Old 04-01-2010, 09:27 PM
Joseph Hartman

Default help configuring /etc/network/interfaces?

Hi all, I cloned a karmic ltsp server onto a new machine and can't configure /etc/network/interfaces so that I get LTSP working and Internet simultaneously. If /interfaces says:

# The loopback network interface

auto lo

iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface

auto eth2

# iface eth2 inet dhcp

auto eth0

iface eth0 inet static

*** address 192.168.0.254

*** netmask 255.255.255.0

*** network 192.168.0.0

*** broadcast 192.168.0.255

*** up iptables-restore < /etc/ltsp/nat

then I get my LTSP network working fine, but no Internet. In this configuration "ip route" shows this:

192.168.0.0/24 dev eth0_rename* proto kernel* scope link* src 192.168.0.254* metric 1

192.168.0.0/24 dev eth2* proto kernel* scope link* src 192.168.0.254* metric 1

169.254.0.0/16 dev eth2* scope link* metric 1000

default via 192.168.0.254 dev eth2* proto static

If I delete everything below the "# iface eth2 inet dhcp" line, Internet works great, but I don't get LTSP obviously. Can anyone help me out? I don't get the "eth0_rename" thing at all, but I already tried renaming eth0 to eth0_rename and it didn't help. Thanks -Joe

Old 04-01-2010, 11:24 PM
"R. Scott Belford"

On Thu, Apr 1, 2010 at 11:27 AM, Joseph Hartman <jlhartman@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all, I cloned a karmic ltsp server onto a new machine and can't configure
> /etc/network/interfaces so that I get LTSP working and Internet
> simultaneously. If /interfaces says:

The physical device that is assigned to your software settings in
/etc/network/interfaces can be modified in
/etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-network-settings

This is from memory. Get into the /etc/udev/rules.d/ directory, and
you'll see the file. You can either delete it (it's recreated upon
reboot) or edit the ethX settings. It's straightforward.

In the Ubuntu world, you can install and run oem-config prior to
imaging and your usernames and network settings are reset.

--scott

Old 04-02-2010, 12:17 AM
Jordan Erickson

Joseph,

I don't see a 'gateway' stanza in your interfaces file for eth0..might
explain no Internet access.

Cheers,
Jordan

---

--
Jordan Erickson
(707) 636-5678 - http://www.logicalnetworking.net

Old 04-02-2010, 02:10 AM
ekul taylor

The missing gateway also caught my eye.
I was also wondering why you activate eth2 but don't assign it any address. *The line that would use DHCP is commented out and from your ip route list it appears to be getting an automatic private ip. *I assume that has been assigned by NetworkManager.

How does your ltsp sever connect to the internet? *It is connected directly to a DSL or Cable modem? *Part of a school-wide network? *Something else? *Whatever it is I think you need to specify how that interface should be configured and make it the default route for the server.

Old 04-02-2010, 04:59 AM
Joseph Hartman

Thanks for the help everyone. I'll try some of this tomorrow. I don't think the lack of a designated gateway is the problem. I should have mentioned that with the entire /interfaces file copied above, I get no internet on the server itself, although clients will boot just fine. To answer your question ekul, the LTSP server is part of the schoolwide network. I just need eth2 to be assigned an IP address from the DHCP server and it will give internet to the clients. I tried uncommenting that line below eth2 but it didn't change anything. This is the same /interfaces file on my other LTSP server and it works perfectly, except that the interfaces on that server are designated as eth0 and eth1, so when I cloned to the new server the interface designations were incorrect. I'll try Scott's suggestion of deleting the persistent network settings and seeing if it corrects anything. Thanks for the help, I'll report back tomorrow.

Old 04-02-2010, 06:25 PM
Joseph Hartman

Solved! Thanks for the help everyone. Scott's advice worked brilliantly. It looks like somehow both network interfaces were designated as eth2 for some reason, but I just deleted the 70-persistent-net.rules file in /etc/udev/rules.d and restarted the system and all is good. Thanks for the prompt replies all. Cheers -Joe