The LTSP server
>> (eth0=public IP) is also connected to this switch. How do I restrict
>> pxeboot of the 33 machines from LTSP and not to everyone else in the
>> bldg?
>
> If in a pinch (i.e. not enough time to figure out the proxyDHCP) and
> if you have physical access to the switch and the LTSP server, could
> you throw in a NAT router or turn the LTSP server into one (you'd need
> an extra Ethernet card and a cable)?
>

No, we are not allowed to do NAT or use our own switches, hence the dilemma.

Sameer

> Good luck and let us know how things go.
>
> Regards,
> - Robert
>
> --
> edubuntu-users mailing list
> edubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
> Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/edubuntu-users
>

--
edubuntu-users mailing list
edubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/edubuntu-users
 
Old 04-06-2010, 09:37 PM
Robert Citek
 
Default using proxy DHCP

On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 5:11 PM, Sameer Verma <sverma@sfsu.edu> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 12:18 PM, Robert Citek <robert.citek@gmail.com> wrote:
>> If in a pinch (i.e. not enough time to figure out the proxyDHCP) and
>> if you have physical access to the switch and the LTSP server, could
>> you throw in a NAT router or turn the LTSP server into one (you'd need
>> an extra Ethernet card and a cable)?
>
> No, we are not allowed to do NAT or use our own switches, hence the dilemma.

Another option: find the person who is responsible for enforcing the
"not allowed" policy and take him/her out to enjoy a bit of their
favorite beverage, while explaining that you have a long-term
solution, which works within the guidelines, and a short-term
solution, which requires a bit of bending the rules. Most folks I've
known are pretty reasonable for such requests.

Interesting how the social and technical worlds intersect.

Regards,
- Robert

--
edubuntu-users mailing list
edubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/edubuntu-users
 
Old 04-07-2010, 04:24 PM
Jim Christiansen
 
Default using proxy DHCP

** * host lass-1 {** * * *hardware ethernet * * 00:14:857:C9:71;** * * *fixed-address * * * * 192.168.1.112;** * }
** * host lass-3 { hardware ethernet * * 00:14:857:C7:9F;
fixed-address * * *192.168.1.113;** * }
** * host lass-4 {
* hardware ethernet * * 00:11:0A:A20:75;** * * *fixed-address * * * * 192.168.1.114;** *}
** *host ws001 {
** * * *#hardware ethernet * * 00:40:F4:C5:BC:AF; hardware ethernet * * 00:13:72:12:E9:C7;** * * *fixed-address * * * * 192.168.1.51;
** * * *filename * * * * * * *"/ltsp/i386/pxelinux.0";** *}
** *host ws002 {** * * *#hardware ethernet * * 00:40:F4:B28:6C; hardware ethernet * * 00:14:22:5A:92:4A;
** * * *fixed-address * * * * 192.168.1.52;** * * *filename * * * * * * *"/ltsp/i386/pxelinux.0";# * * * *filename * * * * * * *"/lts/vmlinuz.ltsp";** *}I specify the macs in /etc/ltsp/dhcpd.conf.

Here is a snip of my file:
Hope this helps.

--
edubuntu-users mailing list
edubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/edubuntu-users
 
Old 04-07-2010, 05:04 PM
Sameer Verma
 
Default using proxy DHCP

On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 9:24 AM, Jim Christiansen
<jim.c.christiansen@gmail.com> wrote:
> ** * host lass-1 {
> ** * * *hardware ethernet * * 00:14:857:C9:71;
> ** * * *fixed-address * * * * 192.168.1.112;
> ** * }
> ** * host lass-3 {
> hardware ethernet * * 00:14:857:C7:9F;
> fixed-address * * *192.168.1.113;
> ** * }
> ** * host lass-4 {
> * hardware ethernet * * 00:11:0A:A20:75;
> ** * * *fixed-address * * * * 192.168.1.114;
> ** *}
> ** *host ws001 {
> ** * * *#hardware ethernet * * 00:40:F4:C5:BC:AF;
> hardware ethernet * * 00:13:72:12:E9:C7;
> ** * * *fixed-address * * * * 192.168.1.51;
> ** * * *filename * * * * * * *"/ltsp/i386/pxelinux.0";
> ** *}
> ** *host ws002 {
> ** * * *#hardware ethernet * * 00:40:F4:B28:6C;
> hardware ethernet * * 00:14:22:5A:92:4A;
> ** * * *fixed-address * * * * 192.168.1.52;
> ** * * *filename * * * * * * *"/ltsp/i386/pxelinux.0";
> # * * * *filename * * * * * * *"/lts/vmlinuz.ltsp";
> ** *}
> I specify the macs in /etc/ltsp/dhcpd.conf.
> Here is a snip of my file:
> Hope this helps.
>
> --
> edubuntu-users mailing list
> edubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
> Modify settings or unsubscribe at:
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/edubuntu-users
>
>

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the sample. This is when using the dhcpd option in a
typical LTSP setup. I am using dnsmasq and would like to ignore
unknown MACs. The setup works so far (it boots the lab machines as
expected) but I do not wish to serve DHCP to unknown MAC addresses.

Anybody using dnsmasq?

Sameer
--
Dr. Sameer Verma, Ph.D.
Associate Professor, Information Systems
Director, Campus Business Solutions
San Francisco State University
http://verma.sfsu.edu/
http://cbs.sfsu.edu/
http://is.sfsu.edu/

--
edubuntu-users mailing list
edubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/edubuntu-users
 
Old 04-07-2010, 05:08 PM
Jim Christiansen
 
Default using proxy DHCP

I do the dhcp through macs but do not supply any range of dhcp through the daemon. * Just comment out the range:
subnet 192.168.1.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {# * *range 192.168.1.70 192.168.1.72;
** *option domain-name "room101.pcsscreston.ca";
I think this should work. It works for me.
On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 10:04 AM, Sameer Verma <sverma@sfsu.edu> wrote:

On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 9:24 AM, Jim Christiansen

<jim.c.christiansen@gmail.com> wrote:

> ** * host lass-1 {

> ** * * *hardware ethernet * * 00:14:857:C9:71;

> ** * * *fixed-address * * * * 192.168.1.112;

> ** * }

> ** * host lass-3 {

> hardware ethernet * * 00:14:857:C7:9F;

> fixed-address * * *192.168.1.113;

> ** * }

> ** * host lass-4 {

> * hardware ethernet * * 00:11:0A:A20:75;

> ** * * *fixed-address * * * * 192.168.1.114;

> ** *}

> ** *host ws001 {

> ** * * *#hardware ethernet * * 00:40:F4:C5:BC:AF;

> hardware ethernet * * 00:13:72:12:E9:C7;

> ** * * *fixed-address * * * * 192.168.1.51;

> ** * * *filename * * * * * * *"/ltsp/i386/pxelinux.0";

> ** *}

> ** *host ws002 {

> ** * * *#hardware ethernet * * 00:40:F4:B28:6C;

> hardware ethernet * * 00:14:22:5A:92:4A;

> ** * * *fixed-address * * * * 192.168.1.52;

> ** * * *filename * * * * * * *"/ltsp/i386/pxelinux.0";

> # * * * *filename * * * * * * *"/lts/vmlinuz.ltsp";

> ** *}

> I specify the macs in /etc/ltsp/dhcpd.conf.

> Here is a snip of my file:

> Hope this helps.

>

> --

> edubuntu-users mailing list

> edubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com

> Modify settings or unsubscribe at:

> https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/edubuntu-users

>

>



Hi Jim,



Thanks for the sample. This is when using the dhcpd option in a

typical LTSP setup. I am using dnsmasq and would like to ignore

unknown MACs. The setup works so far (it boots the lab machines as

expected) but I do not wish to serve DHCP to unknown MAC addresses.



Anybody using dnsmasq?



Sameer

--

Dr. Sameer Verma, Ph.D.

Associate Professor, Information Systems

Director, Campus Business Solutions

San Francisco State University

http://verma.sfsu.edu/

http://cbs.sfsu.edu/

http://is.sfsu.edu/



--
edubuntu-users mailing list
edubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/edubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 10:56 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org